2024-04-29, 00:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AOL Instant Messenger TOS  (Read 4730 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2005-03-12, 15:11 »

Not sure of anybody who uses AIM had noticed this, but its terms of service were updated to include the following statement:

http://www.aim.com/tos/tos.adp

Although you or the owner of the Content retain ownership of all right, title and interest in Content that you post to any AIM Product, AOL owns all right, title and interest in any compilation, collective work or other derivative work created by AOL using or incorporating this Content. In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses.
I have nothing to hide, and chances are this is just so they can do ads in the way Google does, but that still disturbs me.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-12, 15:11 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-13, 15:36 »

No, this is so if the Feds, RIAA, or anyone else wants to snoop AOL can have carte blanche to hand over your messages without a court order, and they can sell statistics, including any personal information that may be covertly pulled by the program, to information clearing houses.  Notice this little gem:

You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses.
(Emphasis mine)

People wonder why I refuse to use AIM, well there's one hell of a good reason.  AOL can kiss off.[/color]

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-13, 17:04 »

Hooray for MSN messenger and ICQ. Slipgate - Tongue
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-03-13, 21:32 »

Like you don't waive all rights using those. IRC is the only way to go. MSN cannot be trusted for the simple fact it's a piece of M$ marketing and ICQ has security leaks the size of elephantitis-testicles.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-14, 00:46 »

I am registered on ICQ, years and years ago, but have rarely used it.  Indeed, if memory serves, I didn't trust then (and still don't now) to enter my more personal details such as snail mail address and other tidbits along those lines.

Furthermore,  just using it to me - is a GUI nightmare.  Just what in the hell was the designer smoking? My annoyances aside...I despise MSN - it is not only common but obviously run by Microsoft.  I can't remember at this time who owns ICQ these days.

I completely despise AIM for the reasoning that Tab has described above.  Indeed, I agree with Tabby, IRC is the only way to go.

Regards,

Yickle.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-14, 08:18 »

ICQ was bought by AOL sometime back.  I'm still using a hacked version of 2000b that eliminates the spyware/adware aspect of it.  Newer versions are utter crap, requiring you to keep your contact list on their servers, etc.  The nice thing about the older ICQ's (don't know on the new one) is you connect directly with the person, the only thing the server does is tell you the person's status, or allow you to relay messages off the server should you be unable to connect directly.  I know some people who never use IRC, and never will, and it's about the only way I can shuttle files around to them at times or keep in contact with them.  The "patched" version works nicely enough, doesn't seem to crash or get flakey, and configured properly you'd hardly know that it was even based on the same code as the abomination that ICQ has become.  As far as I'm aware I've never been hit with any stupid "terms and conditions" agreement and since I have no intention of upgrading to a newer version, there's not much they can do except make older copies incompatible with the server.  If that happens, then I will uninstall the program and find an alternate method of contact.

I wouldn't recommend publishing personal info ANYWHERE on the internet, as there are data mining bots all over the place just waiting to find it.

Edit:  Oh, and this hit eWeek as well as the Drudge Report, so it's getting wide attention, as it should.
« Last Edit: 2005-03-14, 08:26 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2005-03-28, 11:18 »

perhaps I (or someone else around here) should make WHIM?  I unfortunately would only be able to do it in VB, but I can do IM and file transfer, which are the two necessary bits.  If someone else has the time to code it in a better language, I'd be all for that.

I claim trademark or something to "Wirehead IM" and "WHIM" though ^_^
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2005-04-02, 04:58 »

Quote from: Phoenix
ICQ was bought by AOL sometime back.  I'm still using a hacked version of 2000b that eliminates the spyware/adware aspect of it.  Newer versions are utter crap, requiring you to keep your contact list on their servers, etc.  The nice thing about the older ICQ's (don't know on the new one) is you connect directly with the person, the only thing the server does is tell you the person's status, or allow you to relay messages off the server should you be unable to connect directly.  I know some people who never use IRC, and never will, and it's about the only way I can shuttle files around to them at times or keep in contact with them.  The "patched" version works nicely enough, doesn't seem to crash or get flakey, and configured properly you'd hardly know that it was even based on the same code as the abomination that ICQ has become.  As far as I'm aware I've never been hit with any stupid "terms and conditions" agreement and since I have no intention of upgrading to a newer version, there's not much they can do except make older copies incompatible with the server.  If that happens, then I will uninstall the program and find an alternate method of contact.

I wouldn't recommend publishing personal info ANYWHERE on the internet, as there are data mining bots all over the place just waiting to find it.

Edit:  Oh, and this hit eWeek as well as the Drudge Report, so it's getting wide attention, as it should.
Use Trillian to cure your ICQ woes. The ICQ client sucks, has always sucked, and will always suck. As for privacy, you don't have any on an IM program, and you never had any. Governments, being governments, will do anything possible to stamp out 100% secure communication.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-02, 05:00 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: