2024-03-29, 11:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Like a Certain Computer, We're Still Alive.  (Read 21864 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2011-08-13, 11:39 »

I thought of writing this in a clever song form, but I'm not verbally inspired right now so let me just say that to those who have been wondering, and I've seen some of the comments on Youtube, we're still very much alive.  Generations Arena is NOT dead, we're just in a phase of development where there's not much visually we can show off.  It's grunt work and it's time consuming.  So please, forgive the lack of news updates, but don't lose heart.  Just have a slice of delicious cake and we'll keep making neat guns.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-14, 23:21 »

Gen Arena can never die, only the actors who play it!
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-15, 22:46 »

generations has been taking forever and it seems to me it shouldnt real long to complete.anyways the forums arent that dead so long live generations Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-16, 16:42 »

That's because you're not involved in the development process.  We don't have 40+ hours a week paid to do nothing but program, model, animate, map, and make sounds.  We have to do this in the little spare time we have, and the amount of detail involved is staggering.  We're a very small team with a few core members doing most of the work, and bringing on new members to work on the project wouldn't be feasible at this point.  There's just too much already established - Tabun's art style, for example, and the code I've had to implement to get things to work correctly could easily be undone by a new programmer that doesn't understand why certain things are done certain way.  Maps we can always use, but they have to be up to our standards - which are pretty darned high - and we already have a prospective list of maps put together for our next release.

I understand everyone wants this done, believe me we do to, but we have to work in the time available to us.  That's just the reality of modding something this complex.
   Slipgate - Sad

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-16, 18:33 »

Well yeah most ppls dont understand that this is done on our freetime which is abit limited due to most of us have a job to do aswell!I wish my job was to do mapping work for gen but oh well *grumbles and go do some more it-tech jobs*
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-16, 20:45 »

sorry i didnt want the team to take it the wrong way. im not saying that it takes less then 1 year to make a mod that you guys can only spend barely anytime on; im saying that all your hard work will pay off soon  Doom - Thumbs Up!

(think about establishing a studio that makes video games?)

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-16, 20:59 »

generations has been taking forever and it seems to me it shouldnt real long to complete.anyways the forums arent that dead so long live generations Slipgate - Thumbs up!

just read it again heres what i meant:

generations has been taking a while and it seems to me it shouldn't be real long for it to finish.anyways the forums arent that dead so long live generations arena!  Doom - Thumbs Up!

better?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-16, 21:08 by J3E125 » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-17, 09:27 »

Ahh, that makes better sense now.  I think we misunderstood what you meant.  Yes, we're getting closer.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-17, 19:09 »

if the project was dead (which is not),it wouldnt be as dead as blackmesa source,fact. Doomed

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-18, 20:50 »

The code I've had to implement to get things to work correctly could easily be undone by a new programmer that doesn't understand why certain things are done certain way.

Shouldn't you then be commenting better within your code? Slipgate - Tongue
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-19, 01:52 »

I comment as well as John Carmack does.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

LunaG

Beta Tester
Baron of Hell

« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-19, 04:30 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgYG-_ha28&feature=player_embedded#!

Be a Headshot's weblog follower today~!

http://www.headshotsdnbhd.blogspot.com
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-19, 18:11 »

lol i tried watching it,but ended up wacthing the new tribes game

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-19, 23:38 »

The code I've had to implement to get things to work correctly could easily be undone by a new programmer that doesn't understand why certain things are done certain way.

Shouldn't you then be commenting better within your code? Slipgate - Tongue

Actually, the issue is more about bad programmers.  These days, there are more bad programmers than good, and you often run into issues where some "programmer" just rips out a bunch of code, asks no one any questions as to why it's doing what it's doing, and doesn't tell anyone they did it. 

It's often with "hackish" code to work around some limitation.  So some new programmer thinks to himself, "Hey, we don't need to do that, I'll come in with my 0 years of experience with this product and replace it with my code".  Then you get calls from clients because software that they've been using for years is all of a sudden not doing what they need it to do.  Then you spend time tracking it down and determining responsibility.

I guess it's ok to forgive new programmers the first time they make that mistake, but honestly I think it is more often than not a big indicator about their competency.  They should have asked, and they should have explained what their intentions are.

/rant (I hate working with terrible programmers, thankfully I don't anymore)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-20, 08:51 »

Indeed.  I don't consider myself to be that good of a programmer, and maybe that's why the things I have gotten to work actually do work.  I simply look at what is already there and already works, then apply it to what I'm trying to do and see if it does what I need it to.  If I run up against something in there that someone else wrote and I don't know what it does but seems to be causing a problem with my code, I'll see what it does first rather than just ripping it out.  I tend to assume the problem is with my code first.  That's another reason I can be a bit slow with development.  Most of my development time is spent testing changes to make sure I didn't break anything else and to make sure my code works right.  Something that seems like it should be simple can be a lot harder to accomplish in reality once you get into the actual source and start tinkering.

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-21, 02:04 »

That's another reason I can be a bit slow with development.  Most of my development time is spent testing changes to make sure I didn't break anything else and to make sure my code works right.  Something that seems like it should be simple can be a lot harder to accomplish in reality once you get into the actual source and start tinkering.

You sound like a much better one than the majority out there.  You actually test your code???  So many people I've worked with just put their crappy code onto production, then it doesn't work (and depending on what the code does, screws up the other things such as production data), and then it need to be fixed again (typically by someone else) doubling the time spent on an issue. 

Anyway, I could go on and on about all the stupid things I've seen, but there's no real reason.  It's far better to take your time and test things rather than just use untested code.

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-21, 02:15 »

for a modder you're pretty darn good,pho  Doom - Thumbs Up!. sure you're not john carmack; but still act like the badarse coder that you are Sipgate - Evil so do what you need to do with gen Doom - Exclamation

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-21, 02:35 »

Well... thanks fellas.  Makes me feel all warm and fluffy.  Doom - Love

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-21, 03:30 »

hey dont get to soft, your gonna need a little toughness when playing 1.0 deathmatch Doom - Thumbs Up!
;stay fluffy become unfeathered by my strogg machine gun of death Sipgate - Evil
« Last Edit: 2011-08-21, 03:32 by J3E125 » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-21, 04:05 »

Oh don't worry.  My down may be fluffy, but my talons are still razor sharp.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: