2024-03-28, 22:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: .99f Feedback Thread  (Read 132900 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #40 on: 2005-04-20, 16:56 »

This belongs on the "Bug Reports" forum really, and we need the error message to do any good.  I'd advise looking through the "Troubleshooting" portion of the manual.  I'd link you to the online copy, but it's still showing the .99e manual.  I think we forgot to update the site!  Slipgate - WTF

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #41 on: 2005-04-21, 21:29 »

Heres the error message:

I have no idea what this means. Doom - Huh?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #42 on: 2005-04-21, 21:41 »

I don't know how to fix that, all I know is that Quake 2 gave a friend of mine a similar error, as did the Quake 1 mission packs when I tried to install them on my PC -- we're both running Windows XP, but the error was the same.

You might try using the ZIP version instead of the EXE installer.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #43 on: 2005-04-21, 21:50 »

means the windows installer crashed at some point, rebooting SHOULD fix it.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2005-04-22, 05:24 »

Or you had a corrupted installer.  Try redownloading.  If it keeps crashing then try the .zip.  Also, make sure you have administrator priveleges whenever you're doing a program install.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #45 on: 2005-04-22, 17:27 »

Will do. I'll let you know how it goes. He seems not to keen on Gen at the moment, just got FF11for PC  you see. Ah, the younger generation, FPS are not good enough for them........ Slipgate - Smirk
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #46 on: 2005-04-22, 20:08 »

FF made me the man I am today.
 Banging Head against Wall  Sobbing  :hat:  Who's Your Daddy?  Idiot  The Finger

I would also consider re-downloading. Probably got corrupt somehow.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #47 on: 2005-04-23, 09:53 »

First I've got to get him to shut down FF. At the moment he just swears at me if I even talk to him Slipgate - Off Topic
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #48 on: 2005-04-24, 12:30 »

I'm thinking that sniper should have some visible muzzle smoke after shot.  
I sometimes ged desperate when Tab kills me many times in row and i cant see from where, specjaly now when all snipers have same damage.  Slipgate - Exhausted
« Last Edit: 2005-04-24, 12:30 by Kingu » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #49 on: 2005-04-24, 13:09 »

Especially now? It used to do more damage!
I myself don't have any problems spotting a 'sniper' after a shot; the distinctive sound gives a huge clue in what direction to look, and by considering the possible angles and seeking shelter, one can usually lure the bastard(s) out. And set them on fire. ;]

That said, I wouldn't mind smoke, or even a tracer (although the latter would look unrealistic indeed).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #50 on: 2005-04-24, 13:17 »

When it had 150 it was almost certain death and i was used to it.
Usualy I im able to spot sniper if i'm not dead and scoreboard , and that was those "moments".
 Surviveing close mortar shot isn't realistic either   Slipgate - Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2005-04-24, 13:28 by Kingu » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #51 on: 2005-04-24, 14:21 »

Within the realm of Q3, it is. How damage works is not really comparable to visual appearance for this kind of thing; it is accepted that a player can survive a rocket blast simply by wearing only a couple of shards of armor, but that does not mean it would be equally acceptable that the rocket-explosions were rendered purple.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-24, 14:22 by Tabun » Logged

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #52 on: 2005-04-24, 17:06 »

I think what were getting at here is that

1. there are now more snipers than any other type of player
2. it's not always easy to spot where the shot came from

to people who can hear and recognise where the shot came from this isn't a problem and can be overcome

however..... to people unaccustomed to sniper rifle sounds (playing ut games makes this a whole lot easier) will find themselves disorientated and easy meat

I personnally think that adding smoke to the rifle would be a bad thing.  as it punishes people who are better, just so people can spot them.

just practice listening for them tell tale sound and make sure it's not you it hits
Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #53 on: 2005-04-24, 18:28 »

... dito... last thing we want is to make GEN look like sissy UT2004 Sniper Rifle...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2005-04-24, 18:52 »

In addition to that, I don't think there are more 'snipers' than other types of players around. In the games I've observed, I've seen more mortar than sniper kills..

Then there's the actual way the sniper rifle works. Like the mortar, it's a little different from standard Quake-type weapons; unlike the railgun, it is not a hitscan (instant hit) weapon, but an arced-projectile gun. This means it requires extra leading and compensation for the curved flight pattern.
The bullet can rebound from a surface and hit people around corners - which does two things: it makes the gun more powerful, and it would impair the visual aid offered by muzzle smoke etc. One can also hit oneself this way, which is always good for a chuckle.

All in all I think the sniper rifle is less dangerous than its futuristic counterparts. It is more difficult to hit with and the actual effect of 'remaining hidden to the target' is very much dependant on the inabilities of the opponent - something which should, after a few rounds (or at most a few hundred Slipgate - Wink be a thing of the past.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #55 on: 2005-04-24, 18:53 »

To my knowledge, there are a few reasons that the Earth sniper rifle doesn't have any kind of a trail:

1) The bullet does not travel at sub-light speeds, like rails do. You actually have to lead a moving target, instead of just "point and shoot" like you do with the railguns.
2) As a result of #1, you can actually see the bullet in the air if you look for it.
3) The bullet will fall with gravity over any distance. On smaller or more enclosed maps maps (Fistful of Steel) is isn't much of an issue, but on larger maps (Longest Yard), it forces you to have to aim differently.

And just a personal opinion, I really don't think the rifle needs any kind of a trail on it... because it would look stupid. Doing that would make it too much like the sniper rifles in the Halo series, which is never a good thing.

Edit: Tabun wallhacked my post and got it his in before I could see it coming. Damnit! Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2005-04-24, 18:54 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Eeks

« Reply #56 on: 2005-04-24, 19:16 »

Absolutely brilliant but... it seems like the slipgate models are the worst out of the lot. They look nothing like the originals. However the models on the website seem to look almost perfect. Why is this? Have you just not put the new models in the game yet? Or did you just put them in badly in the fps view? I am however not so sure about the Thunderbolt gun, it just doesn't look like the original. And also the rocket launcher seems to look a bit thin in gameplay. Have you done the animations for the axe yet because it doesn't seem like it should take you this long. From the demo, the slipgate class seems to be the worst at sticking with the originals. The doom one being the best even though you have made them 3d which is an excellent job. I hope you do fix these things for when the full version is released however far away that will be. Considering I think the slipgate class should be the best one this is very bad for me.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #57 on: 2005-04-24, 19:29 »

I honestly don't know what weapon models you're looking at -- most of the Slipgate weapons look a lot like their original versions, with some artistic liberties taken on them. Our Slipgate rocket launcher, for example, is simply more rounded than the one in Quake 1. Nothing is spot-on, of course, but they're all very recognizable.

The exceptions? First, the axe. The model in .99f will be replaced in 1.0, and you can see the model that will be there in the gallery.

Second, the shotguns. Once again, the models in .99f will be replaced in 1.0. Again, you can see these in the gallery.

Third, the Shaft. You're right, this one doesn't really look like the Q1 Thunderbolt... I'm personally hoping it gets replaced with a model that looks more like the brown bolt thrower from Q1, with an "open housing" like the Doom plasma rifle... but that's my opinion. I don't make the models.

As for animations, they're being worked on. Slipgate's weapon animations are the simplest out of all the classes that need this work done, but that doesn't mean it's an easy process. It takes time to get them "perfect," and we have no plans of releasing anything but what we see as perfection when 1.0 comes around.

As for the "Slipgate class should be the best one," that's an opinion, and I'm not going to go there.. Slipgate - Ownage

Er, anyway. The aim is to have the classes accurate to the original games, but on a level playing field. In this realm, Slipgate is very similar to Quake 1. Keep in mind that Quake 1 didn't have things mortar shells, Doom plasma, and Q2 rails flying around. The Slipgate class itself is fine -- it's his environment that makes it seem different. The only issue with Slipgate right now is his jumping, but that will also be fixed in 1.0.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #58 on: 2005-04-24, 21:12 »

and Tab i meant "Sniper" as a generic term as in Railguns, sniper rifles and the like.

not just the earth class, as yes most people do use the mortar more as that class
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #59 on: 2005-04-24, 21:33 »

Gotcha.
I'll be sure to use my shotguns on you more often! :]

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: