2024-04-19, 03:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: KOTOR  (Read 6581 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-04-14, 06:23 »

So I just started Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic the other night.

Damn it's good. I'm usually not a fan of RPGs (theres about three I enjoyed, and this is one of them), but this is just FUN.

Choosing between lightside and dark side is really damn entertaining, and has a profound effect on the game world. My only gripe is that choices seem to fall into extremes at times. You can either give someone a lot of cash to survive, or kill them. There's often no middle ground.

I'm currently playing through as a good guy. The game is fun, but it'd be so much better if I could just start killing the whiney people begging for my help. Slipgate - Wink One person on your team in particular deserves this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't wait for my dark side run so I can do all the evil things I haven't been able to do so far.

And according to Oobey, the story is competely different as dark side, with the options to betray/kill/destroy the people you helped in the light-side campaign. You essentially get two games in one.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-14, 06:35 by ConfusedUs » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-15, 14:54 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Damn it's good. I'm usually not a fan of RPGs (theres about three I enjoyed, and this is one of them), but this is just FUN.
What are the other two?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-15, 15:38 »

Final Fantasy X and Zelda: Link's Awakening (for game boy).

And yes, I know that Zeld is more of an adventure game than an RPG.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-15, 15:48 »

Not to sound  like a fan boy or anything, but I have to say FF7 was the best RPG I've played, though I'll always have a special place in my heart for Legend of Vay.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-15, 15:55 »

Isn't that the one where
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-15, 16:33 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Isn't that the one where
You and your
« Last Edit: 2004-04-15, 16:34 by dna » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-15, 17:35 »

Eh, Final Fantasy. I could never enjoy a series where none of the installments have any relation to the other, except in special cases where there are idiotic titles involved like X-2. I don't know, I have always found Final Fantasy to be kind of, eh, "girly games", for lack of a better all encompassing term. Chrono Trigger was nice though.

Really though, I can't say I'm a devout RPG fan, as so many seem to be poorly executed. But when I find a good one, I love it. Actually, I was enjoying Morrowind last month until it decided it didn't want to run on my computer anymore, hehe. Diablo II is still on my machine, and I play it on occasion (As well as Hellfire, which I have on my laptop). Lately though, I've actually been debating whether or not to install Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption and have another run through it.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-16, 06:27 »

I just got the best new party member ever.

I love this game.
Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-16, 06:38 »

lol you spoilered something just about everyone already knows, ahahhahahhaa!!!!!!oneoneoneoneoneone Slipgate - Wink

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-16, 06:42 »

I hear that at the end of Romeo and Juliet,
. Shhhhhh.

But anyway, hell yeah I told you this game rules, Con.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 06:42 by OoBeY » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-16, 06:49 »

I didn't know he was an
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-29, 05:33 »

I just got past
, and all I have to say is

HOLY SHIT

I didn't see that coming. At all.

Man, if the Star Wars movies had the same kind of plot this game did, I'd be in heaven.
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #12 on: 2004-05-10, 01:52 »

HK-47 has been mentioned by Bioware several times as being most players' favorite character.

Incidentally, he was designed as the straight man (in theatrical terms) -- an anti-C3-P0 with no humor.  But the writer for KOTOR had just finished writing a ton of serious dialogue, and decided to put a twist to HK-47's mission and purpose.

Playtesters loved it, as has most everyone since.

As for the others...

Georg Zoeller - Designer - Bioware

[...] - A lot of (male) players didn't like (mildly put) Bastila and my impression is that this partly is because she is portrayed a dominating and strong character. While that's a nice trait for evil NPCs (Viconia), it doesn't work out for a "good guy". Why? *I* think because that part of the (male) audience wants to play the shiny (or evil) hero who is in control of his world, Bastila doesn't fit there too well.

- and there is Carth. He's a big hit with the girls (as is Valen) - (Shayna can certainly shed some light here), while most male gamers complain about him being "whiny", "talking to much" and "weak". Coincidence? I don't think so (as Dave wrote them as main female romance interest).

Personally, Carth resounded with me as being a very well-written character.  I found myself accepting him, his personal flaws, and the way he choses to view and go through life, just as I do towards other people in real life.  He was very non-two-dimensional, and well voiced as well.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-10, 01:54 by LeeMon » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2004-05-10, 02:10 »

You didn't see that coming Con? Strikes me as odd.. that whole plot twist was exactly what I was waiting for from the start. It came later than I'd expected Slipgate - Smile

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-05-10, 20:03 »

I was fine with Bastila, but I still hate Carth.

I agree that he's well-written and voiced...I just hate him.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: