2024-03-29, 09:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia Goes to War  (Read 4376 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2008-08-10, 16:14 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnew...War-Russian-bear-goes-Wests-jugular.html

This has been going on for a few days now.  This is a wakeup call to anyone who thought the old Soviet expansionist days were over for good.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-10, 20:05 »

Last I heard, it was in fact Georgia that instigated this outbreak. It does seem however that Russia is taking advantage of the situation in order to assault several disputed areas.

It could be argued that the "Soviet expansionist days" are no different than the United States' or any of the prime examples throughout European history. Many still cling onto unjustly taken land under the guise of patriotism. Georgia itself is heavily influences by the U.S. after all. That's not the point though, is it?

The life of an individual is never worth the wealth of a nation.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-11, 00:55 »

Georgia did not invade Russia though.  Russia is claiming that Georgia's crackdown on "separatists" sparked the Russian invasion, which has included not only attacking the disputed territory where the separatists are located, but bombing a very important port on the other side of the country which is not anywhere near the zone in question.  If anyone remembers, the old Soviet Union had satellite countries as a buffer zone against NATO.

Also in question is the oil pipeline in Georgia that supplies oil to Turkey, as mentioned in the article.  I remember all the cries of "No blood for oil" and "No war for oil" when the US went to war with Iraq.  I must wonder if the same standard will be applied to Russia.  My instincts say the majority of the world will turn a blind eye to this.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: