2024-03-29, 09:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Halo 2 sucks (Or so someone says)  (Read 7458 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2005-04-25, 03:46 »

I'll be honest -- this game's "Slayer" (deathmatch) mode has always felt a bit... "off," at least in my opinion, even when compared to the first Halo.

Now I know why.

Give this a watch. It compares some things between the two games, and shows off some really ugly bugs/glitches that never should have made it past an alpha version.

Edit: I'll leave this here, since it's still worth looking at the stuff some "professional" game makers are capable of, while us "ameteurs" seem to catch major issues such as these long before the public sees them...

So soon after posting this, it was brought to my attention that an autoupdate from Bungie fixes many of the issues shown in this video. Oopsie.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-25, 04:51 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Metatron

Banned
Unnamed Player

« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-25, 06:41 »

Why Halo 2 sucks? Um, because it's the sequel to Halo, which already sucked. The only reason Halo is popular is because the drunken frat boys that own Xboxes are too stupid to own an actual computer and have thus never played any FPS that rises above complete mediocrity.

Blah blah blah, I'm another dev/null clone.  I have no life so I try to register duplicate accounts and post anti-religious rants because it helps me compensate for my small, erm, level of self-esteem.  It's not like I couldn't get a life and learn to live in peace with my neighbors or anything.  That might actually require me to grow up and stop throwing temper-tantrums like a 2-year old child.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-25, 06:42 »

That's hardly true. I played all three oldschool Doom games, all three Quake games, the original Unreal Tournament, and several other FPS title before playing the original Halo -- and I still enjoyed it, to a point.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2005-04-25, 09:43 »

Quote from: Makou
That's hardly true. I played all three oldschool Doom games, all three Quake games, the original Unreal Tournament, and several other FPS title before playing the original Halo -- and I still enjoyed it, to a point.
I enjoyed Aliens vs. Predator 2 too.. does that make it the greatest FPS game ever? lots of these "drunken fratboys" actually BELIEVE that Halo 2 is the greatest FPS game ever, and don't tell me otherwise, because I've witnessed it. I continue to insist that Halo 2 is just a hack... it took a variety of concepts from other past successful FPS franchises, threw it in one game on a hack console, with a hack online game mode (like it hasn't been done on the PC platform for the past what, 12 years?), CHARGE people to play it online, and they think it's golden.

they'd probably have the audacity to say the graphics are the best ever or some shit as well. if they think Halo 2 looks great on a "GeForce 3" then perhaps they should experience video capabilities about 3 generations later. the continued argument by console weenies that "Xbox has the best graphics" was old in 2002... it's a gimp PC, I sure as spork hope the graphics are better than PS2's non-accelerated graphics.

but back to Halo.. ya.. VEHICLES! OOO!! VOICE COMMUNICATION!! please....

I hate Halo, and I hate the horribly non-ergonomic Xbox controller.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-04-25, 13:17 »

The main reason why I don't care for Halo is just because it's not my thing.  I like games that enable me to really move around and defend myself.  Halo's gameplay just doesn't allow for that.  The only way for me to avoid damage is to either kill the other guy first or to be near some structure that I can take cover behind.  There is no retreating, you either kill or get killed, and that gets dull in my opinion.  (Counter-Strike is even worse because taking damage impairs your movment but at least the grenades help to mix things up.)

And while I don't really want to argue, the whole damn elitist attitude towards console games gets really old.  If you can learn to live with ping, you can learn to play with a damn controller.  If at first you don't succeed, try again.  Don't take your losses so damn personally and so damn seriously.

As for good FPS alternatives to Halo 2 on the X-Box:

Time Splitters: Future Perfect -- My room-mate rented this so I got a chance to check it out.  The single-player seems average, but it has a great sense of cheeky humor.  The multi-player mode has a shit load of options, a ton of unlockable content, and it really gives off that GoldenEye/Perfect Dark vibe which makes for a lot of replayability.

Unreal Championship 2 -- I'm still waiting for my copy dammit, but I've played the demo, and I've been watching this game since it was announced.  It's the direction FPS games need to go in my opinion, and I highly recommend you check it out if you have an X-Box.

DOOM 3: Collector's Edition  -- Runs like crap on your PC?  Want Co-Op?  Like the idea of split-screen multiplayer with DOOM 1 and DOOM 2?  Go pick it up.

And about X-Box Live:

Ok, I think there are some misconceptions about this service.  Granted, it is overhyped.  I was disappointed myself, but let's look at what you're getting...

A 12-Month Starter kit costs $60.
With that $60 you get a free game. (Crimson Skies sucks ass, try to find the older starter kits that have Mech Assault in them.)
A high-quality headset plus head-phone
And a year's worth of the X-Box live service for free.
And the X-Box Live service costs $50 a year (yes a year, not a month) after that.

If I wanted to get that same experience on the PS2 I'd have to...

Buy a network adapter for $40 if I don't have the PS2 Slim-line
Buy a seperate headset and headphone combo for $40 to $50
Be subject to individual pay-to-play services (generally MMOG's, but really companies can do what they want if people are willing to pay them for it.)
Be subject to individual companies maintaining master servers so I can play online
And I don't get a free game

Here's another thought, Microsoft has mandated that all titles developed for the next X-Box system be Live enabled.  Somehow I don't forsee having to pay for an X-Box Live account and a X-Box Next/360/Whatever Live acocunt, but I could be wrong.

Could X-Box Live be better than what it is?  Certainly.  I'd like to see some kind of standardization of X-Box live rather than each game implementing select features here and there and designing their own interface.  (It sounds like the new system is going to try and bring about this.)  I'd also like to see X-Box Live build in some kind of voice chat-room feature.  It's damn hard to contact somebody without them playing the same game as you are, and there is zero socialization without some game in your system.  I also wish they'd implement crappy little parlor games if they did the voice chat thing.  Slipgate - Smile

And that's all that I think I wanted to say.

Slipgate - Off Topic

mecha:  For a guy that quit the "scene", you sure are posting on the forum often.  Looks like you just moved venues. Slipgate - Wink  And also, what do you mean by "non-accelerated"?  PS2 games are not run in software-rendering.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-25, 13:27 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #5 on: 2005-04-25, 16:18 »

Well to be the Devil's Advocate, i happen to like halo 1 & 2.

now don't get me wrong the auto aim in halo 2 is an abombination that allows friggin newbies to frag with the sniper rifle and battle rifle with ridiculous frequency.

and as a multi - player game it suck's tremendous ass, however

Halo 1 did have a good story, one that although has been done to death was quiet nice while it lasted, and true it rips off plently of other games in the process

for example

1. The Flood, quiet clearly a resident evil idea
2. The Covenent, Religious Aliens that wan't to purge the galaxy of humanity (hmmm now where have i heard that from before)
3. the last level in halo 1, The Maw.  Ohhh no there's no way to stop the horror, we'll have to blow up the ship we came here in to protect mankind (Jeeez, shoot me now)

but on the plus side

1. If you shot enough of the marines that were supposed to help you, you got chased through out the level and gunned down Slipgate - Laugh, Nice

2. if you want to know what the aliens are saying just record it and play it back in reverse  Slipgate - Wink  very freaky

doing crazy ass, stunt's in a warthog was a good way to waste a hell of a lot of time  Slipgate - Smirk

as for halo 2

bad points first

1. you get to play as an elite (well whoopie do)  Slipgate - Sad
2. you get massive auto aim ( I hit him and killed him while pointing how far in the oppersite direction ?)
3. they took away the sniper pistol ( Damn you Bungie )

and now the good points

1. you finally get your hands on the laser swords ( Must Chop, Pierce and slash some more)
2. You could finally operate the turrets on the warthogs properly and have somebody else drive ( yes, i'm the gunner now !!)
3. The Fuel Rod Gun was yours to own (yes!!!)

so Halo 1 & 2 may not be the best games in there class (That Honor soo goes to Half Life 2), but they allow you to switch off your brain for a while and go gungho against weird religious aliens, floating viruses and big ass apes in armour all for the good of humanity.

now does that sound like fun, hmmm well maybe for a while.

so I put it to you like Halo not for it's samey-ness, not for it's cliched ideas, but because for 2 -3 hours you don't have to think , just point and shoot weird ass stuff that comes you way

Long live Repeatative games and there many sequels  Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-04-25, 16:58 »

So I watched the video, which was extremely dark for the most part and hard to tell half of what was going on, but what really got my attention was the "invulnerable player" bug, the vehicles being indestructible, and the autoaim.  I've never played either Halo, and from the looks of this it seems that Halo 2 is completely worthless for multiplayer unless you're the kind of person who actually enjoys lameness.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2005-04-25, 17:26 »

that own Xboxes are too stupid to own an actual computer 
completely against this ,
xbox is the best thing ever .

they are exelent to install linux on them .
http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/howtomdk9.html
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2005-04-25, 18:20 »

Quote from: Phoenix
... the "invulnerable player" bug ...
The invulnerable player, it turns out, is someone playing over Xbox Live who has lost his connection. Apparently, Halo 2 requires a return signal or something like that in order for damage to be taken/dealt. There are claims that this has been changed in a recent autoupdate, but I'll believe it when I see it...

Quote from: Phoenix
... the autoaim.
As for the autoaim, that's what made the game feel really "off" to me. The first Halo's aiming system was spot-on, and I never realized just how much it was -- when the video showed one person drawing an outline on another player with the Covenent plasma rifle, I couldn't believe it was that accurate. Then when he started taking shots with the plasma pistol in Halo 2 that should have very obviously missed... that speaks for itself.

Autoaim is good in Doom, when you can't aim up or down. Autoaim is not good in a game that requires pinpoint accuracy and seems to ask you to grow some skill and do it yourself.

It really saddens me that Halo 2 is what it is. I honestly enjoyed playing deathmatch with friends in Halo quite a bit, even though I constantly had my ass handed to me (console controlers are hard to use for someone used to mouse+keyboard). Halo 2 did nothing but frustrate me, because I was getting killed when I felt I shouldn't have... and it turns out that I was right.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-25, 18:25 by Makou » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2005-04-25, 19:16 »

1. The Flood, quiet clearly a resident evil idea
2. The Covenent, Religious Aliens that wan't to purge the galaxy of humanity (hmmm now where have i heard that from before)
3. the last level in halo 1, The Maw. Ohhh no there's no way to stop the horror, we'll have to blow up the ship we came here in to protect mankind (Jeeez, shoot me now)
1 - Or Zerg, or Borg, etc..
2 - Yeah, Marathon, Halo's predecessor.
3 - It fit the plot, so no issues here.

My big beefs with halo 2 tend to revolve around the lameness. The camo is FAR more visible now, the shotgun has been gimped, and those @#$%ing STUPID tracking plasma pistol shots.. Not to mention the fact that grenades have little to no effect on vehicles..

And then the lag hacks.. The invulnerable dropped player is one thing, but MY favorite is the out-of-sync character that runs around visibly on one part of a level, and is invisible elsewhere. Not to mention invulnerable.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2005-04-25, 19:37 »

the best part of the whole thing is where he tottaly contradicts himself by saying the rocket launcher is a noob weapon then at the end whining about how he cant hit the banshee..  other then the autoaim thing.. i like everything halo2 has added, its way more fun(with the exception to the vehicles being blown up now.. not as fun since you cant launch them anymore) than i ever had with halo.. half the tests he ran would NEVER happen in a real game. Live or LAN. ive played tonnes and never ever had half the stuff happen. And is it me, or when he was doing the shotgun thing, didnt he say you had to stuff it in their face in halo? then proceeds to show that you have to do the same thing in halo2? what was the point of that?

eh well, all i know is that me and my friends havent played halo1 since halo2 came out. its a blast, and any small miscomings are well made up for with things like headshots(and tbh ive NEVER had a problem sniping people over long distances), dual wield(dual needlers rock! even if they arent all that effective its just plain fun), the sword.. hell i think the sword alone makes halo2 better. nothing mroe fun than bashing down yer opponent.

and last but not least LIVE. did halo1 ever get new maps?.. ever? huh? well guess what, they are beginning at the end of this month to release new maps for halo2. at first they wont ALL be free, (like 5 bucks for extra maps).. but eventually, later this year they will be releasing them all for free(with free ones also interspersed in between).. i think its something like 16 extra maps but im not tottaly sure.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2005-04-25, 20:06 »

1) Whether something would happen in "real play" or not is irrelevant -- a bug is a bug is a bug. These companies pay people to squash these things so they're never seen by the public. The testers are supposed to do things that would "never happen."

2) New maps are irrelevant in this context. Sorry.

Quote from: Hedhunta
And is it me, or when he was doing the shotgun thing, didnt he say you had to stuff it in their face in halo? then proceeds to show that you have to do the same thing in halo2?
You interpretted this wrong. He means, "In Halo 2, you have to 'deep throat' a player for a 1-hit kill." If you watch the Halo 1 clips, he's standing a decent distance away from other players, but is killing them with one shot. Then on the Halo 2 clip, at the same distance, it takes three or four shots to kill the guy -- to get a 1-hit kill with the shotgun in Halo 2, you have to shove it in another player's face. That's what he meant.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-25, 20:08 by Makou » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-04-25, 23:18 »

Bugs, eh?  I'm an amateur programmer, and I go out of my way to squash every evil bug I possibly can.  I see no reason a professional gaming company (read:  any professional gaming company) should do any less except to rush it to production.  That tells me they care more about getting a quick payoff from initial sales than providing the best product they can.  Makou is right, professional gaming companies pay people to beta test.  Normally it's called "Quality Assurance" in the credits.  Some things - like the bit about only the host being able to rocket or grenade jump - is absolutely inexcusable.  That says a lot about how poorly hacked up the netcode is.

Paying for maps?  Sorry, but I can play just about any other FPS shooter and download custom maps for free.  I'll pay for a mission pack because it's an organized single-player game, but I won't pay to download individual, after-the-fact multiplayer maps.  Sure, maybe they'll be free later, but this is still an obvious money grab.

Glad you like the game, that's fine if you enjoy playing it.  I have no criticism of the players since I'm not one myself, only the lowering of design standards by the programmers that I'm seeing here.  I really have to agree with Makou on this.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #13 on: 2005-04-26, 02:26 »

I'm with Pho here. Personally I have absolutely NO time for any online service that charges for the privilege. I'm already paying for the connection and I'm not about to start paying a subscription just to play one particular game/system online. I was never really impressed with the Halo games anyway. I have UT and Q3 for the PS2 and admittedly they don't have online play (Q3 has neither LAN nor keyboard/mouse support), but I'd sooner play those, and believe me, that's saying something. Not to mention that damned Xbox controller ... Banging Head against Wall

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: