2024-03-28, 14:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Homer Simpson voting  (Read 9189 times)
LunaG

Beta Tester
Baron of Hell

« on: 2011-08-16, 17:48 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ

What is he referring to about when he mentioned Ohio State?

I'm not sure if this will offend anyone, so I decided to put it over in Controversy corner

Be a Headshot's weblog follower today~!

http://www.headshotsdnbhd.blogspot.com
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-16, 22:58 »

lol i believe he is voting in ohio maybe Doom - Huh?

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-17, 06:45 »

According to one of the youtube comments voting machines were tampered with to cast votes for a predetermined candidate.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-17, 09:38 »

I'm not very familiar with the TV show, but I remember this hitting the internet a while back.  Apparently Homer is having a nightmare.  The comment "maybe in Ohio" is a general slap at the state of Ohio.  Ohio is in the heart of America's "midwest" which tends to have a reputation, at least in the form of an internet meme, of being populated with ignorant farmers that always vote Republican.  The creators of the TV program are just playing off this meme.  Google "Only in Ohio" for any number of jokes related to the state.  You'll also find "Only in America", "Only in California", etc.

As for electronic voting machines being rigged, you'll hear it from everyone.  If a Democrat wins, Republicans will claim the machines are rigged.  If a Republican wins, Democrats will claim the machines are rigged.  Ron Paul supporters will claim everything is rigged (Ron Paul is a Libertarian).  I doubt any party is immune to fraudulent voting practices, but to what degree such things go on is anyone's guess.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-17, 19:02 »

Speaking of Ron Paul and things being rigged against him, while I couldn't care less about the politics of the US, I saw a funny segment on the Daily Show (something I really don't watch for the aforementioned reason) of everyone ignoring Ron Paul after coming second in Iowa.

http://hypervocal.com/news/2011/stewart-...red-ron-paul-like-13th-floor-in-a-hotel/

The first video is the one.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-18, 20:58 »

The general public relies on the media for the political information. The media likes to pick out winners early on. Winners need easy to remember sound bites. Ron Paul will continue to fail in his presidential campaigns because he seems to be honestly against much of the status quo. His voting records will largely back this up, too. If you asked people, issue by issue, what they thought of Paul's opinions... I bet you'd find most people (from all political points) to be in agreement with a lot of what he thinks and says. But because the media ignores, dismisses, or undermines him people won't bother to think about his positions.

Another recent example of this would be Dennis Kucinich's campaign during the 2008 elections. He stood out from the crowd and that made him a target. He was belittled by the media for it, and as a result most people came to think of him as little more than a joke candidate despite his solid voting record and success as a congressman and mayor.

People will complain that they always end up with more of the same from politicians, but until people stop letting the mass media corporations decide for them, that's exactly what they'll continue to get (and deserve to get). Sadly, it seems people put more time and effort into deciding on their American Idol votes than their representative government.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-18, 21:00 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-19, 23:43 »

No argument from me there.  You're absolutely right.  Lazy Americans = bad government.  I gave up on people a long time ago.

Reminds me of a great sarcastic joke by David Mitchell:
"It's ridiculous! You don't take an active interest in how your country's run for just 45 years, and look what happens!"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-20, 08:17 »

Lazy Americans = bad government.

I remember another line often quoted that relates to this.  All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.  If you don't resist it then it's definitely going to happen and complaining about it after the fact accomplishes nothing.  I really do hate politics.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-20, 11:32 »

Well it's about the same here aswell, or rather every swede whines alot how things are but do nothing to change it, guess we are in the whining age, ohh the dreaded industrial country problems!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: