2024-03-29, 12:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar is offensive to butt pirates  (Read 18427 times)
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2010-01-07, 03:35 »

http://stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com/2009...cember-18-2009-international-day-of.html

let the laughing begin.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-07, 12:01 »

Aren't they being speciecist by making assumptions about the sexual nature of blue non-humans? Tisk tisk. We have a long way to go before we even get to the Blue Rosa Parks stage, it seems...

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-07, 19:05 »

Be aware that while the link is safe, the main page contains artwork (if you can call it that) that may be "not safe for work".

So... is this serious, or one of these "I created a hoax website to study..." for some college student's thesis?  Perhaps a "troll" website, or some other hard satire?  If it is serious, then methinks someone protests too much.  It's a movie, a piece of fiction.  You don't like it, or don't want to watch it?  Don't pay for a ticket, and quit your whining.
  Slipgate - Exhausted

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2010-01-08, 01:05 »

To be fair i did use the term butt pirate in the topic name, it was not a subtle point i was making.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2010-01-08, 02:54 »

Don't all pirates try to plunder your booty?  Slipgate - Smirk

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2010-01-08, 05:06 »

yes booty but not necessarily boo-tay.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #6 on: 2010-01-09, 00:25 »

Yeah... that's pretty goddamned retarded and I hope it's a hoax...

I mean I support homosexual rights, but the thing is that there has to be acceptance of others on both sides, otherwise you're gonna look like a bunch of hooting dickholes and hurt your cause.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2010-01-09, 02:31 »

Indeed.  I'll cite two extremes.  One is the "God Hates Fags!" minister of that Westboro Baptist Church.  That's a real good job of spreading the Gospel of Love and Forgiveness he's doing.  Saying God hates everyone kind of runs contrary to the bible, but also tends to make people think you're a nut, and rightly so.  Unfortunately it has the effect of making other, non-nutty Christians look bad.

Then consider some people in the Gay Rights movement.  So you want the predominantly heterosexual majority of society to look upon you as normal.  Males running around in pink bikinis and dressing in full drag and performing explicit public stunts in these marches is not going to help your cause.  If you want to be seen as otherwise normal, shock tactics are not a good idea.  The majority of homosexuals who do not act like this are then stereotyped because all the people get to see are the crazy ones that end up on the news.

Personally I've never cared about anyone's sexual orientation.  It's how people behave towards others that is always the issue.  When you get someone protesting a movie because simply because it lacks a homosexual relationship, that tells me you're intolerant of the fact that the majority of the population is heterosexual and that there's nothing wrong with heterosexual relationships.  Being intolerant toward heterosexuality is not a fix for intolerance of homosexuality.

What I find rather interesting in all of this is how anthropocentric all of this protesting on this movie is.  Does this individual not notice that this is actually an interspecies relationship?  Despite the avatar body, the protagonist is human.  I look at other cases in classic science fiction.  Mr Spock from Star Trek is well known for being half human and half vulcan.  The pairing of his parents, a vulcan male and human female, does not seem to bother too many people.  I've noticed that in human acceptence of unusual matings it's never a problem if a being of another species looks and acts human, even though they are not.  However, if this other species is not very anthropomorphic, then it's considered revolting or bestial.  In a strict scientific sense there's no real biological difference between falling in love with a 10' tall blue alien that happens to be built like a human, or falling in love with a dog.  Yet, this does not seem to extend to non-humans engaging in similar pairings.  For instance, in the Shrek movies, Donkey falls in love with a dragon, and they even produce offspring.  In children's television and stories, animal characters often are married to animals of another species, or have relatives that are.  These kinds of situations are somehow deemed acceptable to the human mind.

Acceptance and tolerance is certainly not a simple matter where humans are involved.  I think there may be some deep rooted biological and/or cultural programming involved as to why some things invoke a "yuck" factor.  I would expect more cultural for the most part.  If this site is real, then if anything it simply demonstrates that outrage and "yuck" is consistent regardless of sexual orientation.  Actually I'd be a bit surprised if there were no homosexuals who see heterosexual behavior as repellent, especially if these individuals associate almost exclusively with other homosexuals.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2010-01-09, 03:20 »

I'll just keeping thinking it's a site that's trying to funny.. but I wouldn't be surprised if it is being serious either.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2010-01-11, 02:01 »

"Homophobic? Nah, you just heterophobic."

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2010-01-11, 06:35 »

Dude.. that's so straight. Quit actin' like a buncha breeders.
(sadly, the intent is lost without the heavy sarcastic tone)

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-16, 04:38 »

More free entertainment from the Avatar quack.

" ideally, there would not be films with divisive or narrow-minded perspectives such as Avatar.  One idea that has been floated about and one that I support is the Diversity and Fairness Act (DAFA).   DAFA would be a series of laws and guidelines to make sure that a book, a film, a radio program, a web site or any form of mass media or communication does not offend or promote messages of exclusion of hate.

If DAFA was enacted already there would be no Rush Limbaugh spewing messages of hate and war-mongering.  There would be no Sarah Palin promoting her anti-Evolution and theme of Americanism.  I strongly believe DAFA would have forced James Cameron to make films that respect diversity and are socially and scientifically inclusive.

DAFA would be run by free-thinkers and society's most intelligent and progressive.  Such people could have advised and guided Cameron into making a more thoughtful and inclusive film.  We are fortunate that we have such a person in President Obama who is currently transitioning America to progression.  If there was ever a time to make DAFA a reality, it is now. "
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2010-01-16, 05:21 »

Either this person is a flat out, hard-Left progressive, or this is definitely someone running a hoax site.  I'm really starting to think the latter since most hard-Left progressives won't ever come out and admit to their agenda.  Either way, for a bit of fun, I'll translate this into "normal" speak.

" ideally, there would not be films... *snip*
Translation:  Because I hate those evil Christians, Right-Wingers, Tea-baggers, and everyone who does not espouse my views, I want to see legislation to muzzle them so they all just STFU so that I can say whatever I want and cram my views down their throats without any possibility of dissent.  It's only hate if we're not the ones doing it, after all.

If DAFA was enacted already there would be no Rush Limbaugh... *snip*
Translation:  Since Rush Limbaugh is so popular and is making loads of money doing what he's doing, and no Left-wing pundit can ever be this successful, and because we can't win against them in a fair fight, we need to cheat and change the rules by passing laws that destroy free speech.  We really don't want anyone having freedom of speech except for ourselves.  Oh yeah, and we only want films that are Left-wing propaganda pieces instead of works of creative and artistic freedom.

DAFA would be run by free-thinkers and society's most intelligent and progressive. *snip*

Translation:  People are stupid and need elitist aristocracies to tell them what to do and think.  Such people would have told Cameron what to do to further promote our agenda.  We're so fortunate to have a fascist Marxist in the White House who is currently destroying liberty and freedom in America.  The time is right for revolution, so let's legislate people we don't like into submission while we have the chance!

A fun read indeed.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2010-01-16, 14:18 »

Woah, did you just translate left-wing nutjob text into right-wing nutjob jargon? Weird.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2010-01-17, 03:49 »

Pretty much.  Slipgate - Grin

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #15 on: 2010-01-18, 02:37 »

regardless of what anyone tells you they both speak the same tongue.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #16 on: 2010-01-18, 17:51 »

Why not just go the whole hog and initiate the worldwide extermination of all white heterosexual men? If this is the only way to ensure a world that is peaceful and free from intolerance, I'd be happy to make that sacrifice.

Besides, everyone needs to STFU and watch District 9. Slipgate - Ninja

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2010-01-18, 20:13 »

Ehr. But there are no homosexuals in D9, Scalli. ;]

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #18 on: 2010-01-18, 20:58 »

There isn't? How offensive! I vote we all protest.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2010-01-19, 01:05 »

There's no hot bird-on-bird action either.  I claim specism!  I'll protest your protest and then some!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: