2024-04-20, 04:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My ZDoom WAD WIP shots.  (Read 6296 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« on: 2009-03-05, 00:21 »

First I'd like to explain the project:

I am creating a single player episode and I have a lot of plans in store for it.

There are a few things I want to implement.

There will be a couple of new weapons in the game. Balanced weapons of course. The first will be a hand held shotgun. It is rather primitive and will be found early. It will have a wide spread with a little more pellets than in the standard shotgun, but the pellet damage will be significantly lower. Also the reload time will be the same of that of the super shotgun.

The second new weapon will be a plasma pistol using cells. Damage will be lower by a couple points to the rifle as well as the firing rate will be that of the regular pistol.

There will be new powerups. A yellow armor that will give 50 armor, and a red armor that will give 300 armor. There will be others as well.

I will also be using monsters from the Beastiary monster assortment. I will modify some of these monsters slightly to balance them with my maps. I will also create some of my own. I will create "mini-bosses" which will be faster and stronger versions of other monsters. It will be necessary to kill them because they will drops keys, open doors to secret passages and so on.

The maps will give the player significant challenges. Such challenges are puzzle solving, ammo conservation and using the environment to their advantage. Instead of pitting the player against hundreds of enemies, instead the player will have to play smart against fewer enemies. Cannon fodding will only lead to failure. There will be points where ammo is scarce and will have to rely on ammo dropped secret passages with ammo caches, and using the environment to kill enemies.

I just fleshed this out in the past couple of days.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-05, 02:50 »

Looking forward to it!  Doom 2 was more a monster fest, and I always liked the atmosphere of Doom 1 a bit better - fewer baddies, more strategic encounters, and more of a "what's around that corner?" feel to it.  I love a challenge, and I'm very ammo-conserving when playing games.  I don't like leaving levels in Doom without 200/200 and as much ammo as I can stockpile.  I tend to rely on the berserker and lower-powered weapons a lot for dispatching weaker enemies, and save the heavy ordinance for the more powerful bosses.  I also like to instigate monster in-fighting a lot, and use strategy at times rather than just spraying bullets everywhere.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-05, 04:43 »

Right now I am trying to write a script to start out with just the fist and I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-20, 08:38 »

And now...
An update.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2009-03-20, 15:20 »

Oh noes!  Quakeguy at 11 o'clock high!!!

Seriously, looks pretty.  I didn't know you could do weather effects in Doom now.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2009-03-21, 06:53 »

Weather effects ain't exactly something that comes out of box. It took a good 10 pages of code to implement that I wrote myself.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-21, 06:56 by Moshman » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2009-03-21, 18:33 »

Looks cool, not often i see someone make doom maps nowdays Slipgate - Smile

anyways maybe not the correct post to ask this but Zdoom doesnt have support for high res textures and, uh a "non pixlated" version? maybe im getting to used to play doomsday these days Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2009-03-21, 19:14 »

There's GZdoom, which is a GL version of Zdoom.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: