2024-04-20, 10:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 3 server on windows 2003 server  (Read 22016 times)
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« on: 2011-10-01, 09:17 »

I need some help let me explain what I have.

I have a box in my closet that I have setup windows server 2003 ent setup on.
I have it connected to the wall and to the LAN. I remote desktop to it to do everything.

I set teamspeak3 up on it and set it as a service. That was easy.

Now what I need to do is know how I should setup the server to run idtech3 servers. Obviously I know how to setup the idt3 side of the dedicated servers. What I need to know is should I setup a new user account to run the game servers in? I mean how do game server host setup there machines to do this. I do realize that most host use Linux for this but for me remote desktop is way easier.

And correct me if I am wrong but I think windows server will close all programs when you log out... Any help is appreciated.

GET THAT GUY GET THAT GUY, PEW PEW PEW!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-01, 12:17 »

I'm not very familiar with Server 2003, but if it runs anything like Server 2000 it would work something like this.

First, create a shortcut to Quake3.exe, or whatever executable you're using.  I'm going to assume it is Quake 3.exe for this.  Assuming that you installed Quake 3 Arena in the default location, in the "target" command line, you want this:

"C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe" +set fs_game baseq3 +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg

You'll need to create a server.cfg file that has your specific server settings, and to initiate a map sequence.  It may look something like this:

Code:
set rcon_password "something"
set g_gametype "0"
set fraglimit "25"
set timelimit "15"
set bot_minplayers "4"
set g_spskill "3"

set m1 "map q3dm1; set nextmap vstr m2"
set m2 "map q3dm17 ; set nextmap vstr m3"
set m3 "map q3tourney5; set nextmap vstr m4"
set m4 "map pro-q3tourney2 ; set nextmap vstr m5"
set m5 "map q3dm4 ; set nextmap vstr m6"
set m6 "map q3dm8 ; set nextmap vstr m7"
set m7 "map q3dm12 ; set nextmap vstr m8"
set m8 "map pro-q3dm6 ; set nextmap vstr m9"
set m9 "map q3dm7 ; set nextmap vstr m10"
set m10 "map q3dm18 ; set nextmap vstr m11"
set m11 "map q3dm17 ; set nextmap vstr m12"
set m12 "map q3dm9 ; set nextmap vstr m1"

vstr m1

That's for a normal Q3 server, as opposed to a Generations server.  Gen handles map rotations differently, so if you're looking for setting up a Generations server it's a little easier to control the map lists.  Now as for user switching... that's going to depend on how Server 2003 handles that.  XP has fast user switching as an option which keeps one account's programs running while logging in to another.  I don't know if that's a feature in Server 2003.  If it is, you may be able to switch accounts and not lose your Q3 server.  If not, then logging out will close the Q3 server.  Locking the station should keep it running.

I'm running two Q3 servers on a Win XP Pro desktop and it works fine.  I just have it set to automatically start the shortcuts when the computer boots.  The only problem with Q3's executable is that there's a bug dealing with svs.time overflowing and tripping the sign bit, causing bobbing items to malfunction and animmap shaders to stall after about 24 hours of up time.  Restarting the server using Task Manager (Does 2K3 have this?) or Cron in linux solves this.  Alternatively, the problem is fixed in the IOQuake3 engine.  I actually wrote most of the fix and posted it to quakesrc.org before it went offline, and a few other fellows contributed but I don't have their names since the site went down to give them proper credit.   Slipgate - Surprised

Anyway, if there's any other questions let us know and we'll help you get set up.
  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-01, 16:25 »

You can remote desktop in linux too Slipgate - Tongue  You of course need to install a gui desktop, but there are very light ones which won't tax the system much (still much less than windows) like fluxbox, openbox, blackbox, etc; from there you use XDMCP for a remote session.  Then there's always VNC. 

I'm not saying to switch, I'm just letting you know you can remote desktop on linux too Slipgate - Smile  Command line can be your friend, and you can mount NFS and samba shares on a windows computer so you can edit them in your preferred editor instead of vi/vim, nano, etc.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-01, 19:36 »

Why can't linux ppls come up with more "friendly" names? Slipgate - Smile even thought i have to agree blackbox sounds quite nice Slipgate - Wink
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #4 on: 2011-10-01, 22:25 »

I'm not saying to switch

Yea you are... It would be alot easyer im starting to feel... Besides its not like i can use the licence key for the TS server on linux and it probably would be more secure than windows 2003.

So what distro of linux are you going to reccomend...
]

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #5 on: 2011-10-02, 03:19 »

Arch Linux looks like it would be the way to go....

I could just SSH to it after i installed the base of arch... thoughts?

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2011-10-02, 16:23 »

No I wasn't actually Slipgate - Smile  You should have just stuck it out with windows.  I just wanted to give you a little more information about "poor linux".  It is (as I know you know) a far more powerful operating system, and most everything you can do in windows you can do in linux and better with the exception of running windows tailored applications (which sadly means most games).  Windows is simpler, though, and more user friendly.  I spent at least a day fighting with ubuntu (which is consider one of the more user friendly distros) to get the audio drivers working (had to completely strip out ubuntu's pulse audio crap and just use alsa in the end).

As far as distros, it's preference.  I prefer apt based distributions, so ubuntu or debian.  Debian typically uses outdated packages which are thoroughly tested by that point so it's possibly better for production servers.  Ubuntu is more "cutting edge" meaning packages get in there quickly just by making them work in ubuntu without really doing a lot of testing.

For RPM based servers, CentOS is an excellent choice.  I just haven't used yum in a long time other than once in a blue moon to do something on a server that someone needs help on.

Those are the only distros I've spent a fair amount of time in.  There are a ton out there.

I'm curious why you selected Archlinux.  Most distros are virtually the same in performance across a wide spectrum.

What are your system specs and how many servers are you planning on running on it?
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2011-10-02, 16:37 »

Oh, and honestly, go with what you know unless you want to turn this into a learning experience.  Windows can be more vulnerable but if you shut down all the stuff that shouldn't run on a system that is only intended to serve q3/ts/mumble (i.e. shutdown web services and block all but remote port and server ports), then it can be fine so long as you have the extra resources (mostly RAM) needed for it.
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #8 on: 2011-10-02, 18:36 »

I gave up on it because I don't have time to sit down and learn to manage Linux. And on the same hand I dont want to have all this stuff setup on windows because there are people out there with nothing better to do...

All I did was swap the hdd so that I wouldn't waste my install.

It's a dell computer pentium 4 emt64 with 1024 of ram.

I dunno what it is really it was a gift. It's descent and 2003 is peppy on it. Arch was screaming though. Concidering that it had no xserver or GUI...

How much do you charge...

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-02, 20:31 »

If you want me to help you setup a server, just go with ubuntu server.  Get Maverick, not Natty:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/ubuntu-10.10-server-amd64.iso

After you've installed the server, you can follow this basic security guide:
http://www.andrewault.net/2010/05/17/securing-an-ubuntu-server/

Only go to the DenyHosts step.  Unless you're actually going to be monitoring the logs, don't worry about tiger, psad, chkrootkit, etc -- they are great tools, but probably not something you'd use.

I'll help once you've done that.
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #10 on: 2011-10-02, 22:36 »

why .10 and not .04 just curious

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #11 on: 2011-10-03, 07:02 »

Done... Sent a PM

The licensekey.dat is in the home folder of rnr

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2011-10-04, 00:08 »

No I wasn't actually Slipgate - Smile  You should have just stuck it out with windows.  I just wanted to give you a little more information about "poor linux".  It is (as I know you know) a far more powerful operating system, and most everything you can do in windows you can do in linux and better with the exception of running windows tailored applications (which sadly means most games).  Windows is simpler, though, and more user friendly.  I spent at least a day fighting with ubuntu (which is consider one of the more user friendly distros) to get the audio drivers working (had to completely strip out ubuntu's pulse audio crap and just use alsa in the end).

As far as distros, it's preference.  I prefer apt based distributions, so ubuntu or debian.  Debian typically uses outdated packages which are thoroughly tested by that point so it's possibly better for production servers.  Ubuntu is more "cutting edge" meaning packages get in there quickly just by making them work in ubuntu without really doing a lot of testing.

For RPM based servers, CentOS is an excellent choice.  I just haven't used yum in a long time other than once in a blue moon to do something on a server that someone needs help on.

Those are the only distros I've spent a fair amount of time in.  There are a ton out there.

I'm curious why you selected Archlinux.  Most distros are virtually the same in performance across a wide spectrum.

What are your system specs and how many servers are you planning on running on it?

Well when it comes to webservers and other webapplications Linux kicks ass (not to forget the license costs) Slipgate - Smile Thought as an desktop os for non powerusers windows/mac os is still the easiest, but i still have faith that someday linux will be there aswell Slipgate - Smile
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #13 on: 2011-10-06, 01:50 »

Hey Fourier
I'm off tomorrow and Friday but I work all weekend. What do I need to do next? Slipgate - Smile

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #14 on: 2011-10-07, 10:13 »

Doom - Huh?

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #15 on: 2011-10-07, 19:52 »

You should change the SSH port in the config file.  I think it's /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  Then test to make sure you can login.  The reason you do this is because bots pound on the door all day long if you don't.  Changing to a non-standard ssh port clears up the bulk of those.  Most of them try root logins, so disabling the root login (as in the guide) pretty much kills the majority of them anyway.

Install q3 and ioq3:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/6275399/Quake_III_Arena_1_32b_3_Linux

http://ioquake3.org/files/1.36/installer/ioquake3-1.36-7.1.x86_64.run

You need to chmod +x both of those files and install them with sudo.

For UFW, I usually do:
Code:
sudo ufw default deny
sudo ufw allow #/tcp (where # is whatever you changed ssh to)
sudo ufw allow 27960/udp (and whatever other ports you'll need for quake 3)
sudo ufw enable

If you followed that guide I posted, you should ufw delete the rule for ssh (since you won't be using ssh over port 22).

After you've setup the firewall, setup the servers.  I'll try to see if I still have an init.d script for q3 servers.
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #16 on: 2011-10-08, 08:54 »

bah forget... i tried and all i get is errors... i give up

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #17 on: 2011-10-08, 17:51 »

lol, is it really that hard?  Which part of it is giving errors?  The installers should just install with minimal interaction from you.

You know windows; find a nice method of running the servers as a process and adding them to the startup (or you can just make batch files and edit msconfig to run them on start).  Then just schedule reboots on the machine.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2011-10-09, 02:40 »

I don't even bother with msconfig.  I just put the shortcuts in the "startup" folder and it loads automatically at server boot.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #19 on: 2011-10-09, 04:07 »

Ugh u would really have it on Linux I guess I assumed wrong about the kind of help you were willing to give. The big problem I'm having right now is that I cannot get the cd to mount. So I cannot copy the pak0 to the folder. Maybe it would be easyer if you could log in and have a look at what I have done and see if I have done something wrong. I know right now that you cannot because the port for ssh has been changed but not in the router.

Let me know if you would like to do that.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: