2024-03-28, 13:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Games and Religion don't mix! (I pity da foo!)  (Read 5273 times)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« on: 2004-05-30, 04:53 »

I saw this quite a while ago. I think they have the concept backwards though, as I believe fragging Jesus would be much more fullfilling.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-30, 05:54 »

Even better than this one is "Wiccan Arena". In it you pick up copies of "the craft" to gain converts and spend most of your time trying in vain to convince others that your religion is an ancient mystical order instead of a pop cult invented in the 60s.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-30, 07:17 »

I myself would like to see an "Armageddon" game, where you get to accompany heaven's armies and lay waste to the armies of the world and exact judgement on all the wicked athiests and secular humanists who stand in the way of Jesus's Divine Occupation of the planet.  Maybe I can be one of the birds that fly "in the midst of heaven" who is called down to feast upon the resultant carnage.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-30, 07:56 »

In my honest opinion, religion doesn't mix with ANYTHING.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-30, 09:38 »

on the contrary... add enough vodka, or scotch, and it'll mix quite well....

(by 'enough' i mean a few gallons)
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-30, 16:26 »

i agree with dic. God made grain so we could make beer. praise the lord!!!!!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-31, 04:48 »

I could see Woodsman hitting it off with Friar Tuck pretty easily.

Video games DO mix well with religion, at least, certain aspects of it.  Let's see, I can name a few good games off the top of my head.

Doom - you vs. hell.  Obvious religious stuff there.
Wing Commander: Secret Missions 2 - by disrupting a very important religious ceremony of the Kilrathi, specifically the Sivar Eshrad ceremony, you save an entire planet and put their fleet into a full retreat.
Wing Commander:  Prophecy - you fight an ancient enemy of whose return a Kilrathi prophetess had spoken of in ancient times.
Unreal - Strong religious beliefs for the Nali, and you end up fulfilling an ancient prophecy.
Painkiller - fighting the forces of hell yet again.

This doesn't even get into the RPG games, of which I've not played many so I can't comment on.  Games spun ABOUT religion don't work too well as a rule, however including a religious element into a game only helps to add to the feel of believability and immersion.  This is one of the things I liked about Unreal and Wing Commander.  The Nali culture was believable, as was the Kilrathi.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: