2024-03-29, 11:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Req1dm6 The Dark Zone (BETA)  (Read 6124 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2004-07-07, 22:44 »

Alright been doing alot of mapping lately on all my maps,and i kinda thought it was about time to release the first beta of this map! i'll upload screenshots soon

Here's the download: http://www.planetpigeon.co.uk/req1dm6b1.zip

Thanks alot for Yicklepigeon for hosting this map!

Anyways all kind of feedback is very welcome!
A note tho i know the map needs more clip brushes and there is a curve crack.

Last: Have fun!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-08, 10:56 »

Overall look is good.  Overall scale feels good, much better than our current Q1DM6!  Gloomy and Q1-ish without beeing overly dark and dull.  Map flows well, and the texturing job is fantastic.  If I were to tell someone "Make me a Q1 remake!" This, along with Bad Place, is what I would expect to get. (Hint to all other prospective mappers).

The BFG in the invis area must go.  That really needs to change to a lightning gun spawn, or you'll end up with invisible Arena Gladiators spamming the Q3 BFG all over the map.  That would kill the map's gameplay, and I guarantee it will get voted out of rotation.

Third floor needs to go.  It doesn't really look bad, but the balcony ledges lend themselves to camping if someone decides to rocket jump up there and it also changes the upper level's dynamics by letting people get bounced up into that area.  Maybe if the central area was widened just a hair, or at least the ring area walkway made a hair narrower, the supports could be angled in like the original and the old flat roof put in place?

The hallways behind the Red Armor could do with a clip brush over the gaps in the bricks.  Grenades can get stuck in there.  I notice the Red Armor area is also significantly wider than in the original.  I don't think this is really a bad thing  since that's a heavily contested zone and it gives less of a "Slipgate camp/spam rockets" situation if people have some room to fight.  Nice effect with the ceiling pentagram.   You might consider thickening the edges of the shadow just a hair if possible.

Everything else seems pretty solid to me.  The teleporters obviously need some kind of effect, but since this is beta I'll assume that's in the works.  So far so good, keep up the good work!
 Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2004-07-08, 10:58 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-08, 12:05 »

It's like this:

The map is very good. I like the map, but this is the third remake of this map (although this remake is better than the others). Why don't you (mappers) try to make remakes of maps that doesn't have any remake? There's so many DooM maps that need a remake. And Wolf3d needs a remake of a map too, since it's the only game without a remake.Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying to stop remaking maps of Q1 or Q2. I'm just trying to say: make remakes of maps that doesn't have any remake.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-08, 12:43 »

Dang, I still have to load up the new version..

Kruzader:
Some maps are/were more popular, thus making them more important to get right. While hardly anyone is going to worry about doom II map 21 not being in the pack, everyone would notice a missing Dead Simple.
More importantly, a good remake is worth something, whereas a bad remake gets voted out of mapcycles and thus is not part of Generations at all. One of the q1dm6 remakes could be easily put on the list of 'most-shoddiest-maps-of-all-time', and the second was just a camp-fest, and boring to look at.
Finally, remember that ReBoOt is nuts, and also has two non-remade Strogg maps coming up very soon :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-08, 13:22 »

I know that q1dm6 is very popular. But I think that there's a lot of maps that need remakes. I know that wolf3d maps aren't exelent for DM but wolf3d deserves a remake. btw Tabun, I'm not against map evolution but i think that 3 or more remakes of a single map is too much. Of course, this is my opinion.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-08, 15:18 »

Luckily for everyone wanting a proper version of their favourite maps, it isn't ours :]

Our opinion, at this time, is that the topic has been derailed enough for now, so let's focus on this map, and not on others, in this thread.

q1dm6
Looking good, like I said before.

A few notes:

The timing on the invis-door still seems a bit on the short side. You don't really have to wait & hang around for a bit, you can just slip in within seconds after it's shot. Part of the trick was that in QW, it first shot down a bit, then opened VERY slowly. It should at least take somewhere around 10 secs before you're allowed to enter, for best gameplay effects, I think.

I agree with pho on the center area & the support struts. It just doesn't look The Dark Zone, to me.. The angled struts probably will really help get that feel back.

I really like the sarcofagus 'gate'. Looks real moody and stylish. The one thing I'm not so sure about, is its place. It looks kind of odd there, as well as provide an area where the player is harder to hit with rockets, from below. If you ask me, a better place for that thing would be anywhere in the hallway leading from the RA to the central upper area. I'm not sure what's happening with r_speeds there, but there's good clean wall for stuff like that, and it wouldn't look odd above another hallway.
Note the way firing rockets in the hallway underneath it lights up the sarcofagi.. odd, eh? :]

Are the teleporters getting a texture? Just a W.I.P.? If not, perhaps you could consider that, they look a bit odd without ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-07-08, 15:34 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-08, 19:41 »

Like what I'm playing so far, but seriously, lose th BFG. Apart from the fact that the Q3 Guy has a lightning ammo box and no gun to use it with!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-08, 21:08 »

Oh i forgot to mention the BFG spawn it will be removed and the BFG Ammo will be changed to either lightning ammo or cells.

Ok so far everyone want's the third floor to be gone..and it will be gone! Slipgate - Smile

Yea i guess the timing on that door is off i don't know what the original value on that timer was but i'll check it out!

hmm well i could move those sacrofagus somewhere else..they just poped into my mind the other day and i didnt really plan where to place em Slipgate - Smile

course due to the fact that the map is indeed quite detailed in some areas i just can't make more details at some locations or you'll get an awful high r_speeds and if you add that with gen's dynamic light it will hurt your fps bad.

a note for your mappers if you get the Max_leaf error with q3map2..you need make more brushes detail.

I know ppls want more remakes of doom maps and wolf 3d maps but when it comes to wolf maps they are all flat which makes it hard to remake then. doom maps on the other hand works better, but most of them really doesnt do good as an q3 deathmatch map. Anyways thanks for the feedback guys!
« Last Edit: 2004-07-08, 21:09 by ReBoOt » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: