2024-04-25, 02:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hangar beta 2 (Final Beta)  (Read 9948 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2004-09-12, 20:46 »

Hurricane Ivan decided not to visit my un-shuttered house, so I had some time to kill. I decided the other version will remain mostly as is, but for the pk community, since we need more vertical space for airfist jumping and hooking.

After playing the original in JDOOM and reading the post on map considerations on this forums, I made some changes to the map that will probably fare better with people who liked the original. I still made it Q3 like, mostly because DOOM textures are very scarce or non-existant, and cause I like it :-)

YOU NEED THE PREVIOUS BETA TO PLAY THIS ONE!, this is just a patch, it doesnt have any custom textures or shaders cause I didnt wanna upload 7 Mb again

I KNOW about the small "see thru" brush near the light model in the "shotgun courtyard", I already fixed it for the next release but I didnt wanna full-vis another 4 hours because of my idiotic oversight of a caulked brush.

Please d/l at http://www.flu.stonks.com/hangar2.zip
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-12, 21:06 »

4 hours for a full vis? it really should not take that long... you do use detail brushes i hope?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-12, 21:21 »

Thats ALMOST 4 hours of fullvis -meta -superblah blah -etc -patchshadows -bounce and something else :-)  A regular fullvis -light -extra takes only like 30 minutes. I have lots of detail brushes but I recognize I am a sloppy brusher, my favorite tool is csg substract, that oughta tell you the story, but with a full time job, three kids and a naggy wife, it's either that or nothing, cause I just dont have the time.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-12, 21:27 »

Quote from: FluSyndrome
and a naggy wife,
I had a wife like that once...... Idiot
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-12, 22:01 »

Ugh ok  CSG subtract is teh evil.. i only use it when i have absolutley no other choice...anyways you use -light -fast? if not you really should use it since it uses the new light tech created by ydnar and it's much faster..

But if i did compile without -fast you might notice that your map gets brighter and you'll have to change your light settings..but it is for a good cause so the extra work there doesnt matters right? Slipgate - Smile .
This is a compile string i use -light -bounce 20 -bouncegrid -fast -fastbounce -patchshadows -samples 4
*note no you wont have to do 20 bounces cuz mostly it only takes around 6-10 q3map2 stops when there are no more lights to calculate.

Anyways keep up the good work!
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-12, 22:18 »

Is -fast a final light stage? I only use it to review changes really quickly cause it compiles real fast. I thought I wasnt supposed to use that in final product. You right, on more than one occasion I map to get a certain dark atmosphere and when I do not use -fast it brightens up like a christmass tree. So now I usually make things dark on purpose cause I know the final will be brighter.  Thanks for the lesson tho :-) I use q3map2, but I admit there is a LOT I don't know about it.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-12, 22:32 »

Yes -fast is a final stage. all my maps use -fast . as i said earlier -fast is the new "tech" toy around with a bit and you'll see Slipgate - Smile
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-16, 21:41 »

Say, how do you get the Quad?
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #8 on: 2004-09-16, 23:42 »

Kinda like in the Old DOOM, as you went thru the main door leading to the exit, that lowered the ramp, and as you went to enter the "tech room" like in the 2nd or 3rd step, there was a lift that went down and you had to run in order to catch it and get some goodies up top. In this one you also lower the lift by going near the exit, and you open the door in the "secret" area by going near the tech room, you gotta haul arse tho, I didn't wanna make it easy.

This map is not a remake or conversion, but I did wanna make it in the general layout of Hangar.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2004-09-17, 01:47 »

Disregard my PM - I got it. Tricky!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-17, 02:23 »

Sorry I've not been able to take a look at it.  I've been completely unmotivated for mod-related activity the last week.  I'll give it a gander soon.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-18, 21:42 »

Yikes!  What a difference detail makes. I had detailed a lot of brushes throughout the level but had not detailed any on the Rocketlauncher outside courtyard (oversight) which has a ton of small brushes. I didnt think it would make any difference, but when I compile the map using all the goodies, bsp -meta -fullvis -light -fast -filter -super2 -patchshadows -fastbounce -bounce 3 -bouncegrid -bspc -optimize -forcesidesvisible  it went from 4 hours to just over an hour. I could even go around detailing some more but I can live with 1 hour. The map is finished, fixed tha caulked brush, changed railgun to railroad track, placed rail ammo where railgun is now, eliminated some rocket ammo cause slippy was kinda strong, and made some minor changes and adjustments in textures and stuff. Beta played the level with some bots and friends and seems fun with 3-4 players.

I'll post the final in a couple days if there is no more feedback.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-09-19, 11:42 »

Slipgate - Smile i told you it whould be a big diffrence using more detail brushes and using the -fast option. a warning tho detail brushes do not break vis! so don't use detail brushes if the brush is supossed to break vis... also you've tried to use -samples 4 instead of -filter -super 2? -samples are using anti-alising on the shadow edges.
 -super 2 and the option  -filter  just puts a gaussian blur on shadows. that's just a suggestion either of them will work great but in some cases the other works better...
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #13 on: 2004-09-19, 12:21 »

I may try with those extra options, thanks!.  And yes I know detail doesnt break vis, but look at how many litle brushes there are in the stairs, the pipes, the lights around the courtyard, the lava pump, etc,  LOTS!

Now I remember why I didnt use samples. I couldnt find the switch in Q3map2Toolz, there is a -samplesize switch, Is that the one?
« Last Edit: 2004-09-19, 12:43 by FluSyndrome » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2004-09-19, 18:52 »

Seems like you have an old version of q3map2toolz. the option should simply just be: -samples #. However you can edit the command line in q3map2toolz just remove -filter -super 2 and replace it with -samples # ( replace # with a number eg. 2  or 4 and so on..i use 4 but if your up to it try a higher number tho it will take twice as much time, and i doubt the result whould be that much better)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-20, 00:20 »

Dude, I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it looks 10x better now with the samples 4 option, THANKS!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2004-09-20, 20:18 »

Np Slipgate - Smile glad i could be of some assistance!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: