2024-03-28, 17:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legend of the Guardians  (Read 3800 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2010-09-30, 12:53 »

Phoenix doesn't sneak out to see a movie very often, but he did see this one.  It's a must-see.  I've not read the books it's based on, but it was very well done.  The owls are obviously CGI, but I was impressed with the fact that the movie takes itself seriously.  It's not a "kiddie" movie.  It's more along the lines of The Secret of NIMH (the first one, not the Disney-esque sequel) or Watership Down, but without the bloody slobber.  It was directed by Zach Snyder, same director that did 300 and Watchmen.  That have your attention?  He's never done a PG film until this one.  Vocal talent includes Sam Neill, Hugo Weaving, Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbosa from Pirates of the Caribbean), and David Wenham (Faramir from LOTR).  The battle scenes are terrifically choreographed, and the environments are fantastic.  The musical score is absolutely stunning.  I have the soundtrack, and it's become a favorite for me.

Everyone knows I'm biased when it comes to birds, but I like this movie not just because it's about owls.  It's a good fantasy film, and I like it.  Slipgate - Love

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-17, 22:19 »

Thanks for the heads up!

I just wish the trailer did a better job of explaining what the movie was about.  I largely ignored it for that reason.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-18, 06:30 »

The trailer was a bit sketchy.  The movie is based around the first three of a series of books called The Owls of Ga'Hoole.  The story, without spoiliers, focuses around Soren, a young barn owl, his brother Kludd, and their younger sister, Eglantine, along with some owls that Soren encounters along the way.  Soren and Kludd are kidnapped and taken to St. Aggeles orphanage, where they encounter the Pure Ones, led by an owl called Metalbeak.  Metalbeak was horribly injured in a battle with one of the Guardians, and wears a metal mask as he lost his beak during the fight, hence the name.  The Guardians are warriors that live in a place called the Ga'Hoole tree.  Soren learns of what is happening at St. Aggeles and needs to find the Guardians in order to stop what's going on there, but he's only a brancher and cannot fully fly yet.  More I can't say about the plot without spoiling.

As for the setting, it's somewhere around Austrailia, though the owls are from various parts of the world.  Time-wise it's set after the fall of the human race, and the world has largely returned to nature, though the owls and other animals are generally anthropomorphized in the fact that they talk and have facial expressions that nature does not allow owls to have.  This is primarily for the audience's benefit.  Beyond that, the animation is superb.  You're seeing what looks like real birds in a realistic environment.

The movie itself is not a typical children's movie.  Some people have complained that they took their "7 year old kid" to see the movie and the kid was upset.  The fight scenes are pretty intense without actually showing blood, and there's a dark tone to a lot of what goes on.  It's a lot more serious of a movie than you'd expect from the trailer.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: