2024-03-28, 15:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The sniper rifle (the arc.......)  (Read 17236 times)
pepe

Shambler

« on: 2003-02-02, 13:08 »

Im not really sure what i feel about the sniper rifle
its a cool weapon and all but i feel that its really a bugger to aim propperly
may as it be that i lack practice

the arc is imho to.. high or whatever i feel that since the projectile is impossible to see its really hard to tell where you actually are hitting with  that damn thing

does anybody have a good tip for the sniper rifle? any tricks of the trade?
i had a hard time remebering shooting rules irl aswell so maybe thats the problem right there

i just dont know with leading online both on the x and y axis its really hard to take a shot
and the gamepace in gen makes it near impossible

am i just a crybaby that should practice more as practice makes perfect or are there more that dont find the sniper rifle that usefull a weapon as the railguns
IEEE1394

Pinky

« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-02, 16:41 »

I think its a little too hard to hit with the sniperrifle, but i guess its just me being crappy with sniper weapons.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-02-02, 16:49 »

on vesperas aim for the head and ou will hit him in the stomach ot legs .
on terrain maps shoot above the player and you will hit its feet.
actually you can see the sniper as a grenadelauncher from other games like in Dforce and sof2 .
also try to aim that little bit infront of the player like your playing online.
 and calculate wher the player is gona be . and its gonna be a full hit . Slipgate - Smile
as much as I hate snipers I love the  earth sniper .
1 shot 1 kill .
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2003-02-02, 21:34 »

The arc is over done, no doubt about it (I estimate the bullet to have the mass of a minivan to fall that quickly), but if it were accurate to real life, you would hardly see the bullet fall at all, even on the longest of maps.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #4 on: 2003-02-02, 21:44 »

Hmmm, minivan guns... Sounds like a weapon out of Worms Slipgate - Tongue
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #5 on: 2003-02-02, 22:11 »

sheep launcher owns you, and no not because im welsh you freaks Slipgate - Smile
sheep + crash helmet = teh funneh
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-02-02, 23:47 »

Well the arc might be a tadd to "high" could straighten it out a bit but as with everything you can "learn" howto lead the shot, just fire up dm17 and try to hit those stopid bots Slipgate - Smile
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2003-02-03, 00:13 »

oobey: probably since that rifle has an effective range of 2000m wich would be unpractical in gen for several reasons Slipgate - Smile

but does anybody know if the bullet goes up and then drop or if it travels straight and then drops?

pho? can you answer this?

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2003-02-03, 05:49 »

My God... who was that guy's name? ARRRRG.... Xy-something. He kicked my ass all over dm17 with the sniper rifle. I GOT BEAT THE F*CK DOWN... man, he was just friggin awesome with that gun, lol. I think it's a cool gun tho... I can hit with hit for some odd reason. A lot more accurate than with railguns, and don't ask why. I have no idea.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
DeAtH_HaVeN

« Reply #9 on: 2003-02-03, 07:02 »

I never really could get the hamg of worms i always got beat i was good with the heat seeking missile though Slipgate - Tongue
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-02-03, 07:12 »

We put the drop on the sniper rifle for several reasons.

A) We didn't want it to just be a trail-less railgun. It needed SOMETHING to differentiate it from the railguns.

B) It needed some counter to its outrageous damage. True, it's hard to hit with, but how many people survive the first shot?

I personally love the rifle. I learned how to rail with a 400 ping, and even though I have been a LPB for a long time now, I have a hard time aiming the railgun at low pings. The delay on the rifle just feels more RIGHT to me. I hit FAR more often with the rifle than I do with a railgun.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2003-02-03, 09:10 »

I'm much better with the railgun, but I rarely snipe. More than often I'm running about using the railgun in the same fashion most use the rocket launcher. What appeals to me about the sniper rifle though is the ricochet effect. Not a lot of things are better than popping some jerk around a corner Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-02-03, 10:39 »

The rifle bullet is much slower than a real .50 caliber bullet flies.  A .50 BMG FMJ round flies at over 4000 feet per second.  For all intents and purposes might as well make it a railgun at that speed.  Slowing it down to something more sane makes the gun more challenging to use.  The bullet shoots straight, but falls with gravity, same as the mortar shell, except that the bullet flies much faster than the mortar of course.  Basically if you're close, aim dead on.  If you have to zoom, aim for his head, watch his movement, and aim slightly ahead of your target.  If it's a terrain map you're going to have to be very good with the rifle and hope the guy is moving in a straight line, or standing rock still.   It's deliberately a bit harder to peg someone with it since it does 150 damage, can ricochet, and refires faster than a rail.  Personally I have very little trouble hitting people with the rifle most of the time.  I hit with the rifle where I'd miss with the rail.  I'm used to 400 ping, and the added time it takes for the bullet to connect the dots helps I suppose.

Now in real life bullet trajectories aren't as simple as just a straight gravity fall.  Air resistance slows down the bullet over it's flight path, and wind can knock it around.  Some guns shoot in a pretty reliable arc, others shoot VERY flat out to a certain range then drop like a brick.  Most are somewhere inbetween.  Ballistics is a very fun science, there are so many variables to play with. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-02-03, 21:35 »

I learned how to rail with a 400 ping

I once played opposing force ctf (not as many cheaters as Cs.)
and I had a 200 ping.
there was a guy grappling = almost same speed as running in quake 3 .
I aimed 2 meters in front of the guy and it was a full hit .

now thats prediction

by the way  since when do you have cable.

also the only thing you could change about the sniper is letting it swalk like in RTCW so that its harder to aim with it and then leave thebulletfalling  and split second delay out of it.
(I rule with rtcw sniper , specially on beach even with 300mhz pc and 8 fps)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2003-02-03, 21:41 »

ah, brag time eh!
I once played this 1v1 q2 game, with my very very very crappy dutch kabelfoon connection - which i, thankfully, don't have anymore. I pinged in about 1200, with a nice bit o packet loss, but managed to, not only WIN, but land 75% of my rail shots dead on, long distance on the edge. And it wasn't a total stand-still newbie either ;]
Now THAT's prediction Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-02-03, 21:42 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-02-04, 18:30 »

I learned prediction in sin .
I never even liked the sniper there .
to slow to take and to slow to take another weapon .
(the weapon has to build and itself and pack itself in )
so I prefered the rockets and the grenades .
next I prefered pulses .

anyway prediction players will always rule (overal)

above players who play with nice ping
because when the player with ow ping gets a high oing hes toast .
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #16 on: 2003-02-04, 21:00 »

Speaking of which, doesn't the railgun itself have a distance limit before the slug simply disapears?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #17 on: 2003-02-04, 21:43 »

Quote from: dev/null
Speaking of which, doesn't the railgun itself have a distance limit before the slug simply disapears?
I think so.  In that one Team Arena map, Overdose isn't it GK? (I know he'll know which one it is even if I got it wrong Slipgate - Smile ), where they have the two towers with RG, you can't rail the opposing camper.

O/T - which map is the winter one?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-02-04, 22:58 »

yep I know
hmmm overdose .
hmmmm distant screams
(dont like mpterra3)
hmmmm kineterra1
hmmm TAhuge (hell this map is big and open (try it)

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2003-02-12, 02:49 »

It's deffintitely not a problem that the SR shoots slower than the real thing. Does ANY weapon in Quake act like the real thing? No magazines, rockets load automatically, grenade launchers fire impact hand grenades instead of 40mm explosives...etc. IIRC the Gen MP40 doesn't look all that much like the real MP40 either. Not a problem. Whatever you have to do to balance it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: