2024-03-28, 22:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Loading Game/Alloc w/Solution  (Read 4162 times)
Feaelin

« on: 2004-10-31, 15:28 »

I downloaded the Generations mod for the first time yesterday and tried it out.  I wanted to share a problem (and the solution) I had, in hopes that no one else will be tripped up by it.

I was getting a hunk_alloc error, but setting com_hunkmegs didn't fix the problem entirely for me.  Turns out I had an additional snafu:

I and friends have our setup so that the autoexec.cfg in baseq3 launches a local cfg in a given mod directory.  So I don't have auto'execs in the mod directories, but instead autolocal.cfg files, which I exec from autoexec.cfg in the baseq3.

Apparently, this confused generations.  Renaming your autoexec.cfg to autolocal.cfg so that it was launched by my autoexec.cfg appeared to clear up the problem.

It is probably the lack of some of the other settings that I have in the autoexec that makes the difference, but I'm not going to go hunting for the specific one. Slipgate - Smile
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that said, I want to re-iterate what's been said elsewhere: Generations won't work without your com_hunkmegs set high enough! So make sure you have that first! (This is not the only mod that has this issue!)

f.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-31, 20:12 »

Regarding the Autoexec.cfg, Yes. Generations requires it to be run for the mod to function properly. If you use your own, you can either add your stuff to the genarena autoexec, or work out some solution like the one Feaelin did.

Also, FYI, the associated class.cfg files (doom.cfg, earth.cfg, etc) are run every time you change class in the game, so therefore, you can actually have class-specific bindings within generations, simply by adding them to the class cfg files. Example:

While doom, you want the 'Q' key to be your rocket launcher... But while Earth, you want it to be the flamethrower..

doom.cfg:
bind q "weapon 5"

earth.cfg:
bind q "weapon 8"

And viola.. there ya go!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-01, 07:59 »

Glad you got it working without too much trouble. Slipgate - Wink

For the next release (a small post-99e bugpatch build) I've corrected any concerns with too low a com_hunkmegs setting.  I managed to add code to the UI that will automatically force the com_hunkmegs up to a minimum safe setting.  If this works properly after the public release of the bugpatch and there are no complaints then I'll treat all the other cvars that are currently required to be preset in the autoexec.cfg to be handled in a similar manner.  Hopefully that will make  "first time runs" of Gen a bit less painful.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Guest_Feaelin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-11-02, 20:25 »

Quote from: Dicion
Also, FYI, the associated class.cfg files (doom.cfg, earth.cfg, etc) are run every time you change class in the game, so therefore, you can actually have class-specific bindings within generations, simply by adding
I had been wondering that was the case. I hadn't had a chance to fiddle with the files yet.  Can't decide if I want any per-class customizations or not, I'll probably have more  of a opinion after I play it more!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: