2024-03-28, 17:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Doom 64 PC Port  (Read 9275 times)
Gnam

Makron

« on: 2012-06-08, 18:30 »

http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

Don't know how many of you were fans of Doom 64 or the Absolution TC, but the main developer has decided to try again with a different approach. Rather than remaking all of the levels and scripting from scratch in the Doomsday engine, his new project converts the original N64 ROM to a WAD, then runs it in the KEX engine, leading to a more faithful recreation of the original game.

On the downside, it's missing Doomsday's dynamic light system. On the upside, the interface is more streamlined and multiplayer is possible, though I wasn't able to get it to work and Kaiser admits there are many bugs to be worked out.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-08, 22:20 »

Tried it and it's awsome Slipgate - Smile much better than the doom 64 tc. downside is that you need to have the n64 rom file on your PC to be able to extract the wad (or get your hands on it some other way) played it for a few lvls and it's exactly like it was on the nintendo 64 (thought now running it on 1920X1080 ress Slipgate - Tongue)

Imo doom 64 had one of the most frustrating hard secrets in any game, trying to solve all those puzzles will take alot of time! And killing demons while doing it just makes it even better!

i tried the following and got the server to work using an .bat file

For the server: doom64.exe -server -iwad DOOM64.wad -warp01

and the client: doom64.exe -iwad DOOM64.wad -connect "server ip adress"

press the ready key on the server once the client connects.

Just tested multiplayer briefly thought heard it had horrible sync problems, will try more later with my irl mate Slipgate - Smile

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-10, 14:52 »

Doom 64 was... different. The N64 version had its flaws though, mostly that even after turning the brightness on the game and the TV all the way up I still couldn't really see shit.

So a PC port is pretty cool, I'll have to check it out, hopefully it's less... weird than absolution.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-10, 22:14 »

Well Doom 64 was abit more dark than original doom and that's the charm really, can't say i had that kind of brightness problems, thought some maps are just..quite dark Slipgate - Smile

I've played it abit more and must say doom64ex > absolution tc
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-11, 01:27 »

Yeah, I've had this on my HDD for a while now, and it's much closer to the N64 original than the Doomsday TC. What's more, Kaiser is working on a version of Doom Builder specifically for it (seriously, that guy is a genius).

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-11, 13:26 »

Thank you for pointing me to this. Friggin fantastic!

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-11, 16:51 »

Just tested multiplayer briefly thought heard it had horrible sync problems, will try more later with my irl mate Slipgate - Smile
Yeah that's the issue I'm having. For starters both players spawn in the same spot (cause there's only 1 spawn point) and are stuck inside eachother. By running diagonally, you can break free from the spawn, but the game is already out of sync at that point; from each players' perspective the other player is frozen and motionless, and any monsters the other player kills will appear alive on your game....essentially each player gets a single-player game with a frozen marine standing at the spawn point.

On the up side, Kaiser said he wants to look at my cfg files to figure out why it's not working.

Doom 64 was... different. The N64 version had its flaws though, mostly that even after turning the brightness on the game and the TV all the way up I still couldn't really see shit.
Yeah, I had that problem too back in the day - our family tv room was brightly lit in the daytime, so it was impossible to make out D64's subtle lighting underneath the layer of glare on the glass. I also feel like glare was a major component of people's complaints about Doom 3 - while both games are dark, you CAN still see things as long as you've got the right settings (make sure the brightness isn't down on your monitor and there's no glare shining in from the windows).

Despite the invconvenience of glare sensitivity during daytime gaming, I still like Doom 64's lighting a lot - it lends a lot more mood. When playing Doom 1 and 2 on Doomsday I actually turn the gamma down to get it closer to Doom 64...worst case scenario you have to use JDoom's ambient glow coming off lamp posts and fireballs to navigate the particularly dark rooms.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-11, 20:55 »

Odd me and my mate played doom64 coop the other day, had no sync issues or spawning into each others your using version 2.3?

Yeah the lights in doom 64 is alot more "moody" and i love it! and doom 64 even had "dynamic" lights which was pretty cool at the time, only thing i dont like with doom 64 is maybe sometimes the puzzles are abit..unlogical
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-23, 00:54 »

I had a moment to check this out. It feels much more like a real PC version of Doom 64 than the Absolution TC did. I might actually be able to play through this.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: