2024-03-28, 15:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Live update...  (Read 13592 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2014-09-24, 19:16 »

Besides the old spammy BFG (which we've addressed), what kind of things?  I was never a big fan of "out of the box" Q3 myself, so you have me curious.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #21 on: 2014-09-24, 22:40 »

Nothing major, really. More like refinements and minor modernizations.

I would love to see grenades be affected by the game physics, such as jump pads. Low-gravity stuff could really make sense then as well (a'hem, Ziggurat Vertigo). Likwise, I always wished the larger projectiles (like rockets and grenades) could follow players through portals. Sipgate - Evil

I never liked that the Lightning Gun doesn't discharge in water, either. Of course, I can at least get my fix of that with the Slipgaters here. Slipgate - Love

I do think that you guys changed the BFG for the better. The pain-particles really make the gun stand out as more than just a beefy plasma gun. Doom - Thumbs Up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2014-09-25, 00:28 »

LeeMon once said something about the Q3 BFG along the lines of nobody questioning that it's a big gun, but the "F" part was open to debate, so we decided to put the "F" back into BFG.  Of course, Q3 purists can still play with the original if they like.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Grenades and gravity, you say?  Load up Gen, and do a /devmap on your favorite map, then do a /set g_gravity 200.  Have fun with the grenade launchers - including Arena's.

Only bad thing about sending projectiles through teleporters is Q3 uses see-through one-way portals, and it would be too easy in some cases to just camp and shoot rockets through.  I do like the bounce pad concept though.  Time grenades right off a bounce pad and you could do some crazy air stuff.  I wonder if Defrag has that...
  Slipgate - Confused

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #23 on: 2014-09-25, 02:23 »

I like the story behind the BFG. It should really be on a t-shirt. "Generations Arena: Putting the F back in BFG!" Firing the BFG

I had no idea about the grenades' gravity! Slipgate - Surprised Now the mod really needs a good remake of Ziggurat Vertigo! The only one I could find on ..::lvl seems to replace the GL with the RG. Slipgate - Sad

I didn't think about the camera portals. They show up pretty sparingly throughout the game, but would certainly pose a tactical nightmare if rockets could be sent through.
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #24 on: 2014-09-26, 17:16 »

I don't really play quake anymore, but I think I've already had a tirade on here somewhere about why I dislike Quake Live.  It boils down to the programmer who was involved in it and his holier-than-thou, intolerant, arrogant attitude.  More importantly, quake live essentially killed the diminished Q3A community by shifting people over to it.

Like I said, I don't play quake anymore, but once in a long while I am reminded of the fun I had playing the game: OSP CTF pickups; RA3 clan arena matches; and CTF, clan arena, and defrag style stuff in my own mod.  Some of that has to do with the mods themselves and the quality environment, but more of it has to do with the people I played with.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2014-09-26, 18:12 »

It boils down to the programmer who was involved in it and his holier-than-thou, intolerant, arrogant attitude.

Just for clarification, I've never worked on Quake Live.  I know it may be kind of hard to believe, but fourier's talking about a different programmer.  Slipgate - Laugh

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: