2024-04-23, 08:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: One decade of GenArena  (Read 12403 times)
Arno

Cacodemon

« on: 2010-05-14, 10:49 »

I'm a bit late with this post, but nevertheless, many congratulations to the development team for 10 years of Generations Arena!  HeadBanging

Check out the official anouncement from April 10, 2000 at http://planetquake.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=67165.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-14, 12:22 »

Wow. I didn't know.. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-14, 16:05 »

It's really been a decade?  I think time is flying a lot faster than I am at present.  Well, we're still in development, Doom 3 has come and gone, but somehow we managed to outlast Duke Nukem Forever - and we at least have a working public beta.  As for what's not released yet, all I can say is it will have "wonderful things".  I know 1.0 has been a long haul, but I can honestly say it will kick .99f's ass.  So, to those who have stuck with us, or who are lurking and wondering "Is Gen dead yet or what?" we're still going at it.  Milestones in the code are being reached, effects are being tweaked, and progress is definitely being made.  If we're quiet, it just means we're hard at work.  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-15, 11:33 »

Yes, time does fly. That's why it's sometimes nice to look and back and reflect on where it all started. In a sense that's also what Generations Arena does, it's a living museum of first person shooters from the past.

At the time Generations Arena was anounced I was a 20-year old student who spent a lot of free time on playing games and modding them. I remember the excitement every time screenshots or a new version appeared of GenArena. I loved to chat about it or to play a few rounds.
Now, ten years later, my life is so different. I absolutely love my job: I develop 3D clinical visualisation software for hospital X-ray equipment. But it does require me to spent 8 hours a day in front of a computer screen, which is why I don't feel like it anymore to play games or do modding in the evening. I know I miss it, especially when reading a forum such as this, but that's life.

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for the dev team (Phoenix and Tabun), for the commitment they show to get the job done. And of course also for the other people that spent so much time on this project, and who are probably still lurking here now and then. I know 1.0 will kick ass and I will definitly check it alll out when it's done.  Doom - Thumbs Up!
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-15, 14:34 »

It's definitely nice to see the project continue to roll on. Though I have not done anything to help with testing in the last severals years, with life in general getting in the way, I am definitely one of those lurkers who continues to check in and see what is going on. From what I have spied on, Phoenix is not exaggerating. The plan after .99f was more or less to make sure 1.0 curbstomps the previous versions, and you can trust me when I say it absolutely will.

Pho and Tab are two of the most dedicated people I've had the pleasure of knowing in my almost 27 years on this rock. Where other mods would have failed after this much development time, Generations has and will not. And the game will be that much better because of it.

Here's to ten more, and many beyond that.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-15, 23:08 »

Congrats on the 10 years.  I'm not dead, but my desire for quake just about is.  No time to play anymore.
BlueJayofEvil

Unnamed Player

« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-15, 23:12 »

Just popping in to say it's good to hear work is still being done. I have full confidence in this project and wish the devs the best of luck with their work. Slipgate - Smile
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-17, 02:06 »

So no extra special release to celebrate the anniversary? Slipgate - Tongue

Seriously, keep up the good work! Even though we can't always prominently see progress being made, the trailers and developer blogs have indicated otherwise. I can't wait for the next big release, animations and all. Of course, with Resurgence far off on the horizon, I think we still have a while to wait until Generations is 110% complete. Hehe.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-17, 05:34 »

Geez, 10 years? I was only 14 when I came across this...(23 now) Man..

Been a long time, and I'm glad things are still going forward, regardless of the pace.
Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-18, 02:48 »

Wow, that long, and look at my meager post count! lol

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-18, 13:33 »

I remember meeting kenny in 2001 at the gas station where i worked and seeing him and Leemon at a lan party a short time later. There i saw gen for the first time.  The first slip gate rocket complaints swiftly followed. good times.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-19, 02:42 »

Hard to believe it was that long ago. Railgun rockets, super-insane combat shotgun knockback.. and probably a bunch of other stuff that I'm missing. Ahhh, good times.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-19, 02:56 »

I remember the .99a flamethrower the most... aka the "anti-HPB" weapon.  Fire it and any of us (then) modem-users were completely immobile.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-19, 11:58 »

It's been a strange six or so years since I joined up around here...

But there were countless frags so whatever.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-19, 23:08 »

Geez 10 years already? ah yes i rember the lagthrower quite good since i was on 56k aswell Slipgate - Tongue and i also rember sitting up around 3 AM to join the US gen forum games, the lag cross the pound was terrible but still it was all worth it! Slipgate - Smile

And for those that have waited over 10 years for gen v 1.0 i can only say..it's all worth it!
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-27, 21:07 »

Damn, and I remember downloading first ever 0,99a whole night on modem, just to barely playing as I had not enough ram.
Good and not so good days have been since that time, good luck to all involved. Slipgate - Love
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-30, 22:25 »

Having only been arounf here since 2003, I had no idea the mod already had 4 years of work done on it by the time I joined. Happy anniversary, and keep up the good work! Doom - Thumbs Up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #17 on: 2010-06-03, 06:03 »

I was 12 years old when I joined the good old WHS fourm years before 0.99a was released. There was much anticipation and oohhs and ahhs. I was just a kid who thought he knew everything. So much has changed indeed.

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2010-06-06, 08:13 »

Gen's ten years old, Quake's four years older than that, and DOOM and Wolfenstein go back to the early nineties!  It's weird to think that these games have been a part of my life for so long, but I take comfort in knowing that I can fire one of them up and have just as much fun now as I used to back when I was a kid.

Here's to another ten years of Generations Arena and to all of the people at Wirehead Studios and id Software! Cheers!

PS: I am sorry that I haven't kept in touch much, life has caught up with me, but I assure you that I will be there to celebrate v1.0. Slipgate - Thumbs up!

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2010-06-15, 23:03 »

Oh yes, the old forum  Doom - Love ahh the memories. Gratz on 10 years guys. Most of the mods I discovered during that time are long gone. But this one is still moving along. I'll have to keep a closer eye on these forums for 1.0  Doom - Thumbs Up! I can't wait to dust off q3 again. Hope to see it soon  Doom - Love

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: