2024-03-28, 19:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CatacombGL - a source port for the Catacomb 3D games  (Read 4413 times)
Arno

Cacodemon

« on: 2020-01-16, 23:07 »

Hi everyone!  Slipgate - Smile

For the last few years I've been working on a hobby project, which may be of interest for fans of early Id Software games. I've named this project "CatacombGL", a source port for Catacomb 3D and its sequels Abyss, Armageddon and Apocalypse. Catacomb 3D was created by Id Software in 1991 for MS-DOS, and is a direct predecessor of Wolfenstein 3D.
The source port runs native on Windows and uses OpenGL to display the graphics in widescreen HD resolutions. Keyboard and mouse controls are configurable. It works with the Catacomb Abyss 1.13 shareware version. The Catacombs Pack from GOG.com is required to play the other games.

At this moment all four games are fully playable. I'm still releasing small updates occasionally, to fix bugs and to add small improvements. Progress can be followed via Twitter.

Download:
https://github.com/ArnoAnsems/CatacombGL/releases

Screenshots:

Catacomb 3D: The Descent

Catacomb Abyss
« Last Edit: 2020-01-16, 23:09 by Arno » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2020-01-17, 02:24 »

Awesome!  The Catacomb games are something I never got to play.  Will have to check into this sometime.  Stickied!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2020-01-21, 20:42 »

WOO! Now someone needs to port Shadowcaster, and Black Crypt.. mmmm yeeesssss...

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #3 on: 2020-01-23, 20:51 »

Thanks, Phoenix!  Slipgate - Smile

Angst, there used to be a source port in development for Shadowcaster, called WindowCaster. With the last update (october 2018), the levels could be viewed with nice graphics, using a hardware accelerated renderer. But there was no gameplay implemented yet, and I haven't seen much progress since then. I can imagine that it's a complicated task, since the Shadowcaster source code was never published.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-24, 20:24 »

Yeah, between Shadowcaster and Heretic 2. Sad pandas. I don't know that black crypt released source either.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: