2024-03-29, 13:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rage  (Read 12563 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #20 on: 2011-10-25, 22:54 »

LOL. Slipgate - Laugh

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #21 on: 2011-10-26, 04:22 »

I'll have to look into that! Not that I'm having much luck with making an actual playthrough happen... the mouse and keyboard on my gaming PC have decided they only want to work about 70% of the time in-game. Which for me, makes playing it 100% impossible, and I haven't been able to figure out the problem. My guess: Once again, wireless peripherals suck. I have wired solutions at my parents' house, the issue is getting them...

I haven't played DNF yet, but I was hating the vehicle controls in Rage. My available solution: Connect a wired Xbox 360 controller and enable it. The driving is actually somewhat enjoyable for me with that, and the keyboard controls still function with the gamepad on, too.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2011-10-26, 16:30 »

For driving in Rage, I've found that tapping the keys quickly works better than holding them when it comes to making fine adjustments in steering and using the brakes on turns.  Also, get the performance tires as quickly as you can.  They make a huge difference in reducing unwanted drift on tight turns without sacrificing speed.

Some advice on vehicles.  After you get to Wellspring and start into the races, I wouldn't worry too much on doing too many upgrades on the Dune Buster or the Rat Rod (if you have the Anarchy Edition).  Do get the tires will help most for the track races, but upgrading the engine, shocks, armor, etc, is just wasting certificates.  You can get pretty much all the speed you need on the track by using boost on the straightaways.  Use the racing certs for upgrading the Cuprino once you get it and concentrate on that since it's going to be your battle wagon through a lot of the game and also in the harder races.  Don't bother buying a ramming grille either, just win the one off Starky.  I found this out AFTER I bought the default grille...  Also, if you're having trouble getting racing certificates by winning races you can also get them by working for Sally in the bar.  Races will give you more in one go, but if you're just a few shy of getting a needed item then helping Sally with her problem will definitely help contribute.

For vehicle quick use, I've found the Shield and Armor Restore rock, the Aftershocker is absolutely devastating, hover turrets don't do too much damage but help you keep track of where the bad guys are driving if they keep getting around you, and drop mines absolutely suck.  You can also never have enough minigun ammo.  5,000 rounds is reasonable, and I'm not joking either.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #23 on: 2011-10-27, 05:40 »

Out of curiosity, do you know if there's a way to bind a key to enable/disable the gamepad? Jumping in and out of the menu to do so is kind of grating, though it's worth it for me to have driving controls I can actually work with. The game is actually enjoyable with a proper control setup, though... like a working mouse and keyboard. Holy crap!

Also, re: finding items -- In a game with as many fetch quests as this, there's generally no reason to buy anything but the most basic equipment that isn't too common in the field. Since restarting the game after installing the Anarchy Edition items, I don't think I've gone to a shop to do anything but sell items and buy the monocular. The only thing I think I need to grab from there is the assault rifle, since I don't seem to be coming across one elsewhere. Not that I've needed it; the Settler Pistol does great at mid-range (and long, with fatboys), combat shotgun for charging enemies, and the double-barreled badass if someone gets in your face.

But that's my limited experience with a real playthrough so far. Something will prove me wrong... it almost always happens.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2011-10-27, 17:25 »

The Assault Rifle is nice because ammo is plentiful for it, and after adding a few goodies it becomes a lot more accurate.  Once you get to Wellspring, some of the items available for sale become much more valuable.  There are some recipes for making neat things, along with components for said neat things, that you can't always get in the field.  Once your vehicle is armed, that's the only way to get ammo for the miniguns and rockets, plus the quickuse vehicle items, is through the shops.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: