2024-04-28, 16:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: new ranger skin for gen (new ranger skin)  (Read 30361 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2003-12-16, 04:44 »

And on that note, I've made another little something:

I figured not all of the soldiers would be refined as delicacies. After all, it's way too much fun to see terrified earthlings get slaughtered by their former friends. ;]

Based off of the recon skin - which i might have to redo texture/brightness/contrast-wise, since this is lots nicer..

Also, I'm very much in favor of adding a shitload of nice Generations skins to the paks - but preferrably skins made by Wirehead. That way we won't get lost in massive amounts of skins bearing no relation to the Generations world. Perhaps some skins that were very popular back in the days of the original games, reborn (scott's work for quake2, rorshach's work for quakeworld, that sort of stuff, or basically an ode to). I wouldn't mind seeing wolf's Blaze back in his prison garment, for example :]
« Last Edit: 2003-12-16, 04:49 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #21 on: 2003-12-16, 04:51 »

Woo! Okay, suggestions. I'm sure there are many more skins of good quality out there, but these are some of my personaly favorites, which I have kept over the years even after multiple pruning of my Quake 3 folder. They're fun to use and fun to look at, a combination made in Heaven Slipgate - Wink

Headless Hossman

King

T600

Apokalypz

Chain

Rampage

Torque

Dragon

Analeyes

Nakita

Angelique

Death-Ranger Previously mentioned, and for good reason Slipgate - Wink

Laerth

Terminator

Jade

Prototype 6

Necroscope

S3 My all-time favorite Quake III skin  Thumbs up!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2003-12-16, 13:24 »

cuffs

the stroggo bot from polycount (stroggo doesnt have a bot version)

DARK

T600

HO

apokalypz

argus

CHAIN

DEIMOS
how can you let phobos in and deimos out ??

STROGG_FEAK
we cant all survive a strogg war

T4000
you cant put t600 in and let T4000 out

Daemon_knight
its my favorite Slipgate - Wink

SELKK

SCHISM

angelique

cleaner

poke

mech-ranger
hes as good as death-ranger

death-ranger
(figures)

jade

reptilo

gratha

grimmtank

slumber

prototype6

necromage

necroscope

HERO

x
also a favorite of mine

darkheart

slayer

scorpian

thats my list .

but please, put in some bots with it for those guys , and for stroggo , yuriko , roderick ,zael flisk and the others .

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2003-12-16, 15:12 »

I'm really not very impressed by the stuff in the previous two posts. There are ofcourse exceptions: Torquemada is great - but what does warhammer 40k have to do with Generations? :]

A lot of the skins weren't made from scratch (bits of id skin) or are rather dull and pointless (chunky's rampage? I'm working on a rampage skin, but that will look like the original Quake2 rampage Slipgate - Wink)

Just repeating the main point in my previous post: If we're going to release a Generations skinpack, I strongly feel it should represent one or more of the generations (or the vadrigar's experiments on them Slipgate - Wink)
Anyone can download the above skins and install them to their liking - I just don't see what they have to do with us :]
« Last Edit: 2003-12-16, 15:16 by Tabun » Logged

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #24 on: 2003-12-16, 15:22 »

I'd support a skin pack, but I'd like to see in-house Wirehead ones instead of random scrapes off the net.
Most of those others don't move me at all.  I'd just have to go to default models then.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #25 on: 2003-12-16, 15:26 »

I tried to keep my suggestions in tune with each Generations. I mean, I didn't post the Tron skin or anything  Slipgate - Tongue

I do, however, agree with you Tabun. Original content would be much better, assuming you guys would be willing to devote the time and energy to it.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-12-16, 15:45 »

didnt lee make almost ALL of quake 2 male skins .
he even posted pictures of them .

but where are they .
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #27 on: 2003-12-17, 01:19 »

Quote from: Tabun
I'm really not very impressed by the stuff in the previous two posts. There are ofcourse exceptions: Torquemada is great - but what does warhammer 40k have to do with Generations? :]

A lot of the skins weren't made from scratch (bits of id skin) or are rather dull and pointless (chunky's rampage? I'm working on a rampage skin, but that will look like the original Quake2 rampage Slipgate - Wink)

Just repeating the main point in my previous post: If we're going to release a Generations skinpack, I strongly feel it should represent one or more of the generations (or the vadrigar's experiments on them Slipgate - Wink)
Anyone can download the above skins and install them to their liking - I just don't see what they have to do with us :]
you go tabon,
let me know if you need any help.
never done any skins,
the shapes are already done.
it would be weird drawing on the flattened out patterns.
P.S. I realy do look like my avatar.
 B)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2003-12-17, 02:28 »

And here's another preview:

http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/img/gena/...iew_rampage.jpg

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2003-12-17, 04:21 »

I am in agreement with Tabun here.  We have one of the best skinners around, so why not turn him loose?  Those look most excellent, Tab!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #30 on: 2003-12-17, 10:49 »

yea yea , nice skins

BUT WHERE THE HELL ARE LEE HIS SKINS
(I only have the q2major skin
can sombody contact him for me .

k , guys that fit in generations he .

that strogg-freak I said ,

mech-ranger and deah ranger

deimos

daemon knight
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2003-12-17, 12:22 »

Just to show my willingness to take a look and the fact that I really considered some of these skins as add-on options.. a quick review of 3 skins GamesKeeper mentioned in the previous post.

1 - Deimos

Ah yes, the name. A name worthy of a very cool skin indeed, if any. Phobos was kind of a bullshit skin in Quake3 if you ask me, but it looks very cool. Let's have a gander at this Deimos version then.

First thing you'll notice if you study the above picture: 60% is original Quake3 Doom skin. So what we're looking at is basically a glorified Doom-skin recolor. Wait, did I say glorified? That wasn't the word I was looking for ... :]
The bits that the author added are very sadly aliased, making it look as though they were splashed over in paint. Wheverever he/she's touched the skin, it has gone very dull indeed. It's basically a monochrome bitmap in those area's.
For a good example of detail-inconsistency, compare the grey holster with the pants they're stuck onto.
Sorry, but this one 'll never make it on my list of acceptable-skins. I might steal the name and do it a bit more justice later on though Slipgate - Tongue

2 - Daemon Knight

A nice concept, and not bad for a first skin, as the author states it is. It even has very few bits that weren't made from scratch, bravo :]
On to less jolly news: It may be a Daemon Knight to the author, but I don't really see why.. Looks more like a 'Daemon Cyborg Spawn' to me. The author has some skill, but that hasn't prevented him to fill up most of the skin with horizontal gradients (much like what people mostly used when skinning for Quake2 Slipgate - Smile), and an amazing amount of huge cut&paste rivets. Again, not bad, but still lacking in the colour department.
I wouldn't even add this one if it had anything to do with Generations at all.

Then there's, for example, the Strogg Freak. Although I personally don't like it, it would do for a Strogginized version of Grunt - The theme is right, the concept kicks arse ofcourse ;p. However, we HAVE a Stroggish-Grunt. Grunt now has a shitload of Lee's Quake2 remakes, and a handful of my own. I'd say he's done for a bit ;]

I could go on, but this 'll do, imo..

Anyway, there's very few Generations related skins out there, and very very few of those are worth looking at. Polycount was a nice idea, but it got clogged by shitty recolors, 'first timer' skins and tons of unimaginitive and bland bitmappage. I say we can outdo them easily - while keeping in style with the rest of the Generations artwork.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-17, 12:23 by Tabun » Logged

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #32 on: 2003-12-17, 18:52 »

can we do somekind of voting on the skins we want in and out ?
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 21:44 by games keeper » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2003-12-18, 23:00 »

Define "we".

I want original Generations-themed skins done by WHS. For the quality that they're capable of, not needing to ask permissions to use them and the skins being designed around Generations makes them better than most all other skins you could find on the 'net.

Skin away guys  Thumbs up!
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #34 on: 2003-12-18, 23:13 »

Quote from: Tekhead
I want original Generations-themed skins done by WHS. For the quality that they're capable of, not needing to ask permissions to use them and the skins being designed around Generations makes them better than most all other skins you could find on the 'net.

Thumbs up!  Thumbs up!  Thumbs up!
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #35 on: 2003-12-18, 23:57 »

I agree, there are a number of talented skinners both in and associated with Wirehead Studios. I'd prefer a Wirehead skinpack to any group of skins cobbled together by other artists.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2003-12-19, 02:15 »

I agree too i want the skins to be made by WHS
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #37 on: 2003-12-19, 11:31 »

lets give TAB our wishlist then .

1) a deimos skin would be cool (we have already a phobos )

2)some new ranger skins that fit into the team

3)maybe a remake of the doom/phoenix skins ( I know the author I gues , but I dont know where you can find him )
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/...unleashed.shtml

4) maybe somekind of colorskins like ranger has for generations right now , but then for ALL the basic q3 models .
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2003-12-19, 11:51 »

Quote from: games keeper
3)maybe a remake of the doom/phoenix skins ( I know the author I gues , but I dont know where you can find him )
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/...unleashed.shtml
Phoenix did that entire model pack. It's what got him the job as modeler for Generations.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2003-12-19, 13:58 »

At the moment, I'm planning to do these skins next:

- A nazi skin for earth - Possibly fat and possibly insane nazi pig (biker)
- Another nazi skin for earth - Think about the RtCW nazi leather bitches, and picture mynx among those
- A deathknight for slipgate - Or any other kind of daemonic/zombie knight in Q1 style that keel will allow

What happens next I'll have to see by then..

- The Deimos skin is optional, provided something original comes to mind - just ANOTHER color variation of Doom would be a waste - If anyone has any good ideas, just let me know.
- Same goes for Ranger skins really - It's just slippy.. - I might make a daemonic slipgater version though - somewhat like the deathknight, perhaps
- And ofcourse, indeed, maybe a Phoenix skin, just as an ode to the bird :]
(on that note, I might make every hardcore WireHead team member his own skin, just let me know what you think of that, and whether or not you'd like one Slipgate - Smile)
« Last Edit: 2003-12-19, 14:00 by Tabun » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: