2024-04-24, 07:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom Levels.. (Classic Doom Levels?)  (Read 26464 times)
ak47

« on: 2003-12-17, 17:00 »

B)  Just a thought and pardon me if I am going over old ground (new to this forum)
Been playing a spot of JDoom over the last couple of days and it occured to me that the MD2 models, while being quite nice, obviously pale in comparison the the Q3A engine.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could play through Doom Episode 1 in the Q3A engine? Slipgate - Smile

go on.. somebody tell me where the map packs are... Slipgate - Laugh
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-17, 17:43 »

This is why I am waiting for resurgence.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-17, 18:34 »

Yeah we're all waiting for resurgence *pokes designers with a stick repeatedly*

No one has made a complete episode one conversion, maps here and there but nothing wholly. So if you want all of Episode one you'll have to download GTK Radient and start working, or wait for mappers to do it. Also you wouldn't want to play most of those levels in DM, which is why they haven't been made, if/when resurgence comes out I'm sure I can find the time to make a few of them, but currently there is really no point.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-17, 19:14 »

The more quality mappers, the merrier Slipgate - Laugh
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-17, 19:52 »

Here's a question about an Ep 1 remake then:
Will Gen be able to support exiting a map and entering the next map with the same stats?  (health, ammo, etc) for the whole experience?  Or is that not going to be an aim for Resurgence?
I can't imagine that the Q3 engine would be able to handle having all 9 maps strung together for a seemless map. ( I think there were 9 in EP 1).
It would be cool do be able to CO-OP Doom on the net with Generations.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-17, 20:07 »

Why don't we make it one big map, instead of breaking it down into different levels?

We probably could Slipgate - Smile
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-17, 20:46 »

Resurgence can exit maps, and enter new maps, as for keeping items and such, that wouldn't be too hard. I'm waiting on source from phoenix to start working on it again.

waiting

waiting

waiting

Mappers would really help out about now. I'd like to redo doom ep1 or even a few maps from it.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-17, 20:52 »

Quote from: Tekhead
The more quality mappers, the merrier Slipgate - Laugh
What about those unqualified mappers? We have feelings too, you know!  Slipgate - Tongue

Quote from: [WaRdeN
] Resurgence can exit maps, and enter new maps

Really? It would seem as though something like that could be implemented. I was thinking along the lines of how the map rotation on servers work though *shrugs*
« Last Edit: 2003-12-17, 20:57 by dev/null » Logged
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-17, 20:59 »

Resurgence doesn't work that way, although it could operate like normal q3, timelimit i guess.

But there is a map entity that contains a map and issues a command to the server to load that map once triggered. That way mappers can create a series of maps, and players can play them all in a row.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-17, 21:17 »

] Resurgence can exit maps, and enter new maps, as for keeping items and such, that wouldn't be too hard. I'm waiting on source from phoenix to start working on it again.

waiting

waiting

waiting

Mappers would really help out about now. I'd like to redo doom ep1 or even a few maps from it.
Thanks for the answer.  
I would really like the idea to be able to play  a resurgence map pack like Episode 1, just like it would have been playing the original game.  I'd like that way more than something like Save the Universe mode.
The big question is:  if a player exited the map, would he have to wait for the other players to exit before he went to the next map?  Or would it end the map for everybody?  Or could he go on ahead? Slipgate - Laugh
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-17, 22:31 »

I for one would like 2 SP modes, one as a classic one monster per entity, and defined ammo and defined guns, and another save the universe type mode where your ammo and health regenerate slowly (you still have to find guns), meanwhile a monster spawns from the particular monster entity every 5 seconds. So you can use the maps for both normal SP or Save the Universe.

Just an Idea Slipgate - Grin

If you need a SP map remade for testing purposes, just ask
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-17, 22:52 »

That's a good suggestion.
Different modes for different moods.
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-17, 23:23 »

When 1 person triggers the end of the map, all persons go to the next map.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-18, 00:37 »

]I'm waiting on source from phoenix to start working on it again.

waiting

waiting

waiting
I can give you the current source, but a lot of it is going to get restructured again, which would probably interfere with Resurgence, or vice-versa.  Please check the private board as well, we have something in mind that, if pans out, you might be interested in knowing about that could aid Resurgence at a later time..

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-18, 00:50 »

I'd be up for a all in one map with portals between levels.
that way you could make it trigger for co op mode and all the load
time would be up front.
and for dm you just have the portals open.
i still have all of the dooms here i think.
never loaded them on xp though.
might not run any more.
 B)
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-18, 01:40 »

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Try that, with the texture packs, it looks amazing
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-18, 02:36 »

here's something to give the project a kick start.
doom wad 2 q3 map converter.
 B)

Edit by ConfusedUs: Mechanical conversions, such as those provided by the above attatchment are illegal. The attatchment was removed. If you wish to participate in the illegal conversion of id software's intellectual property, please do it in private.

--Thanks
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 02:41 by ConfusedUs » Logged
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #17 on: 2003-12-18, 02:47 »

all it converts is geometry and puts q3 items in there place.
you still have to do all the textures,doors and lifts ect.
the map layouts were already published in survival guides.
how is that illegal?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-12-18, 02:54 »

You're exactly duplicating the geometry of a game owned 100% by the company that made it.

How is that NOT illegal? It is things EXACTLY such as this that got Generations for Quake2 foxxed. It is illegal, and will not be tolerated on the forums. What you do in private is your own business. What you do on here is mine.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2003-12-18, 03:34 »

How can it be considered a conversion when it goes from 2.5D to 3D??

I find its much easier just to use a box with the map of the level as a texture and trace. Plus I doubt any mechanical conversion will copy the scale exactly (in proportion to the Quake 3 engine, since the player model is bigger), or make the map efficient in the quake 3 engine
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 03:39 by Devlar » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: