2024-04-19, 05:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Live Beta  (Read 17531 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2009-04-28, 01:13 »

Actually we are planning on adding new maps, and possibly re-adding some old favorites that got cut in the .99e mappack.  Tabun, myself, ReBoOt, and other team members have been reviewing maps systematically behind the scenes.  Odds are, if it's on LvL, we've looked at it and/or have plans to look at it.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #21 on: 2010-07-17, 18:30 »

I'm interested in all of your opinions on this game nowadays. Rumors are going around that it's coming out of beta relatively soon, and a whole ton of new content is going to be released just before QuakeCon. The rumors include having a monthly subscription service, which I'm not so big on, but whatever.

Also, I love CPMA, a lot. Haha
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #22 on: 2010-07-18, 01:24 »

A monthly subscription? Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2010-07-18, 18:17 »

Honestly I haven't played Quake Live in about a year.  I'm not sure what changes have been implemented since then.

Subscription?  I don't like the sound of that.  Subscription-based gaming is what killed online FPS gaming in the first place when everyone got hooked on WoW.

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #24 on: 2010-07-19, 08:24 »

Honestly I haven't played Quake Live in about a year.  I'm not sure what changes have been implemented since then.

Subscription?  I don't like the sound of that.  Subscription-based gaming is what killed online FPS gaming in the first place when everyone got hooked on WoW.

I got hooked on it =/ Thats why I haven't been the best tester =P
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2010-07-21, 12:54 »

ahh WoW..farm gear, farm moneys, farm exp..with abit of lore, and social screaming on ventrilo, who could ask for more? Slipgate - Tongue.. Thoguth i have to agree wow was abit fun pre-tbc expeansion but nowdays i just feel sick when i see WoW.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2010-07-21, 16:21 »

WoW and Farmville always looked to be much the same to me. And I consider neither worth a second of my time.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2010-07-22, 00:07 »

To quote the TF2 Soldier: "... UNLESS IT'S A FARM!!"

Which is ironic, because in Valve games people "farm" achievements.

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #28 on: 2010-07-22, 02:26 »

I never can get into doing the whole achievement/trophies/othercrap. I'm not that anal about games..
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #29 on: 2010-07-22, 16:43 »

I think that achievements could be fun if they were for obscure, rarely presented moments. Having an achievement for just doing what you should already be doing in a game (Completed Level One!!!) is pretty bland however. To me, it should be one of those challenges that you go back for after completing the game... like high scores and speed runs are.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-22, 23:54 »

To me this is the new "kills/items/secrets" challenge.  Playing games like the original Doom, I was not happy unless I found everything.  It never felt like I really "beat" the game unless I had 100% of everything on the highest difficulty short of "Nightmare".  I kind of miss that in newer games, so it's nice to have extra challenges.  For single player games I'll try to get everything I can.  So far I have all of the HL2:  Ep 2 achievements, and all of the Portal achievements.  They added achievements into HL2 and HL2:  Ep 1, so I'll have to go back and get those.  Some of the Portal achievements were ridiculously hard, the footstep ones in particular.

The only achievements I really dislike are ones that require you to play with X number of people online.  It's extremely hard to organize a 7+ player game of TF2.  A lot of multiplayer achievements are a result of dumb luck.  I don't worry as much about multiplayer achievements for this reason.  It's more fun to just blow stuff up.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-23, 00:25 »

I take note of achievements in games like TF2, but I don't obsess over getting them.. like the one Engineer I was playing on a server with last night who was begging for a Heavy to stand next to his dispenser and get 5 kills. That said, I doubt I will ever get some of them.. like Photostroika for the Heavy (and also the ones Pho refers to in his post). I spend 95% of my time playing as Heavy, and I know this one is most likely easy to get.. but it just seems like a complete waste of an ubercharge to provide someone you killed with a screencap of you taunting while invulnerable.

I kinda treat single player achievements the same way, really. I might try a bit harder to get them at times, but I have more fun playing the game how I want to play the game.. not how an achievement tells me to.

I'm not against achievements by any means. I mean, they're better than hats at least..

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2010-07-23, 07:48 »

The TF2 hats don't bother me too much, but I'm not obsessed with getting any.  I'm just taking duplicate weapons and crafting them when they show up to save up metal.  Then I might see about crafting something, but I'm not in a huge hurry.  I'm actually hoping to get some specific item drops so I can craft the Homewrecker, Southern Hospitality, etc.  The Homewrecker looks especially appealing.  I'm not really looking to destroy enemy structures with it so much, but I do play Spycheck Pyro often, and being able to remove sappers if the Engy dies or is going for health or metal and has to leave his stuff would be a nice way to help the team, and making Spies bleed by wrench whacking them as en Engineer sounds just too appealing to pass up.  I hate Spies!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: