2024-03-28, 14:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: *Sigh*  (Read 6356 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-12-07, 05:23 »

Hardware troubles are endless this week.  My router is dying.  I must now replace it.  If I connect more than one PC at a time it crashes and I cannot access it nor reset it.  Pulling the plug is all that works, and if more than one PC is hooked to it then it will just reset itself over and over.  I should (hopefully) have a new one by tomorrow.  We shall see.  Until then, if I'm offline for a bit you know why.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-12-07, 20:25 »

you need a router ?
you have an old pc ?
you know something about linux ?

http://www.ipcop.org/

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-12-07, 20:55 »

My Netgear one did that for a bit until I changed around the port forwarding settings to make the port ranges on them much narrower. Seemed to work aok.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-12-07, 21:19 »

I unplugged it for about 20 minutes, and it would not work at all afterward.  The router is dead, long live the router.

I now have a new router, and so far it appears to be behaving itself.  I've reconfigured it and everything is working swell.

Games Keeper:  I have an old computer, and I know squat about Linux.  I would also need an additional network card AND a 5 port switch AND additional network cable.  I know all the hard-core Linux gurus swear by this approach, and Warden recommended the same thing, but I am not a hardcore Linux guru, nor do not have the luxury of wasting my backup computer to install Linux, nor do I have the time to learn a new OS, and I'd STILL have to buy a piece of equipment  regardless since I don't have a spare switch lying around.  By the time I got done with adding a new NIC and the switch I'd end up paying the same for a router anyway.  New router installed, problem solved, Phoenix is happy even if his piggy bank is now empty, so long as nothing ELSE breaks this week!

Edit: Well for some reason I cannot scan my Beta Test server using ASE.  I can get it to show up in ASE if I delete all the servers listed under "Quake 3 Arena->Other", but half the time it shows up as "Unscanned" and even once I do get some server data I can't refresh it, yet every other Gen server is refreshing fine.  I set the router up the same way as the old one, so I'm hoping it's just something goofy with ASE and not a problem with port forwarding not functioning correctly.

« Last Edit: 2004-12-08, 03:06 by Phoenix » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-12-08, 09:17 »

Seems the problems extend beyond ASE.  Idlebot can DCC send (requires port forwarding) without me forwarding the ports to it that it requires to do so, yet this machine WITH the proper port forward ranges can'd DCC send at all.  After a screen-by-screen session with Dr. Jones to assist me, I could not get around this problem nor the ASE scan problem.... although everyone ELSE could scan the Beta Test server just fine, no PC on my own LAN could, but I could scan every other Q3 server in existence.  Either the router is defective, or Linksys has really screwed up on their product.  I'm going to have this one exchanged, and if the new one does it I'm going to try switching over to a D-Link router.

The Lord grant me patience...

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-12-08, 13:53 »

pho , for letting to computers on the internet you only need 3 network cards .

ipcop 1.4 is completely user friendly ( its the scripting addon things that require you to know linux )

backup computer i mean a pentium 1 or 2 with a 2gigh harddisk or so .
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #6 on: 2004-12-08, 18:32 »

Quote from: Phoenix

That will get you children. Trust me on that one...

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-12-08, 23:48 »

All I can say is...  Daman, you da man!  I replaced the Linksys with a D-Link DI-604, and I opened one (1) port - 27966, and my server now scans properly!  <3

The interface for the DI-604 has a LOT more features and options than the BEFSR41, including the firewalling.  The firewall settings work more in tune with a REAL firewall, and any ports opened under the "virtual server" show under the firewall list.  What I like is I don't even have to use the single port virtual server options, I can just go straight to the firewall rules section and set it up any way I damned well please, and the firewall has rule prioritizing.  This is SOOOO much more professional to work with.  I'll set it up with my old port ranges and test DCC transfers tonight, but so far I like this unit a LOT.  As for Linksys...  It seems to me that Linksys has "noobified" their equipment in an attempt to idiot-proof it for the "casual home user", and the result is lost functionality.  Their v2 routers were good, but the v3 router just SUCKS.  I'll never touch one again nor will I recommend them.

And Games... I do NOT have a spare hard drive floating around, and I have MORE than two computers.  Sometimes I have four hooked up at a time, sometimes three, but always at LEAST two.  That's why I'd need a switch regardless.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #8 on: 2004-12-09, 08:24 »

All I can say is...  Daman, you da man!  I replaced the Linksys with a D-Link DI-604, and I opened one (1) port - 27966, and my server now scans properly!  <3

Damn Straight.

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-12-09, 09:12 »

AND...  took all freaking night, but I finally figured out how to get DCC to work right with this router!  It seems the ruleset is a bit touchy, so I'll have to experiment, but the beauty is I can save my configurations to my harddrive with this unit so I don't have to worry about screwing up.  YES!!  Thumbs up!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-12-09, 09:14 »

Quote from: DaMan McDeth 666

That will get you children. Trust me on that one...
Really?  One day a nest of little fledgy phoenixes for me to feed and love and take care of?  Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it. Slipgate - Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: