2024-03-28, 19:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen CTF 1 (=D)  (Read 10372 times)
Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« on: 2004-01-14, 15:35 »

Hey guys! Workin' on a map i've been trying to finish for about 3 years now, finally broke down and went to teh GTK side and made it...
So now I need testing!

http://xypher.mine.nu/files/maps/q3gxyctf1.pk3 <-- There ya be.

Get a hold of me in IRC if you want to get a few people together and play with meh, would be much appreciated. Slipgate - Smile

Thanks
~Xypher

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-14, 16:51 »

The link doesn't seem to be working properly...  I clicked on it, and it displayed the contents of the file in a browser window.

EDIT:  OK, I tried a different browser, and it worked.  Strange...
« Last Edit: 2004-01-14, 16:53 by BiGRoB85 » Logged

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-14, 20:44 »

cool xypher! downloading it rite now,,
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-15, 03:19 »

Took a look at it.  I can think of a few areas of concern for playability.

First, the windows in each base are easy to jump out of.  This creates a direct run from the flag across the map.  I'd recommend a playerclip on those to keep people from jumping out.  I realize you can still run from one base to the other through the bottom doors, but you'll at least have to fight back out the door or take the side route.

The railguns are a bit overpowering on a map this small.  People are going to run out the door, grab a rail, run back, and snipe the flag rooms.  Maybe replace those with plasmaguns instead.

The plasmagun down in the drink seems kind of useless there.  I'd move it to the railgun spawns per above.

I noticed both avenues have a personal teleporter.  Do you really want two LSOV's showing up on the map?

Having megahealth AND red armor easily accessible from the same area of the map is a no-no.  The bouncepads from the main area up to the bridge make it very easy to get the mega.  With the ease of flagrunning from one base to the other, combined with these, the side avenues will almost never get used.  I'd take those bouncepads out, replace the mega with a gold health globe or regeneration powerup and replace the red armor with a yellow and leave that the only yellow armor on the map.  You shouldn't be able to easily tank up on a small map like this.  A regen powerup will make people want to take the top bridge once in a while.  Leaving the side alleys the only bridge access without risking a rocket jump will encourage their use if a powerup is up there.

Maybe taking the rocket launchers out of the base, Keep a yellow armor in each base, and putting a single rocket launcher in place of the central armor could be a thought too.  That makes you exposed right in the middle of the map if you want to get one.  Flag defenders will have to rely less on rocket spam and if an attacker wants the rocket launcher they're going to have to take some risk to get one.

Those are my criticisms anyway.  The general layout is good, and other than the rails it's not overly weapon heavy.  It looks like it could be a fun 3 on 3 CTF map.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-09, 18:40 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Xypher

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-15, 16:27 »

Just a couple things:
I left the windows wide enough to get through on purpose, maybe i will change it to a smaller crawl-window a lip to stand on on the inside of the base...

Keep in mind the map /is/ for gen, and it plays fast as it is, I didnt put the rail IN the base, so someoen would have to expose themself to get to it. I couldn't figure out where to put the red armor + megahealth exactly, so i just tossed em in somewhere that looked decent.

The two View portals in the special areas are the whole reason they're in there. Aside from the bfg...what would the little soldiers stand next to?? Slipgate - Wink

I'd like to get a live test and then stress-test for the map going some time, 3v3 like pho suggested, and a 6v6, and 12v12 if we can find the people Slipgate - Smile a 32 player game would be neat too

Thanks for your inputs!

Sliders

Devlar

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-13, 02:00 »

Deleted Double Post
« Last Edit: 2004-02-13, 02:07 by Devlar » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-13, 02:06 »

Unaligned Texture, or wrong texture used, one of the two
Oh and trim your steps they will look better
Also you supersaturated the color red in the red base, something a little softer might be better

Other than that it plays quite spiffy, i'm not entirely sure how a tiny CTF map should play though so I might be a bad judge
Xypher

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-26, 08:49 »

Thanks devlar, but i'm not sure what you mean by trim the stairs...
a few of the textures are just placeholders until i can find something that matches up...
And unfortunately i have to hunt through the maps i have to find the proper textures for the walls and a couple floors...

I'm not so great with lighting, and since red tends to brighten up better than blue...i just need to find a lower magnitude light texture...

As for the size of the map, if anyone would like to /add/ to my map, that would be neat too, i'm out of ideas for hallways and such, flagrooms, etc...extending the flagrooms or making team courtyards would be neat I guess, but i can't think of how to do them...

Sliders

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-26, 23:04 »

think what devlar means is that u should put a second texture on the stairs or breake up the brushes in two and texture those diffrent..or do something completly else Slipgate - Smile

btw finding the right kind of texture is a pain....

Well i could help you out creating some more rooms and hallways if you really want.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-27, 07:55 »

The latest round of CTF games also brings to mind a word of caution on any CTF maps with the flags in clean view each other.  We have one CTF map that's very small where you can just hook from one flag to the other and back.  The flags are about 20 feet apart.  Anyone designing CTF maps should consider how they'll play with and without hook enabled, and if hook is going to make it TOO easy to get the flag.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-27, 07:55 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Llurk

Dopefish

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-28, 23:43 »

Xypher gave me the map for a bit and I messed aroudn w/ it.

major changes:
     1)  water way widened
     2)  room w/ personal tele changed dramatically
     3)  door to court opened up from 2
     4)  changed flagroom a little

I'll see how Xypher likes it.

Xypher

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #11 on: 2010-08-09, 16:49 »

I revisit this map once in a while, and since I've downloaded gen again I've looked at it again. Just as an update the changes that Llurk made ended up being quite awesome. I've since lost contact with him but added more detail to the map as well. I'll take a peek at it on my lunch today.

Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Sliders

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: