2024-03-28, 17:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 12709 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2003-09-11, 14:51 »

Like he said. Pull up your console in-game (default  ` key (tilde)) and type in:  "/r_drawviewmodel 0" (without the quotes of course) and your weapon goes poof! gone!

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
tornjaw

« Reply #21 on: 2003-09-11, 16:09 »

Quote from: Karen
Is there a way to do that in Q3A?
To remove the hand/weapon from screen~

From console:
Quake 1 - "r_drawviewmodel 0"
Quake 2 - "hand 2"
Quake 3 - "cg_drawGun 0"

Also, a suggestion of my own, the Strogg class should have the option of setting the location, onscreen, of the weapon. Just like it was in Q2...
Karen

« Reply #22 on: 2003-09-12, 22:11 »

For Quake 2, it's cl_gun 0, but that's just one of the ways to turn it off.  Any FOV besides 90 and you can't see the weapon.

I think I read that the models can't be mirrored in Q3A, so there probably won't be a handed option.  Even if everthing's not exactly the same, I still get the impression I'm playing those old games again.

Let the axe swing in Quake!   Let the games begin!
dsm

« Reply #23 on: 2003-09-13, 13:53 »

When I first heard of Generations, I was impressed that it was possible and my interest greatly piqued. When I tried it, I found that it was much, much cooler than I expected.

This mod rocks guys.

I particularly like the Strogg arsenal - very well done and very impressive. The Quake arsenal is also pretty cool I think, but maybe Karen is right that the normal shotgun looks a bit wimpy.
I've got mixed feeling with the majority of the Doom weapons however (the chaingun is awesome though), but that's to be expected for a Doom fanatic like me and I don't expect them to be improved either (I mean, why should you?).
Specifics are the shotguns and the plasma weapons: The shotguns look far too old-fashioned for my tastes, they even look older and more primitive than the original ones imo - at least the brown areas didn't look exactly like wood (more like some sort of plastic material that was painted brown) in the classic Doom game.
The plasma rifle looks too "shiny" with those plasma tubes (which is the same issue I had with the Q3A plasma rifle) - I just don't think a believable weapon would have such a large source of light, plus I liked the original brown coating of the original better.
The BFG looks like a big plastic toy gun and seems much too broad imho (compare it to the Strogg BFG 10K).

But those small issues with weapons looks are completely obliterated in the light of everything else which just plain rocks - great work guys.

Looking forward to seeing animated weapons in the upcoming versions Slipgate - Smile
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #24 on: 2003-09-14, 15:44 »

Quote from: Karen
The difference between the original Quake shotgun and its supershotgun was but the addition of another barrel.  I spent a lot of time playing Quake, and there was no way to turn the visual weapons off, so I saw a lot of the shotgun.  The super shotgun was very similar - it fired what appeared to be two of the same gauge shot, and used twice the ammo.

The contrast of Generations version is much more pronounced - the shotgun looks like a puny pistol (or perhaps a rifle) and the supershotgun looks fairly massive, and actually looks like an oversized shotgun.

But how does the original shotgun look against the pistol-like Gen weapon?  A bit different!
alot of the q1 weapons are borrowed from the classic quake(i think?) mod a while ago.. hence why they look massively diffrent.. but like they said, they may get redone whenever we get the time..
dsm

« Reply #25 on: 2003-09-15, 16:31 »

May I ask what the next major feature you're working on for the next release of Generations will be?

Or is that classified? Slipgate - Smile
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-09-15, 18:42 »

By and large, bug fixes. I believe the menu and hud are on the table as well. Beyond that probably some poking at getting dualgats properly visible again 3rd person. All in all, I'll wait on pho and then see if we can get a todo list up here Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2003-09-16, 00:11 »

Don't forget weapon animation :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite