2024-04-28, 23:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Class name on scoreboard (Requesting a feature...)  (Read 7902 times)
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-01-26, 15:09 »

If at all possible Phoenix, could you implement a system where the player's class name or the player being spectated's class name is shown on the scoreboard?  It doesn't even have to be a name either.  It just could be a small icon even.

The reason why I'm requesting this feature is because I enjoy taking screenshots at the end of each round.  Knowing which class I was playing as, helps me better improve my game and find out which maps I need to practice on more often. Slipgate - Wink  As a spectator, It would also help me identify who is best with what class on what map and why I should stay the hell away from them. Slipgate - Smile

I hate to make your work-load bigger, but I'd absolutely love this feature if you could do it.

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-26, 16:08 »

It really wouldn't be too useful if you or your opponents spent the round as random class.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-26, 16:40 »

I've been requesting this feature for a while, Kain Slipgate - Smile

I think that there is something in the works for it, last I recall.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-26, 16:55 »

If you seek to improve and learn from your faults and all that, you're better of recording demos, and analyzing your game. It may be possible to spot where you were losing/had bad luck, by judging a scoreboard, but you can never detect what you're doing wrong that way? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-26, 19:12 »

I see alot of people playing as random, so I don't think it'd be worth the trouble of adding...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-26, 19:17 »

I think he was requesting that it show which class the players currently are.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-01-26, 19:51 »

In any situation, it's good to know what you're up against. Not just what person's on the server, but what class that person is. Even if someone's playing random, there is a broadcasted message of what class they're changing to. For example, knowing how many slipgaters there are in a server will let you know where to pick up the most action and the most potential frags - near the RL or the RA. Doomers will tend to float around the megahealth.

I don't think this should be available in CTF/TDM, at least not for viewing the oppposing team's classes. I say this because if you know what the enemy's classes are, you can start to predict what their defensive structure is like before stepping into their base. However, I'd love to know who's what on my team before charging into enemy territory - if there's enough Earth guys on defense or how much middle-ground support I can get by Strogg or Arena on my way back with the flag.

I don't see any downfalls of implementing this feature into the scoreboard, just positive notes. How about the rest of you guys?
« Last Edit: 2004-01-26, 19:52 by Tekhead » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-26, 20:06 »

Oh, there's no negative aspects to it; I just don't think it will work for Kain like he wants it to.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-01-26, 20:48 »

Last I heard, pho was thinking about sticking the icon next to the attacker's head in order to clear up the confusion about taking a bfg to the face from a Sarge headed DOOMer Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2004-01-26, 21:24 »

In the HUD?  Yeah, that's be nice.  Though I wish the heads would have been restricted to class in the first place to avoid that problem before it began.
Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2004-01-26, 22:36 »

Perhaps an Icon overlay for random class. It draws their current class pic with a big red question mark over it. =)
I totally agree on the class hud thing, its nice to see who was playing with what

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-01-26, 23:00 »

I do apologize for being rather curt in my explaination.  I had just awoken from having only 3 hours sleep.  I still haven't caught up on my sleep, but I'm wired now so I think my thoughts should come a little clearer to me. Slipgate - Tongue

Tekhead:
While I was only requesting for the class name to be displayed reflecting the individual playing or being spectated, the examples you have provided are excellent reasons that I'm all for if it's possible and if it's not a hassle to implement.

Tabun:
I completely agree that recording demos and reviewing them is the best way to see your strengths and weaknesses.  However, I still think it would be helpful to be able to see what class I was currently playing as at the end of the game.  I tend to play as only one class per map.  Having screenshots of the scoreboard and knowing which class I was will give me a good idea of which class I'm strongest/weakest in without having to review several demos.   Plus I'm a dork and statistical stuff about me boosts my ego. Slipgate - Grin

Xypher:
Good idea on the random class icon.  Thumbs up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-01-27, 15:01 »

lol, gotcha on the ego stuff Slipgate - Smile
Stats like: played 80% of the time as Random, 20% of the time as Strogg, boost my ego aswell ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2004-01-27, 17:33 »

The class icon showing has been planned but it's been one of those "time" things.  We also still have to fix the "zero frags bug" that shows up when you change classes.  The scoreboards need a bit of reworking anyway as the current team scoreboards can only show five players each.  I'm planning on changing that to a side-by-side layout in the future so each team will have its own column.  That way if you have more than 5 players per team you won't lose the extras.  I'd also like to show spectators at the bottom with their names greyed so you can know who else is watching.

I like the idea of showing class only for fellow team members on the scoreboard during team play.  Granted, you'll end up knowing who's who on the other team during play, but that's up to the player to keep their wits about them.

Headmodels are always a touchy area.  Some people love them, some people hate them.  I don't really like Q3's headmodel changing much at all, but I know a lot of people will squawk if they can't do that.  An easy fix would be to print the class name under the attacking player's head.  A more complex option would be a client cvar to force headmodels to the player's actual model, effectively disabling headmodel on the client.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
MrMaddog

« Reply #14 on: 2004-02-05, 04:19 »

To be honest, I like to see something like this at least for the team scoreboard.  That way it makes it easier to know which orders to give to the bots when playing CTF/TDM.

As for with players online, well...they'll do whatever they wanna do anyway Slipgate - Smile

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: