2024-04-16, 17:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's goin' on...  (Read 6671 times)
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« on: 2008-12-10, 00:57 »

Long time no post.

Listen, GenArena has major issues with the Steam version of Quake III. For instance the installer has a difficult time installing the correct game files in the correct places. I know for a fact that I did bring up GenArena for Steam, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the final verdict was for implementing/testing for the Steam platform was.

Point of interest: I could have sworn GenArena was mentioned in the Steam support forums at some point (fruitlessly, rest assured), but it was there.

If someone wants to PM me, I can lend my Steam account to one of the developers for testing purposes if they so wish as I am confident that they won't steal it or go off and sell it.

Anyway, if no one cares I guess I will just install the original retail version of the game. I do think that it will be marketed better if it works with Steam since gaming is going toward the direction of digital distribution.

Well, let me know how I can assist. I really want to see the final product of this game before Microsoft creates an OS that doesn't support QIII.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-10, 18:25 »

Hey, long time no squawk.  I'll not ask for your Steam account information, but I do want to PM you and get some more details about what exactly is happening.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dzjepp

Lost Soul

« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-13, 01:23 »

Hi, you could probably install the zip version(s) just fine, not a "perfect" workaround, but...
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-16, 04:21 »

I attempted to install it with the zip file only.

It was a graphical distortion problem, but it's a ID/Steam problem, not a Generation Arena problem.

I apologize for blaming the bug on GenArena, but after more debugging and research I discovered what the issue was. The problem is purely graphical and it appears ID has no intention of ever fixing it. It seems like it wouldn't be worth the energy to port GenArena over to Steam.

For more information, I linked the thread in Steam support here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723156.

I'll catch you fine folks later.

Beer? I'm down.
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-16, 14:55 »

I don't know much about steam, but are the pk3s not accessible?  If they are not, then doesn't it use something like gcf or ncf (something like that).  I'm fairly certain there are utilities that can extract the data files from the indexed steam files.  Once you have the pk3s extracted you can simply download the 1.32 patch which will install the binary.  CDKey on the other hand, I cannot help you with (other than not playing on PB).  You could (should be able to) play with ioquake3 as well.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-16, 21:52 »

McDeth:  If I'm reading this right it's a problem with the Quake 3 engine conflicting with the Steam Community overlay, not a Generations .pk3 problem?

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #6 on: 2008-12-19, 00:44 »

That's correct.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2008-12-19, 02:00 »

If that's the case, then I might be able to implement whatever fix ioquake3 used?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: