2024-03-29, 09:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few maps... (Quake and Doom Goodness.)  (Read 7116 times)
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« on: 2004-10-26, 02:05 »

Well, since finding out about this mod, I've been making maps that could fit in with it, as I think that the idea behind this is really neat. Anyway, so far I've made 2 maps that are playable, the first being Misery, which is themed as quake 1. The second is Ultra Violence, a CTF map, which is themed, you guessed it, Doom (sorta a mix between 1 and 3 . Thumbs up! ).  Misery has some really good gameplay and aesthetics IMO, and I think captures the q1 goth-feel pretty well. Ultra Violence is a bit more on the eye-candy side of things, but I'm working on the item/weapon placement. Anywho, below are some screenshots as well as download links. Any comments are more than welcome. Thanks!

Download Misery

Download Ultra Violence
« Last Edit: 2004-10-26, 02:07 by kaziganthe » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-26, 03:44 »

One note: Ultra Violence is the name of a classic QW map, so you may want to change that naming of your second map =p
kaziganthe

Lost Soul

« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-26, 05:15 »

Any suggestions?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-26, 12:49 »

Misery:
Nice map. intresting about the railgun in the middle of the room.

Lots of RLs as well.

see how it plays, then you might need to move the railgun.

really looks like a Q1 map Slipgate - Ownage
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-26, 18:16 »

Tek demo'd Misery with us awhile back, I like the map, but we DID find some bugs here and there. Yay for Earth trick-jumping XD.

Anyhoo, I'll probably snag it, just for old-time's sake. It's a good 1v1, or 2-4 person ffa map.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-27, 02:47 »

Ahh yes, I remember previewing Misery.  As for a rename for the CTF map, how about "Hurt Me Plenty", assuming that one's not already been taken?

I'll be sure to check them both out.  I still need to check out Flu's "Hangar" map as well, so I figure tonight is map test night for the bird.
  Doomed

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-27, 04:57 »

I ran into three problems on kazdm1 when I tried it with Generations.  First was this console warning:

trying textures/cardigan_skies/nebula1_orange_lightning.TGA...

The sky is broken.  This happens in Gen, but not normal Quake 3 Arena.  You've edited the cardigan_skies.shader file and changed a few things.  Unfortunately our FFA mappack uses cardigan_skies.shader for some of its maps, so your shader file is conflicting with ours.  You need to give your shader file a different name, and make sure that your individual shader names within that file do not share names with any that are in the original cardigan_skies.shader.

The second thing I noticed is that while there's no railgun on the map that I could find, there is a box of railgun ammo.

The last concern, fairly minor, is many of the "+" sign ceiling lights aren't properly clipped.  I can shoot rockets into some of them and they disappear.

For q3simple2 I had the following console warnings:

WARNING: reused image env/q3simple2/phobos_rt.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/q3simple2/phobos_bk.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/q3simple2/phobos_lf.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/q3simple2/phobos_ft.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/q3simple2/phobos_up.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
WARNING: reused image env/q3simple2/phobos_dn.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm

Otherwise the only real concern was clipping.  It was extremely easy to get hung up on the map's geometry in a lot of places, and I could also get into some rather interesting locations, as shown in the screenshots below.  I'm the second one I'm actually standing on one of the ceiling lights.  I was able to hop up the crates (125 fps trick), into the grated area, and from there jump to the light.  There's also a railing texture near the flag rooms that you can walk through, shown in the last shot.

« Last Edit: 2004-10-27, 04:58 by Phoenix » Logged

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-27, 05:27 »

I kinda like the play on old Doom themes... how about A Knee Deeper?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-10-27, 06:06 »

I also noticed the maps are not showing a map name during the loading screen.  The .arena files are there, so I think the mapnames are missing in the .bsp's.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: