2024-03-28, 13:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SP Campaign  (Read 5489 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2008-02-28, 00:51 »

I was knocking around on a few maps the other day and I was thinking (no, it didn't hurt - much): since 1.0 is getting a reworked UI and a single player campaign what would be the chances of upping the map count per tier (say five perhaps)? My reasoning is that if the tiers are class-based, then there would be five of them. As it stands, if you count in a training level and a boss fight against Xaero, that's 22 maps, which is a bit short. 27 seems a bit more of a meaty challenge IMO. Just a thought.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-28, 02:10 »

Well, the exact nature of the Generations-ish SP campaign hasn't been fleshed out, but the basic idea would be to have two SP modes - one would be the normal Q3 maps, but with each bot working like they currently do in Generations.  The second would be themed and classic maps, fighting up through the various Generations in some manner.  I don't want to get too specific because it's going to depend a lot on what maps are available at the time we go to implement.  Plus, I don't want to spoil too much or suggest something that might get changed later.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2008-02-28, 07:08 »

This reminded me that I posted an idea for a Generations Single Player campaign a while back.  It basically follows what Quake 3's single player was like (going through tiers and fighting groups of bots).  The general idea is, each tier represents a different generation to face against.  First its Earth, then Doom, then Slippy, etc., all done in the order the original games were published.

The link to that idea is here:

http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.php?topic=2869.0

EDIT:  Wow, that needs to be tweaked.  I have a more updated version of that list/setup, I think.

-JL
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: 2008-03-03, 21:14 »

Yeah something like that would be cool, because there are plenty of maps out there (probably in the map pack already) that do seem to be done in a style that fits one of the particular ID games, and that are awesome, too.

A bit of a variation on your idea would be something that would feel a little more akin to the gameplay of the original games, so basically, if you die once it's game over and you have to survive for a certain amount of time with more and more enemies spawning in. Or just kill a certain number of them.

So the storyline could be something like, say for the Doom class, you are sent in to an arena by the Vadrigar, and the Vadrigar spawn in masses of enemies that you killed in all the Doom games so you've got to survive against hundreds of imps or revenants or whatever that would be great. I think that would add some variety to the game, because it would be different than a standard deathmatch, and feel old-school. Like, all the monsters could work together to kill you, but obviously they're not as smart as normal bots or something.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2008-03-03, 22:28 »

This touches on an idea called Resurgence that was floated very early on in development.  It was to utilize the Hunt mod's logic for spawning "monsters" that use existing Q3 player models and a scripting system, etc.  It functioned in testing and Id gave us permissions for this kind of plug-in monster system, but the code was never merged from the early test into the main mod.  Q3 went through several point source releases which required updating our source, plus there were a lot of bugs in the class system, etc.  The coding and development of the default multiplayer game took precedence, our team shrank which shifted workload to fewer individuals, and Resurgence was shelved as a concept and project until after 1.0 is completed so that the default gameplay modes could be completed, bugtested, and made fully functional prior to any attempt at making Resurgence a reality.

I've been asked about Resurgence a lot through Gen's development, and I won't say that it's dead as an idea, nor that it will be something we complete, mainly because I was not directly involved with that coding project, nor do I know what state the Hunt mod's source is currently in.  It may or may not be compatible with a lot of changes and hacks I've had to implement just to get .99f working.  I can't tell you how freaking complicated it was just getting the guns to render animation frames smoothly.  That alone took a minor miracle, and I've hacked the code up even more since I started on the post-.99f coding.  I can't know if Resurgence or any similar project is possible until after 1.0 is done, and then I'm not entirely certain I'll be wanting able to tackle that type of coding project.  That's why I've kept fairly silent on the subject unless asked or unless posts such as this pop up that hint at something similar.  My main concern at present is making the multiplayer deathmatch/ctf/teamDM modes working flawlessly, followed by making the Q3 Tier-based Single Player campaign functional again.  After that's done, I'll consider additional gameplay modes and possibly Resurgence.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #5 on: 2008-03-10, 22:13 »

I have an idea regarding the single player

what about if it was 1 of 5 options that you could select at any time

that had you fighting through that gen's opponents till you had to face off with the boss of that generations

kinda like the tier system but you could do it in any order

and the bosses could be

Earth = Sarge
Doom = Doom
Slipgate = Ranger
Strogg = Grunt
Arena = Visor

or alternatively

it could be a mission based narrative playing as Sarge starting in world war 2, then moving through the years to the doom wars, the slipgate incursion, the strogg war until he gets captured by the vadrigar, where he tries to make a bid for freedom by taking on the vadrigar

just an idea
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: