2024-04-25, 22:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering the 'End of Man'  (Read 5282 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2010-06-14, 17:40 »

Trollish as this article was, it's an interesting read:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/2/

A number of points aren't touched on as well as I'd have liked, but this has been a long time coming.

I've always been intrigued by the hypocrisy dripping from a lot of feminist rhetoric. Especially the insistence that men simply "man up and get over themselves" when they remark that manual labor no longer equates to any form of success or respect--as Uncle Sam pays better than most jobs an uneducated male can get in this economy. Then throwing back the idea that this generation's women should be increasingly empowered due to the supposed suffering of their mothers and grandmothers. You simply can't expect privilege without some form of sacrifice.

I was amused to find the comment "you'll never get what you don't ask for" following the article, as "you'll never get what you don't work for" is one of my mother's favorite remarks regarding feminists with entitlement issues.

The rise of the omega male is nothing new, they've been medicating and punishing testosterone for decades now.

Thoughts?

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-14, 21:11 »

The problem I see is political correctness and it's denial of reality.  Claiming that males and females are equal is inherently absurd.  Males and females are not equally capable of doing all the same things.  It's biological fact.  From a biological standpoint, males are geared to be better at some tasks, females are better at others.  This does not mean one is necessarily superior to the other.  Quite the contrary.  A male/female pair that is cooperative and knows to use the strengths of each in concert is far more effective than a single gender pairing would be.  This is because the skill sets compliment each other.  This is a large reason why in more primitive cultures you have what's considered "men's work" and "women's work".  This is true of matriarchal societies as well as patriarchal.  You just don't hear much about the former.  It's not considered appropriate in today's "enlightened" society to notice the differences in gender and that some roles are better filled by males or by females.

The education system, political correctness, and the "loser" culture mentality is pretty much emasculating males.  I think also that there may be some chemical problems, and I do not mean drugs.  I'm speaking of plastics that they have found cause developmental problems in hormone balance among children because of so-called "gender-bending" chemicals, combined with all the artificial garbage thrown into processed foods.  Everyone today has ADD or ADHD.  30 years ago these words did not exist.  Now everyone is medicated.  30 years ago children did not go on shooting sprees and kill all their classmates.  They got into fist-fights, made up, and went on with life.  Something within that time frame has definitely changed.  I think there are social and biochemical reasons for certain.

I think males have no guidance today as well.  Everyone is educating them that there's no right or wrong, no good or bad, do whatever you want and if it "feels right it's ok".  A ship doesn't do too well at steering itself without knowing where it's going.  Where are the father figures in today's society?  Biological fathers are in jail, not paying child support, sleeping around, jobless and drunk... Priests are abusing small children, movie actors are in constant financial and marital distress, music - especially rap - teaches males to be abusive toward women, disrespectful of any authority, getting drunk and stoned and doing nothing useful or good, sports figures are dishonest, cheaters, and behave dishonorably off the field... Then throw in the constant stream of bad news 24/7, wars that are never won even though they could have been won decisively, and schools that fill their heads full of meaningless political nonsense instead of teaching them how to read and write, do math, and survive on their own.  Parents, teachers, clergy, politicians - every kind of person a young man would need to look up to... what are they now?  People learn by example.  Where are the good examples today?  Some are still out there, but how many?  It's very hard to have hope for the future when you see everyone around you is a failure or hypocrite, and people keep teaching you that you're essentially worthless.

I consider the Christian nuclear family in the United States as it was before all this started.  You had strong fathers, caring mothers, children that were taught obedience to authority, consequence of action, and that some things should not be done not just because they are against the law, but because they were morally wrong as well.  Families went to churches together, neighbors knew each other and watched out for each other and each others' children.  It was not perfect, nothing ever is, but the America of yesteryear fought and won WWII in FIVE YEARS!  Fast forward to today.  Is there any end in sight to Iraq or Afghanistan?  The family is in shambles.  Divorce is commonplace, whereas 50 years ago it was scandalous.  Commitment to anything is lacking.  Huge companies are folding like wet paper in a storm.  The "American Dream" is in the ICU, and they won't even let a priest in to give it last rights before they pull the plug for good.  It might "offend" someone.

Consider this, in regards to government and aristocracy.  If a family is strong, and its loyalties are to a god and to itself above that of the state, the state cannot control it very easily.  If that family unity, and thereafter community unity is broken, then individuals without direction can be controlled.  Divide, scatter, and conquer.  How easily are people led by propaganda and rhetoric today, without questioning the source?  I've seen it on the right and the left, by TV-addicted dolts, paranoid conspiracy theorists - you name it.  I've heard people demonize religion saying it controls people and brainwashes them.  Well, they learned that from somewhere, in a book perhaps?  They'll believe that without question, so you trade brainwashing you don't like for brainwashing you do like... how is that thinking?  Are you not just trading one master for another?  Yet try to tell them that and they'll never, ever listen.  They're as blind as the people they criticize, and are yet blind to that fact as well, and they call that being enlightened and "free" from control.  I call it madness to reject one thing in favor of another without questioning both, and this new breed of angry idiot... they don't bother to question either.

I can't say if there's some kind of master scheme behind all of this, or if it's just a general trend in social developments over the past few decades, but I can say with certainty that, socially, things are falling apart.  Without strong traditional families, who decides what the next generation is going to be like?  The further that deterioration progresses, the worse each succeeding generation is off.  Consider the level of PC thought control in the world today.  My even mentioning the words "traditional family" would easily be misconstrued by people reading this forum as an attack on gay rights, as Republican Party "talking points", or some other rubbish when I simply mean a family with a father and mother as a married pair, with children that are biological offspring of both and (typically) not from previous marriages, as opposed to a single-parent family or other, more complex arrangements of children and guardians.  The fact that many people can be so quick to misconstrue what someone says is, by my observation, yet another sign of the larger problem.  It's very difficult in this time to say things and have people take it at face value.  I always say exactly what I mean unless I have difficulty expressing my thoughts on a subject, yet in other places - not on this forum much since many of the people who used to argue with me no longer frequent here - people read into what is said much that is not there, and completely miss the point of what is plainly spoken.  Nothing means anything anymore, so why care?  I hear that complaint frequently.  I wish it were only true of grammar. Slipgate - Sad

Well that's my two shekels anyway.  I could rant all day but it would be impolite to not let someone else have a go.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-26, 03:42 »

This articulates my take on the matter better than I can.

(bit of light relief, really Slipgate - Wink)

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: