2024-03-19, 03:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It Getting Hot In Here?  (Read 12164 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2018-06-26, 03:00 »

The Earth Soldiers are here to bring their special kind of pain.  First up is the Fireball Gun.  As if lighting enemies on fire wasn't effective enough, some sadistic mind found a way to do it from a distance.  It's not nicknamed the "Gib Toaster" without reason.

Located any place where Arena Gladiators would find a Chaingun.

The Mortar is a fine weapon, but how can it be made better?  Simple, just add fire.  Originally called the Firestorm, it quickly earned the title Hellstorm after being seen in action and the name stuck.  The shells from this cannon fly a little farther and it takes a little longer to recover from the brutal recoil, but the results speak for themselves.  If you've ever needed to reduce an enemy squad to ashes in a single shot this can do it.

Look where Arena Gladiators would find a Nailgun to get your hands on one of these.

Instead of lobbing smaller bombs everywhere, sometimes you just want one big bomb to take care of a big problem.  Earth Soldiers decided to bring some old-school Dynamite to the party.  Just set the timer, toss, and let the gibbing begin.

Found wherever the Arena Gladiators would get their Prox Launcher or Prox Mine ammo packs.

If the pictures aren't enough, here's a video of the new guns in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fel9a4kqNo

Work begins on the final weapon for the Strogg Troopers.
« Last Edit: 2018-07-01, 04:31 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
KAIL333XZ

Imp

I'm mechanical one!

« Reply #1 on: 2018-06-27, 21:28 »

The dynamite looks absolutely incretible! I really like both the mesh and the texture.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

The Hellstorm could use slightly different barrel mesh and texture to have more difference from the mortar. For example, you can make the barrel black and add the yellow-black danger line (sorry, i don't know how it's called) at its edge, near the iron sight. I know that such suggestions will take the project further and further from release, so just keep the design as it is.

The Fireball Gun looks just okay. I prefer its combat stats more. Slipgate - Smile

Overall, I really like the progress with the Earth Soldiers. Thanks for the video.

Now, waiting for the Stroggs' Phalanx Cannon!  Slipgate - Wink
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #2 on: 2018-06-27, 22:13 »

The Fireball Gun is probably my favorite weapon, regardless of class. So satisfying! Sipgate - Evil
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2018-06-28, 01:17 »

The dynamite looks absolutely incretible! I really like both the mesh and the texture.  Doom - Thumbs Up!
Aye, it's one of my favorites.  If you watch the video, you might notice that the timer isn't just for decoration either.  Slipgate - Ninja

The Hellstorm could use slightly different barrel mesh and texture to have more difference from the mortar. For example, you can make the barrel black and add the yellow-black danger line (sorry, i don't know how it's called) at its edge, near the iron sight. I know that such suggestions will take the project further and further from release, so just keep the design as it is.
Actually, I was thinking about adding some caution stripes on the ammo box to help differentiate it from the mortar's ammo box more. Making the silver parts of the gun black and adding a yellow and black caution stripe only require some fairly easy texture changes.  I can give it a try and see how it comes out.   If it looks good I might go with it.  Slipgate - Cool

The Fireball Gun looks just okay. I prefer its combat stats more. Slipgate - Smile

The Fireball Gun is probably my favorite weapon, regardless of class. So satisfying! Sipgate - Evil

I kind of liken it to the M3 "grease gun" SMG:  It's not much to look at, but it just works..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2018-06-28, 03:52 »

Ok, here's a test of the reskinned weapon.  Compare it to the existing one.

Full size here.

diegomula

Light Guard

« Reply #5 on: 2018-06-28, 14:48 »

really amazing weapons, and very useful too.

the only thing i have to say, the dynamite should roll on the floor when touch the ground, i mean bouncing and jumping irregularly.

nice job!! keep working on it  Doom - Thumbs Up!
KAIL333XZ

Imp

I'm mechanical one!

« Reply #6 on: 2018-06-28, 21:53 »

Yeah! That is just what I've wanted!
You definately get the idea.
I like the Hellfire much more now! Thanks.  Slipgate - Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2018-06-29, 04:13 »

I have to agree.  I had to make a slight modification to the texture mapping on the first-person version of the gun to make the caution stripes visible, but there's absolutely no mistaking which weapon you're using now.  I had darkened the barrel a bit before, but the black was a great call.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I added the orange caution band to the ammo box, and it looks right at home.  I just need to do some wear-and-tear on it and it should be good to go.  I'll post an updated screenshot once it's final.   Doom - Thumbs Up!

@diegomula:  I didn't make the dynamite roll as I want the timer to always face upwards so players can see it - especially during testing.  Remember, this is just a demo video as well.  Tweaks can always be added later.
  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #8 on: 2018-06-29, 18:50 »

Dang, the Hellstorm got purdy...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2018-07-01, 04:32 »

New version uploaded to the gallery.  Note the change on the ammo box as well.  I think the caution tape helps tell it from the Mortar ammo box better under varying light conditions.

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #10 on: 2018-07-08, 02:09 »

I'm sensing a little bit of color based favoritism with that Fireball Gun
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2018-07-08, 07:10 »

When I did the colors on it I just used red and yellow to represent two different fuels and to distinguish the weapon and ammo from the orange tanks on the normal flamethrower.  There really was no overt narcissistic intent.  Subconscious narcissism?  Well, I won't deny it.  Slipgate - Love

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: