2024-04-20, 13:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UT2004: Who has it?  (Read 16879 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-03-20, 23:56 »

I picked up UT2004 the other night, and it's freaking awesome.

Onslaught is sweet, Assault is better than ever, and the CTF maps are beautiful.

Anyone up for a game some time?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-21, 00:22 »

give us some more info con , maybe I will buy it within 2 weeks after the exams .

but first , tell us how the leviathan feels , and other vehicles ,and dont forget to tell us some more about the new models , the skaarj , and the xan play like .

are there any namis in the game , or warcows ?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-21, 01:37 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
I picked up UT2004 the other night, and it's freaking awesome.

Onslaught is sweet, Assault is better than ever, and the CTF maps are beautiful.

Anyone up for a game some time?
I'd love to play you, but I still need to clear out more HD space heh.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-21, 02:42 »

GK: The leviathan is sweet, and a blast to use. Just pray the person driving doesn't SUCK at it.

If used properly, it's completely devastating. If not...it's just a really really big target.

I dunno what Namis or Warcows are. The Skaarj models are suberb though.

Kain: I had to delete/uninstall both serious sams, diabloII, freelancer, and morrowind to make room. I also had to remove the Farcry and UT2004 demos (duh on the UT2004 demo).
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-21, 03:23 »

Sadly the war cows do not make an appearance, nor do the Nali (I?m sure someone in the community will create them sooner or later though). The Skaarj are certainly better than ever, if not a bit limited in selection. The Assault maps, while all quite impressive, are also quite limited in quantity, though each varies dramatically from the previous. I purchased the game Thursday, after having a copy reserved for me since Monday, heh. It is easily one of the best first person shooters ever. Odd, as I was only fairly fond of the original. If nothing else, it's the first game to make vehicular combat enjoyable Thumbs up!
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-21, 04:45 »

Awesome game - really all I've been playing since the demo came out (sorry Wirehead!)
How they handled the vehicles wasn't quite as elegant as Halo, but lots more variety.
Onslaught especially seems enjoyable.  I'm up for a game anytime.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-21, 05:57 »

Quote from: dna
How they handled the vehicles wasn't quite as elegant as Halo, but lots more variety.
Halo = Dog feces
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-03-21, 06:17 »

The controls are different than Halo's simply because most of the vehicles have turrets that operate indepenently from the steering. The Goliath (tank), Leviathan (big-ass kill everything tank), and Scorpion (dune-buggy) all have indepenent firing systems. Halo's steering simply would not work.

I like the vehicle handling. I'm to the point now where I can zoom with the tank, shoot at fast-moving targets, and steer all at the same time.

Fear my tank, although the scorpion is really growing on me. Mantas (one-person hovercraft) just own too.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #8 on: 2004-03-21, 06:19 »

I had an Eagle Eye award within seconds of my first Goliath experience in the demo. I was so thrilled, and went on to brag about it to my brother who was watching, only to find out later that I had auto aim on :lol:
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-03-21, 08:26 »

Wot, no warcow? No Nekris? No ripper?
These where the best bits of the original UT (which was one of the 2 games I ever played constantly, having good bot support for DM.

I'll wait till hollidays in 2 weeks before i get it.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-03-21, 08:29 »

I don't miss the ripper. The spider mines are more fun. Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-03-21, 10:23 »

It will be a while before I can pick up a copy.

They took the ripper out?  That sucks.  That was one of my favorite weapons in UT.  I guess large open vehicle-type maps wouldn't work too well with it though.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-03-21, 13:24 »

aargh ,con
the shame you dont know warcow , nali or necris models , they where just so fine.
( warcow is like the ORBB of UT only with lesser anoying suonds )

did you know you can attack grenades to spidermines  Thumbs up!
or even better , if FF is off , mine a teammate of you nd let him run into enemy base  Sipgate - Evil

the best way to take out a powernode is to shoot with the scorpion at it , because its faster then to move a tank , and that green stuff does a lot of damage .

shambler , wait for chaos ut2k4 wich will make up for it since it also has a ripper .

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2004-03-21, 16:24 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
The controls are different than Halo's simply because most of the vehicles have turrets that operate indepenently from the steering. The Goliath (tank), Leviathan (big-ass kill everything tank), and Scorpion (dune-buggy) all have indepenent firing systems. Halo's steering simply would not work.

I like the vehicle handling. I'm to the point now where I can zoom with the tank, shoot at fast-moving targets, and steer all at the same time.

Fear my tank, although the scorpion is really growing on me. Mantas (one-person hovercraft) just own too.
True enough; I'm just saying they aren't as much fun to drive around as the vehicles in Halo.  I guess I miss the cookies that you could do in Halo (without the handbrake.)  Different strokes...
That being said, I will be the first one to hop into a Goliath.  Haven't gotten the hang of the Raptor yet.  And Leviathen is growing on me as well.  The endless supply of semi-smart missiles is an awesome sight to behold.  You just need to have enough people on the server to defend yourself when you switch to big gun mode.  Really, all the vehicles with multiples stations really perform when you have a full crew - you can see the difference when you run out without a gunner to back your six.
I did decide that UT2K4 isn't much of a flight sim though  Slipgate - Asleep  That was one part I could have done without.

Has anybody figured out the extra voice commands that weren't listed yet?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2004-03-21, 18:35 »

I just installed it last night and thanks to the bonus dvd i made really good progress learning UT mapping. The unread is nice but very hard to use. it makes radiant look like a fisher price toy.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #15 on: 2004-03-21, 20:38 »

I don't have it, don't plan to get it, don't want it.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-03-21, 20:47 »

Quote from: games keeper
shambler , wait for chaos ut2k4 wich will make up for it since it also has a ripper .
I have weakened and bought both ut2004 and battlefield Vn
 from amazon. I lack any kind of will power.

This could be worse, but my excuse is that I hardly spend any money on anything else, and need treats to allow me to do my job without loseing my sanity. when you are surounded by mad children all day, You can easily become one of the mad. It may have already happened and I have not noticed! Slipgate - Tongue

Reason I got BF Vn was to play against my 'brother in law' sid the graffe who posted about 5 times and was not seen again. He has a stutter, and will NEVER get on teamspeak.
I need Necris in UT the girls' legs looked soooo sexy!
« Last Edit: 2004-03-21, 20:48 by shambler » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2004-03-21, 21:11 »

For those true 'deciples of quake 3' * Heres a picture of the nekris's legs, and a Nali warcow. I will miss them both. (cow and legs, not just both legs)

* a quote from penny arcade
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #18 on: 2004-03-21, 23:02 »

Yes, the absence of the Ripper is indeed sad, but CliffyB has stated that it will return... As vague as his comment was as to when and where, it still instills hope Slipgate - Wink
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2004-03-21, 23:20 »

I have a mod that brings it into ut2003. this might work with 2004. let me know if you want it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: