2024-04-20, 02:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast Server Set Up Questions  (Read 7872 times)
PrOxY

Dopefish

« on: 2008-07-23, 20:42 »

Hi,

Some friends have had a Q3A server with Art of War Central for years, and recently gave me control access to change it up. I would like to run a Generations server on it. Unfortunately, I have had some challenges getting the mod to run properly on my MacPro (so my ability to test things is basically zero), but I can play on THE generations server listed on this site. So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a way to have the server set up to basically ONLY play in Slipgate (Q1) mode (using just those textures, models and etc)? Were basically all old Q1 clan guys, so it would be great If so (perhaps past a .cfg)?

2. Can someone running the mod on a Mac help me out? The errors I am getting when I try the mod in single player all happen just as the maps about to load (about 95% ready), and are similar to this: "Hunk_Allocate Tempmemory: Failed 262152".

My file structure is pictured  here = http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/proxy2/Files.jpg

Many thanks, and I hope we can this up and running:)

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-07-24, 02:16 »

Generations doesn't support single player at present, at least, not the single player tiers from Q3.  When you start Generations it should be through a shortcut using the following argument:

+set fs_game generations

Don't load Q3 and use the MODS menu or it will override some important settings.  I'm not sure how you do it on a Mac, but from Windows here's an example:

"C:\Games\Quake 3 132\quake3.exe" +set fs_game generations

If you're having trouble with a hunk_alloc failure, do the following:

1)  Open q3config.cfg for editing.
2)  Look for "com_hunkmegs".  Change it to a value no greater than 2/3 your system memory.  256 is a good working value.
3)  Load Generations.  Hit ` to bring down the console.  Type /com_hunkmegs and press ENTER.  It should report the value you changed it to in the q3config.cfg file.  If it does, try loading a map.  If it does not report the correct value or it continues to fail, get back with me and I'll try to help you out.

To run an all-slipgate game it's simple.  We've put together some custom rotations for use in single-class scenarios.  For Slipgate-style play on a local game, just bring down the console and type the following:

For FFA:  /exec rotations/slipgate_ffa.cfg
For CTF:  /exec rotations/slipgate_ctf.cfg
for TeamDM:  /exec rotations/slipgate_teamdm.cfg

If you want to set up a dedicated LAN server, here's an example for a FFA server:

"C:\Games\Quake 3 132\generations.exe" +set fs_game generations +set dedicated 1 +exec rotations/slipgate_ffa.cfg

For a dedicated server visible over the internet, change dedicated to 2 and you're all set.  If you need further assistance, let me know and I'll be glad to help!
  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2008-07-24, 22:39 »

Mac is based on Unix/BSD, so you should be able to create a shell script for launching it with the correct args.  You should create a script in your /q3 path/Quake3.app/Contents/MacOS and in it have something like:
./Quake3 +set fs_game generations +set com_hunkmegs 192

I've never used OSX, but it should be something similar.

As Phoenix said, you probably have your hunkmegs too low.  The error you are receiving just means q3 couldn't allocate enough memory to load a temporary file.

PrOxY

Dopefish

« Reply #3 on: 2008-07-25, 18:56 »

Hey thanks guys,

I'm going to give this a go today! Currently trying to figure out how to add additional slipgate maps (like map-gen-qe1m7.pk3, quake_dm5.pk3 and etc).

Just out of curiosity, I was also curious about the mod files in general. I'm assuming this is not a server side mod so if my intent is to only run it in slipgate, are there any files I can eliminate to shorten the DL times (for folks who will need to DL from the server)? Likely not, but it couldnt hurt to ask:)

Many thanks and Ill shoot a heads up when its running!
« Last Edit: 2008-07-25, 19:18 by PrOxY » Logged
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2008-07-25, 19:48 »

Ummm... No...
Generations is a big mod with huge changes to both client and server.  Downloading off of the server would probably take weeks (Quake 3 UDP transfer rates max out at around 14kbyte).  I don't have download enabled on my server.  People should come to the webside and download from one of the mirrors -- it's basically the only way until maybe a future exe using an http download system.

As for adding maps, you just plop them in either baseq3 or generations folder, but keep it consistent once you decide on one.
PrOxY

Dopefish

« Reply #5 on: 2008-07-25, 23:29 »

Cool, I sorta figured as much:)

I couldn't find it, but does the mod have a forced map cycle cvar (maps roll even if servers empty)? In any event we should be running by morning.
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2008-07-26, 16:36 »

I think that's how it works by default (I think Phoenix said he forced the map to change and not wait at scoreboard -- it does on mine and I don't remember having to set anything special), but you'd have to try it on your server and see.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2008-07-27, 18:40 »

Yes.  The maps cycle automatically if there's no clients connected, so long as a timelimit is set.  I also changed the way maps cycle.  If you have g_useMapLists set to "1" it will use map rotation files based on gametype.  There are four maplist cvars:

g_ffaMapList
g_tourneyMapList
g_teamdmMapList
g_ctfMapList

For example, if you look at rotations/slipgate_ffa.cfg, you'll see the following lines:

set g_ffaMapList "slipgate_ffa_maplist.cfg"
map gen-q1dm1

That sets the maplist and loads the first map.  If you look at the slipgate_ffa_maplist.cfg file you'll notice it's just a list of maps, as opposed to the old way of using vstr nextmap all the time.  You can create any kind of maplist you like and use these cvars.  If you change gametype, it will read the appropriate maplist for that gametype and load those maps.  It also recurses the rotations folder so you can keep your maplists in there.  I did that so the mod folder can be kept a bit cleaner.  You can also add custom arguments to the maplists such as timelimits, fraglimits, etc, on a per-map basis.  If you look at rotations/sample_scripted_maplist.cfg it will show you how that can work.

If you don't like the rotations or prefer to use the old method, you can disable the maplists by setting g_useMapLists to "0" and you can set up an old style Q3 map rotation using the vstr and nextmap commands.

PrOxY

Dopefish

« Reply #8 on: 2008-07-27, 23:56 »

Ok so I got it up on our test server (which is easy to find as its the only one in version 1.31 "Campers Quake One". It seems to be running well but I have a couple of questions.

First, how do I get the mapcycle to clear out the bots from the previous map, and allow me to assign new ones. Our Excessive servers do this.......

"set d3 "map q3tourney1 ; kick allbots ; set g_gravity 800 ; set timelimit 5 ; exec botset1.cfg ; set nextmap vstr d4"

Where "botset1.cfg" reads........

"bot_minplayers 4 ; addbot clobber 5 blue 1 "^2^2^3^3^2^3E^2^3^7" //NMS G2 v6.5 // NMS G2 v6.5 ; addbot orbb 5 blue 1 ^4Visine ; and etc.".

So would this look like......

gen-q1dm1
{
 timelimit 10
 fraglimit 25
 kick allbots
 bot_minplayers 3
 addbot keel 5 blue 1
 addbot skybot 5 red 1
 addbot home 5 blue 1
}

Also, I posted the server.cfg here ........   http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/proxy2/Servercfg.jpg
Are there any suggestions you might make to it? For instance, are there settings I left out that would help it to run smoother and etc.?

Many thanks! The mod is a blast:)

« Last Edit: 2008-07-27, 23:59 by PrOxY » Logged
PrOxY

Dopefish

« Reply #9 on: 2008-07-28, 04:57 »

Doh! Double posted

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2008-07-29, 00:40 »

Looks ok so far, except I don't think the g_allowquad, g_allowinvis, etc, cvars actually work in Gen.  There's a dmflag for no powerups.  set dmflags "2" will disable powerups.  Just be careful.  If a map has a teamchained item, like an armor that alternates with a powerup it may cause a crash.  It's a bug I need to track down still.  I don't think any of the Q1 maps have that problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: