2024-04-19, 22:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Um... Look familiar?  (Read 5326 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« on: 2009-02-28, 08:22 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7laQ_9ai5k&feature=related

Do these guys have permission to rip and use stuff from the mod?

In other news, I'm finishing up a Doom single player map pack I started long ago. I'm going to try to make some custom weapons but am having a coronary trying to get them to work.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-28, 17:06 »

Only one thing looks like it is ours, and that is the tech-door texture. I've always said that my nostalgia textures are free for use, as long as they are not modified -- so unless I've missed something, it looks like there's no problem here whatsoever.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-28, 17:37 »

I looked at the E2M8 video as well.  I don't see anything that belongs to us there as far as models are concerned.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-01, 03:18 »

Well the video itself is rather blurry, but look at the vials and the armor bonuses. And the box of shells.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2009-03-01, 06:44 »

What you are seeing are the Jdoom Resource Pack models.  I've seen them before, and I have a copy of them.  They're for use with the Doomsday engine.  I went through and did a careful comparison of the models.  The helmets, potions, etc, are structurally very different from our models.  The box of shotgun shells looks very close to ours except for the texturing.  I've examined the .md2's and the meshes and texture maps are completely different from ours.  None of the models are ripped from us, nor are they tweaked versions of our models.  They're all completely original models.

There are a few models in the resource pack that are not original, and those are the item models used for the weapons - the guns you see laying around the levels, not the first-person view weapons.  The weapon item models are from the old Generations Quake 2 project that was shut down.  I used these models in a project I made a while back called Doom Unleashed that is a player model and weapon/sound pack for Quake 2.  Cricket and Kricket were the original authors of those models.  Attempts to contact them failed, and LeeMon directed me to contact Skid.  I received permission from Skid (original Gen Q2 project lead) to use the weapon models, and I obtained permission from Neurobasher to clean up the actual Doomguy player model's animations and make new skins for the model.  I have no idea as to whether the Jdoom Resource Pack author got any permissions for the weapon item models, but Gen Q2 is dead, and the original authors, since they are beyond contact and have not protested any use of the models since I can remember, have, by all legal standards I'm aware of, abandoned copyright to them, so that's not an issue there.  GenQ2 is technically abandonware as far as any non-Id content is concerned.

In short, nothing crooked is going on here in this vid.  It's just low-quality YouTube video making it hard to tell models apart that are designed to look pretty much the same from one game to another.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: