2024-04-16, 09:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Arena Arcade  (Read 9605 times)
Arnie

Shambler

« on: 2010-12-20, 17:58 »

Just played the demo on the X-box 360, not bad. Don't know whether I'd buy it though. Now if you could get Gen on the X-box 360 that would be another story......

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-20, 18:57 »

I always feel sorry for people that play first-person-shooters with a gamepad. Slipgate - Sad
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-20, 19:37 »

I have no idea how someone can even operate one of those.  Farthest I got with consoles was the Sega Genesis.  After that... well, Wolf3d, Wing Commander, and Doom made consoles rather irrelevant to me.  Doom - Love

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-21, 01:39 »

I played Doom on the SNES once back in the day out of curiosity.. and it was pretty bad in comparison to the PC version which I owned. Likewise, trying to play Quake on the N64 was an awful experience.. due to the controller usage instead of a mouse and keyboard. Was kind of embarrassing at the time as well, because I was 'the Quake guy' to a few of my friends. Haven't touched a FPS on a console system since then.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
LunaG

Beta Tester
Baron of Hell

« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-21, 04:53 »

Doesn't XBOX got keyboards/mouse specially for FPS games? I don't know

if XBOX is only the controller, then gotta respect this guy (and those who plays FPS using controller only):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1hTYuJhjo

Be a Headshot's weblog follower today~!

http://www.headshotsdnbhd.blogspot.com
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-21, 11:03 »

WTF has the controller got to do with the game? Everyone that plays on the Xbox will have the same controller.

I thought someone might be interested in how the game looks and plays but no, you're all obsessed with controllers.... Banging Head against Wall

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-21, 12:41 »

I'm simply pointing out that I don't own an Xbox 360 or any other modern gaming console because I pretty much stick to the PC for gaming now.  I cannot play the game, therefore I really cannot offer any kind of feedback for Quake Arena Arcade for that reason.  Slipgate - Sad

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-22, 07:36 »

WTF has the controller got to do with the game?

I would say that controls have a lot to do with how a game plays. For example... I can't stand to play platformers with a keyboard. Slipgate - Wink
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-22, 23:12 »

No Gen? No thanks. Slipgate - Shifty
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-04, 06:21 »

Quake Arena Arcade is a pretty solid port.  It comes with all of the Quake III Arena content plus Team Arena's.  There are also original maps that use both the Q3A and TA content.

Other changes include a new single player campaign, although nothing too different from the original, and the Tournament game type being dropped in favor of a new Duel mode, think turn-based, 1-vs-1.  There are also bright skins for each character ala the Challenge Pro Mode Arena mod.

Also, regarding playing first-person shooters on consoles, I will have to disagree with the notion of dismissing it entirely.  I find the Xbox 360 Controller does more than an adequate job at playing those type of games.  Going back to Quake Arena Arcade for a moment, you can remap each controller button to your heart's content.  More importantly though, ports often add new content or try something new.

Quake III Arena for the Dreamcast had a unique (and far more awesome) soundtrack, additional levels that were never released on PC (some were but not all,) 4 player split-screen, and you could play online cross-platform with PC players.

Quake III Revolution for the Playstation 2 featured a level up system, the Team Arena weapons, a unique final boss, two Dungeon Keeper characters, and some really kick ass game types including a Rocket-Arena-like single player mode.

And I will stop there.  I could go on and on about why the various, official ports of id games are awesome because I'm something of a collector of them but I think I've deviated from the topic enough.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-05, 00:10 »

I've been chipping away at QAA's SP campaign over Christmas and it's a really good version. It even throws in the training level from Quake Live at the start. Along with QL, it has helped rekindle my interest in all things Quake (been Dooming a hell of a lot recently). Don't knock it until you've tried it Slipgate - Wink I'll always take mouse/keys over a joypad for shooters, but I'll take whatever control method on offer. Ironically, a joypad works better with Q3 than it does with modern shooters (which are mostly crap anyway).

Kain: All of the DC maps except the training level and the split-screen maps were "officially" released, but if you know where to look ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-05, 00:37 »

Got a list of those map names?  I'd like to get a look at them.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-05, 16:34 »

Main levels including CTF levels are DC_MAP01 through DC_MAP24. A good portion of these are completely new, and there's some TA stuff in there too.

Two player split screen maps (DC_SS201 through DC_SS205) are just reduced detail versions of some of the main maps, but the 4 player maps (DC_SS401 through DC_SS409) are all unique. One thing to note, though, due to the limitations of the DC and differences in rendering, the split-screen maps have no background. Shows up fine on the DC (completely black), but on the PC if you look straight up at the sky or straight down into a pit you'll get a HOM. Doesn't affect the game though and they are pretty decent little maps.

Incidentally, the EA map pack features one of the PS2 levels - EADM6.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-05, 16:38 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-05, 20:41 »

Good deal.  I located an official and unofficial version of the Dreamcast map pack.  According to a thread I looked through, some of the official maps cause crashes with bots enabled.  I'll investigate that and get a look at these maps.  End of off-topicness.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2011-10-06, 07:46 »

Don't mean to resurrect an old topic, but I should also add that the Dreamcast version of Q3DM17 featured a rotating skybox and teleported you back into the action whenever you fell off of a ledge.

Also, to be more on-topic, both DOOM II XBLA and Quake Arena Arcade have been reduced in price for the week to celebrate Rage's release: http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/10/04/sale-on-xbox-live-content/
« Last Edit: 2011-10-06, 07:50 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #15 on: 2011-10-07, 03:49 »

*Fixes Posture*
Ahh yes.
*Twitches Fingers*
I tried this game out last year, since I had good money and no longer had a copy q3. Loved the new maps, especially hazmat- chaotic. Sipgate - Evil

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: