2024-03-28, 12:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk About Hats...  (Read 10480 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« on: 2012-02-16, 01:38 »

...When you can talk virtual marriage rings. Slipgate - Exhausted First the freakin' hats!! Then this! Slipgate - Shouting It's basically second life now. Here's how Valve describes the ring:

Quote from: Valve
"First, it's not tradable, only giftable. When it shows up in your special someone's backpack, they can click on it to open a menu that will let them accept your proposal. Once the proposal's been accepted, a message will be broadcast to the entire TF community that will include your name, your special someone's name, and whatever you decided to call the ring. Then presto, the gift turns into two matching diamond bands you can wear in the rain while you smooch up a storm, you crazy kids."
Well here's the picture:

(I'm done with TF2,*sigh* back to Realm of the mad god.)

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-16, 15:22 »

Times change, but at least TF2 is last bastion of rocket launcher and similar weapons and game style.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-16, 16:07 »

This... is beyond shameful.  We can't get a continuation of the Half-Life 2 story, and yet they'll make this crap for TF2 - and gamers are still plunking down time and money to get cosmetic items that do absolutely nothing for the game.  I stopped playing TF2 a while back because it's impossible to actually play TF2.  The only way you can play what TF2 used to be is by joining in with this group and downloading oldTF2:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/oldteamfortress

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-16, 18:43 »

Well we as computer gamers, are in equal state with figure (warhammer alike) or card (magic), to play we only need game or rulebook and paper drawn models, but people just like fancy, nice cards, figures, hats.
And it always was like that, this is why we got from q1 up to q3, and downhill with q4.

Is it shameful as such not in my opinion, but companies that do that are focused only on that are, and that is why probably Doom4 will be, if it will ever be, similar to modern "shooters" or will be bashed like Duke Forever was despite solid and enjoyable.

What state of game is that oldTF2 at what patch it stopped?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-16, 20:33 »

It's the version after the bug with Gravel Pit was fixed, but otherwise it's pretty much vanilla at time of retail - no alternate weapons, no air blast on the flamethrower, etc.  It's literally an old version of TF2.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-28, 00:39 »

Seriously, this is just ... what??

Are modern gamers really that stupid?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-28, 04:25 »

This... is beyond shameful.  We can't get a continuation of the Half-Life 2 story, and yet they'll make this crap for TF2 - and gamers are still plunking down time and money to get cosmetic items that do absolutely nothing for the game.  I stopped playing TF2 a while back because it's impossible to actually play TF2.  The only way you can play what TF2 used to be is by joining in with this group and downloading oldTF2:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/oldteamfortress

Your views mimic my own when it comes to TF2.

I used to play TF2 somewhat regularly.. on a 24/7 2fort server no less.. but it just annoys me when most of the talk is trading for hats, or trading for weapons. Looking at my own inventory is equally disappointing, because I was collecting all of the weapons.. 80% of which never saw any use.

As for the $100 virtual wedding ring. I'm speechless. However, the choice to have such an item just reduces my chances of ever loading the game up again. The game's direction took a scenic detour and got lost.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-02, 00:51 »

I hope ids quake server is up, I guess ill go back to QTeamfortress then.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2012-04-21, 07:12 »

It seems to be up... don't mess with that crap if you have to. Screw that. It seems it's a money sink. That's insane for DLC. I downloaded it about a month ago.. thank God I didn't start playing it. I guess that's on my uninstall list.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2012-04-21, 09:31 »

Well, if you want to see how TF2 is supposed to be, you can load up your own private server and add some bots in.  That will give you a feel for what the game was.   You'll also start receiving randomly "dropped" items in your inventory, such as alternate weapons.  That can show you how the hats and unlockable weapons have ruined the game.  You'll also receive "crates" in your inventory.  Those are trollbait to tempt you to buy keys.  Yes, you have to buy, with real money, keys to unlock virtual items.  I think this comic illustrates that best.  NSFW advisory as it does have some rude language and one very disturbing image at the end.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2012-04-21, 11:24 »

Heh... just like in DC Universe with their lockboxes. I grabbed some station cash to unlock one just to get a potion that heals an X amount of health and power for 2.5 minutes. I don't think that persists through death so I haven't used it yet. Slap me if you like but I needed to find a curb to my WoW addiction lol. Kind of  Slipgate - Off Topic Sry but kind of relevant, so to speak.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #11 on: 2012-04-21, 14:47 »

Well, if you want to see how TF2 is supposed to be, you can load up your own private server and add some bots in.  That will give you a feel for what the game was.   You'll also start receiving randomly "dropped" items in your inventory, such as alternate weapons.  That can show you how the hats and unlockable weapons have ruined the game.  You'll also receive "crates" in your inventory.  Those are trollbait to tempt you to buy keys.  Yes, you have to buy, with real money, keys to unlock virtual items.  I think this comic illustrates that best.  NSFW advisory as it does have some rude language and one very disturbing image at the end.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300
I bought one key when I found my first crate. If anything, all that did was aid in my choice to load up the game with increasing rareness. When I do play, I delete every crate I find.. the same way I used to delete every hat I managed to stumble across (which nobody believes I ever did).

I think it's funny though. I liked TF2 when it came out, but I don't really think all that much about it.. however, just the other day I was watching old QWTF matches on YouTube. Every time someone mentions TFC or TF2, I always think back to QWTF instead. Awesome beast of a mod that still had competitive clan ladders 5 years after Q1 was released without the aid of achievements, garbage weapons, and useless hats.
...maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon wearing rose-tinted nostalgia goggles though, who knows.
*sigh*

Now, please.. get off my lawn!

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: