2024-04-20, 12:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A v1.0 question (Three armours?)  (Read 16796 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2004-07-16, 18:47 »

I was flicking through the Gen manual and I noticed that it metions that the Slippy and Strogg classes have 3 armours. Does this mean that we'll see CPMA map support as well as TA come version 1.0? (CPMA has a green armour)
« Last Edit: 2004-07-16, 18:56 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-16, 19:24 »

Personally, I hope so... or at least some form of compatability is implemented so that CPM green armor translates into Gen green armor.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-16, 20:37 »

Well, we need to add a green armor item anyway at some point for Resurgence I'd imagine, so I don't see why we can't do that.  I'll just have to find out the name that CPMA uses for the item spawn for down the road.

Team Arena maps will be supported, however it will not play like Team Arena does out of the box.  I think I've covered this before.  In fact, I did.  It's all Right Here. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-18, 03:27 »

Yeah, I'm up to speed on the TA side of things. It would be good to see CPM support as there are a load of great remake maps that use the green armour, like this one:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=1146

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-18, 03:48 »

/me wonders how green armor would work for the classes that only HAVE 2 armor types.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-18, 05:04 »

Green armor = Green Armor for Doom =]

...or perhaps a shiny new helmet & boots? Interesting thought...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-18, 05:37 »

Well, Strogg has a green armor, and so does Skippy, so that only leaves Arena and Earth to worry about.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-18, 05:59 »

I'm with Tek - just give em their yellow armours.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-18, 06:12 »

granted it's only Earth and Doom who get the short end of the deal. But keep in mind that doom's armor stacks like crap. Green won't stack unless you've got < 100 green, and blue only stacks with blue. Shards of course stack with anything. Now, doom having two green armors MIGHT work, but that's one of those questions of balance.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-18, 06:34 »

Bumping the green armor cap from the armors themselves to 150 might help even things out a bit. Just a thought.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-18, 14:06 »

That'd be making an item spawn that supplies specifically weaker items for only two classes. I think this'll be better as a resurgence thing than for DM..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-18, 15:15 »

IMO that isn't necessary. Remember it's still an extra armour spawn, and there are loads of maps at present that have more than one YA.

WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-26, 01:39 »

Could always say that the Green Armour adds a fourth (red, yellow, shard, green) armor pickup for the other three classes. Arena has caused subtle changes and additions to the other four classes, seems fair for the other classes to cause a subtle change to Arena, so to speak.

Just make it act like a 'bundle' of Shards for Earth, Doom, and Strogg, then tweak how big a bundle it acts like for each other class.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-26, 01:45 »

Quote from: WolfWings
Could always say that the Green Armour adds a fourth (red, yellow, shard, green) armor pickup for the other three classes. Arena has caused subtle changes and additions to the other four classes, seems fair for the other classes to cause a subtle change to Arena, so to speak.

Just make it act like a 'bundle' of Shards for Earth, Doom, and Strogg, then tweak how big a bundle it acts like for each other class.
What I was thinking, though, was perhaps just making it a YA spawn for Arena, That way all classes have exactly what they should have.

WolfWings

Pinky

« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-26, 01:50 »

Quote from: scalliano
What I was thinking, though, was perhaps just making it a YA spawn for Arena, That way all classes have exactly what they should have.
But I thought it was, specifically, a new armor pickup for CPMA-compatable Q3A? I.E. There's already a defined and accepted result for picking up Green Armor thanks to CPMA. Slipgate is also handled (balancing issues not-withstanding) since they originally had Green Armor. That leaves Doom (green, blue, helmets, ???), Earth (Armor? *laughs*), and Strogg, IIRC.

The whole point of adding a green armour would be to add a sub-YA-level of armor pickup above what a single shard grants. Making it 'fall back' to YA for anyone would make that class gain a calculable advantage over all other classes that it didn't revert to a YA for, on maps that featured GA, ergo it's not a valid solution.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-26, 05:32 »

I was thinking along these lines:

Earth:  Some kind of shield artifact, or thighpads, or something?  25 point armor pickup.
Doom:  Standard green armor.  50 point armor pickup.
Slipgate:  Green armor like in Q1, following Gen's 1/2 armor formula.  25 point armor pickup.
Strogg:  Green armor like in Q2.  25 point armor pickup.
Arena:  Recolor of the existing armor model and effect.  25 point armor pickup.

The reason Doom would keep the 50 pointer is his armor is extremely weak as it is and gains no tactical advantage on the other classes.  The Earth item would be open to interpretation.

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-26, 10:52 »

shield sounds nice but..his body armor is more modern..
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-27, 18:42 »

My reasoning for suggesting the YA spawn, however, was for fear of the Arena class turning into a full CPM class, but Pho's suggestion comes as a good compromise imo (particularly where Doom is concerned), as the actual armour system in CPM is more in line with Q1 and, as such, in itself would give Arena a huge advantage (as if the BFG wasn't advantage enough...).

Flak-jacket for Earth, perhaps?

(ducks to avoid Tab's rail-slug)

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-28, 00:05 »

The flack jacket is a nice idea since it won't be implemented on .99e.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2004-07-28, 00:31 »

How about something like some shoulder pads and a bandolier?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: