2024-03-28, 16:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations Arena Videos  (Read 38405 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2013-08-07, 19:35 »

I fixed the server list on the links page.  I didn't realize my IP address had changed.  Right now I'm running the only dedicated server I know of, but I'm on a 5Mbps upload so play should be smooth.

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generatio...rvers.php?viewServer=75.186.88.228:27967

Feel free to use any time anyone wants to get a game going.

Edit:  You'll have to manually add the server into Qtracker for now if you're using that.  For some reason Qtracker's master server isn't listing it yet.  I just set up the master info and ports, and I'm not sure how long it takes to show up in the server list.  If it's not included by the weekend I'll bug Mercer about it and see if he can fix that.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-07, 20:43 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #21 on: 2013-08-08, 15:23 »

I played a lot of Doom dial-up back in its prime, but Quake 2 was my first real experience with online multiplayer - as in, join a server with 20+ players and get to fraggin.  I have very fond memories playing CTF on McKinley Revival.  Suppose that's why Strogg is my second favorite class (the first being Doom).

Speaking of which, the Strogg Troopers video is now live: http://youtu.be/eoW6EE5xEC0

-JL
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2013-08-08, 17:27 »

Nice work on Slimy Place.  Those were some pretty good shots with the grenade launcher, and a pretty epic run with the Chaingun.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #23 on: 2013-08-09, 02:32 »

For what it's worth, I'm siding with the Strogg Troopers. They just feel right to me, due to the amount of time I spent in Quake 2 deathmatch compared to other games. If they have any downfall, it's that many of their weapons are rather specialized. Each great for the right situation, but none capable of properly handling all situations.

That said, I always thought Quake 1 had a much more interesting world. The Shambler is still my all-time favorite video game monster.
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #24 on: 2013-08-10, 01:12 »

Nice to see the server is back up.  However, I tried to join it and it seems I'm missing a file - q3simple2.pk3.  I did some Googling to find the file and stumbled across a thread in the Wirehead forums (http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.php?topic=2182.0.  However, the link to the pk3 is no longer available.

-JL
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2013-08-10, 02:54 »

You shouldn't need that file.  That map isn't in any of the rotations... I think we were testing it at some point.  All the needed files are on the downloads page.  Turn off autodownloading and you should be able to connect.

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #26 on: 2013-08-12, 01:02 »

Got it to work.  Thanks for the help!  Also, thanks for introducing me to QTracker.  That program is a lifesaver.

-JL
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2013-08-15, 19:37 »

Well for me q1 will always have a special place in my heart with qw and ctf really giving "multiplayer" a whole new view!
But i have some good memories with doom and my buddies playing LAN and on top of that using PC-speaker Slipgate - Tongue
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #28 on: 2013-08-15, 21:51 »

The Arena Gladiators get some love too (especially that shiny new BFG they have!): http://youtu.be/PKhvgEWXfto

...Orbb got lucky on that last match.  Banging Head against Wall

-JL
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #29 on: 2013-08-15, 23:17 »

You're purposely dodging the Earth class, aren't you? Slipgate - Smirk

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #30 on: 2013-08-15, 23:59 »

Saving the most unique class for last!

EDIT:  Well, that's highly debatable... Doom - Love
« Last Edit: 2013-08-16, 00:03 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #31 on: 2013-08-16, 06:33 »

Earth is overall the most limited class in terms of weapon variety and movement options. It's something of a risky class since it's the only class that can get a BFG-class weapon on every single map, but that also gives them the potential to be a BFG factory for Doom/Strogg/Arena. They have more weapons than any other class that share a single ammo type and the least straight-forward rocket launcher in the game, but mastering them and wise use of the flamethrower is extremely rewarding. More than any other, you're not going to get very far if you don't actually learn what the class can and can't do, but that knowledge makes a solid Earth player extremely dangerous.

"Most unique" is a more than fitting description.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2013-08-17, 01:16 »

I added a few notes after your video of some minor changes to the Arena class, as well as where the new HUD came from.  Orbb did indeed get lucky on that last match.  Slipgate - Surprised

As for Earth... Earth is definitely tricky to use, but if mastered, can be absolutely devastating.  It's easy to get armor and easy to get gatling guns, but you have to learn how to use the mortar, flamethrower and rifle for when you run out of bullets or when things aren't within bullet range.  Running out of bullets is definitely bad.  As for mastery... ConfusedUs used to absolutely dominate with the Earth Soldiers class when he was still playing heavily.  I remember one CTF match on Heat where he was on defense with Dual Gatling Guns and the Autodoc CTF tech and was a one man army in the Blue flag room.  I was on the other team, and I'm pretty sure my team lost that one.  I don't remember if it was a shut out, but it was definitely lopsided.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #33 on: 2013-08-17, 20:29 »

Con is one of the reasons I hate, but respect, that class. Slipgate - Distraught

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #34 on: 2013-08-17, 20:43 »

I appreciate the notes!  I wasn't sure how much Q3 had changed with its inclusion in Generations Arena.  Good info to have.

I suppose Earth is the most unique class in the game  Slipgate - Grin But I would argue that every class is unique in some sense when comparing physics, armor types, etc.  It's part of what makes the mod so appealing to me (aside from nostalgia).

-JL
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #35 on: 2013-08-23, 02:23 »

And, last but not least, The Earth Soldiers!  Big Gun

http://youtu.be/dzR42Qgjr-Y

Thus concludes my little Generations Arena series.

Based on some of the comments I've seen on the videos (and from Reddit, because apparently someone posted one of them there), many people had never seen the mod before.  Happy to see I brought some fresh eyeballs to the table.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

-JL
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2013-08-23, 19:17 »

Good to know some people have seen it that hadn't before.  Many thanks for posting the videos!  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: