2024-04-28, 09:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about choosing majors  (Read 6792 times)
Lunatic Guy

« on: 2003-06-12, 12:22 »

What should I be majoring in if I am interested in making games?

Or what about making skins/textures for games?

What should I major in if I go to a university?

Thanks very much.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-12, 13:20 »

In general, any major that has a LOT of programming. Also, a few art classes would help you develop drawing skills, which can be applied to skinning/making textures. I hope that helped out a little bit =]
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-13, 00:51 »

Found this on Gamespy, it might be of interest.

http://www.gamespy.com/qna/june03/hoekstra5/

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-13, 02:30 »

From the site:

"I've gone from website to website looking at job requirements and noticed a lot of companies with opportunities for 3D modelers, cinematic artists, and texture artists are looking for people with 2-3 years experience in the field already and at least one published game under their belt."

Programming... does it requires a lot of maths and science?

And what about graphic design then?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-13, 21:33 »

@ OSU, there are two main routes to go as far as computer programming goes - CIS (Computer & Information Science) or CSE (Computer Science & Engineering).

CIS is done thru the college of arts, and requires you to take math up to 366, and lotsa CIS (programming, comp-related) classes.

CSE is pretty much the same thing, but thru the college of engineering. They tack on all kinds of difficult classes, like you have to take electrical engineering up to the 567 series, math up to 566 and you've gotta take a few physics/chemistry classes too.

CSE will yield you a wider range of jobs you can apply your skills to, but if your heart yearns for just the gaming industry, then CIS would be the way to go. As for graphic design, there are engineering classes will teach you how to use CAD programs, and art classes that'll help you out on your art skills.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #5 on: 2003-06-14, 05:47 »

Whoah! That means I still would have to know a lot of maths, like calculus?

Is there any way of only majoring in making the skins/textures for games?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-06-14, 22:00 »

start doing your on job and practise .
start making models , textures, maps and all the other shit .

the people of serious sam wanned tabun to work for them .
but he denied (he didnt know it was a good game )
lillazkicker . also got offered a job andhe also denied and cried himself to sleep to )
even lee got a job offered (he accepted

the point is. if you post a lot of your work on the internet and you keep practising if your lucky you will get a job offered after a while .

if you then work for a year for them you can chose , staying with them (if you hae made friennds ) or moving on to bIgger companies. )

(I wanna work in ritual ).
home above a bar
and they have this cool guy there ,the lvelord (he made the first spacemap hipdm1 and the first rats map  spry.
Kenny_WHS

Team Member
Pinky

« Reply #7 on: 2003-06-15, 14:12 »

Ok time for a Kenny rant! Slipgate - Tongue

But first a disclaimer, when it comes to college, I am a bitter and jaded man who has come to the conclusion that most academic institutions are businesses just like everything else.  They are there  to at least maintain stability for its employees and its own reputation ahead of the student.  Most professors don't care about teaching since they have to teach a class of 100 people who would rather be partying than attending class, but the mighty GPA keeps those students in class.  Simply put, your whole being is reduced to a number between 0.0 and 4.0, something that does not define a human being in my mind, and most interestingly enough not in most companies minds either..  I have seen too many people who have walked out of college with a 4.0 GPA and honors, and those people DID NOT LAND A JOB UPON GRADUATION!  I, on the other hand, only have a high school education and some state college under my belt, but I have a really nice job here in San Francisco.  For me, dropping out and getting my hands dirty was the best thing possible.  I am learning A LOT more every day here in this environment than I ever learned in the confining environment that was my entire school career.  Now I must state that my personality does not lend well to obeying orders without question, which is what school is all about.  It is a test to see how well and how far you are willing to follow directions, a requirement in the "office space" style work environment that permeates this country needs.  However, the path I took is not for everybody,  I had to make 3 years of mistakes, both financial and social, before I wound up in my current situation.   I can't promise that taking the risks I took will work for you, but I can save you a lot of heart attacks along the way regardless of the decision you make.  Ok, disclaimer over.

Here are some things you need to know before going into games.

Simply ask yourself: What do you want to do in gaming?

Saying "I want to work in games" is all well and good, but in this era of 20 - 30 man teams or bigger, you are going to have to specialize.  Do you want to program or do you want to make art?  This question is not as obvious as it seems.  Many game dev companies are using other peoples engines or "Middleware" to speed up development times and use less coding time.  This saves the development company a lot of money by not hiring as many full time coders on the team.  Also, as levels and models get more complex, the art departments of most game companies will expand a lot over the next few years.  The drawback there is that defining wether art is "good" or "bad" is subjective at best, not to mention so far, the pay is not nearly as good as  a excellent coder.

I will state right now that unless a miracle happens, you will NOT get a position such as "Project Lead" or "Lead Producer" off the bat.  Noboby hires those people the first time unless you happen to fill that position in a previous project with a proven track record.  (See: Warren Spector, *gulp* John Romero, American Megee, Etc....)

If you want to program, non gaming and gaming schools will teach you the basics of C or C++.  Insist on C or C++, preferably both.  These languages are currently at the core of game development, and I might add C is loosing a lot of ground.  However, after basic C++ you are kind of on your own.   Here is the thing on most academic institutions think about game programming:  It is kids stuff.  I am not kidding, even though the IDSA claims that the games industry is worth about $28 billion, most professors will not teach you a thing about games or game programing, mainly because if they could program a renderer themselves, they would not be working at a university.  Most likely they will then begin to teach you useless database stuff,  this is when you start to work on your own stuff.  The major areas of game engines can be divided into the following:

1. Renderer
2. Physics
3. Network code (if multiplayer)

Render code is what Carmack is very famous for.  He lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff.  Get a book on basic OpenGL and/or Direct3D.  Also learn a high level shader language such as Cg,HLSL,orOpenGL 2.0.

Too many people underestimate the importance of physics.  Yes even development houses.  This is why an average Havok 2 physics engine licence costs $50,000.  If you can program Newtonian mechanics into game engines, many companies will consider this a BIG plus.  Your school might have a couple real-time simulation classes to cover this.  They might use it under the excuse of disaster simulation or something like it.  We all know you really want to use it for games. Slipgate - Laugh

I am sure Warden and Phoenix can tell you about optimizing the weapons in Gen for as little network lag as possible.  Being able to write stuff like that will give you MAJOR props in the industry.

Well what about art?  Art is content, content, and more content.  The more, and higher quality of course,  you create, the better.  I would SERIOUSLY learn Photoshop 7.0, 3D studio Max 6(out in September, you did not hear this from me :unsure:....), and Maya 5.  Lightwave is also good, but used a little less in the industry.  (Although, their UVW unwrap R0X0r5!!!!1 Slipgate - Laugh )  Do learn a mapping tool such as GTK Radient as well.  I would like to state that the modeling programs I have listed above come with AMAZING tutorials, so use them. Slipgate - Tongue

Ok, now that you know all this stuff, how do you get a job with it?  To a certain degree I am asking myself the same question, but I will give you what I have found out.  

Network, network, network.  Your university will do almost NOTHING to ensure your success in the games industry, they almost don't care about their graduates in general, but placing you in a specific position within a specific industry is not their goal, making sure you meet their employment quota of 95% is.  I can't stress enough how important it is to know people inside the industry.  The only way to handle that is to meet other developers and impress them.  DO NOT ASK THEM FOR A JOB!!!  Remember, you want them to want you.  If you have a local IGDA chapter, attend the meetings and become a student member.  Do not be afraid to talk to real world developers.  Show them your enthusiasm for whatever you are working on at the time.  Nothing quite makes a conversation starter like "I am trying to tackle the problem of interaction between real time dynamic light sources and volumetric fog, I was thinking of using a voxel based system to replace partial opacity in the fog itself, do you have any ideas about this?" (This is assuming you are talking to a render god Slipgate - Laugh )

If your community does not have an IGDA chapter, see if you can start one and hopefully bring in guest speakers.  Attend trade shows and do similar networking.  Yes, this includes Quakecon. However, if you can only attend one trade show go to  Game Developers Conference in San Jose, CA.   The developers are very accessible and talkative there without all the hype of E3.

Well I am really freaking tired right now so I will add a list of books you can read to help teach you this stuff later...first some Guiness... Having a Beer and then bed..... Slipgate - Asleep
redx

Imp

« Reply #8 on: 2003-06-16, 02:29 »

i plan on a career in the game industry myself, and will going to texas tech for a degree in computer engeneering. hopefully ill be able to transfer to a&m next year as it is higher ranked as these things go. but anyway. if you want to program computer games a degree in computer engeneering is the way to go. (comp eng is par cs part ee fyi) as games become more and more advanced it will become more and more important that a programmer not just be able to write code, but to be able to understand and  interact with the hardware on a very low level. this covers that. i hope to graduate with a bachelors or possibly masters. also, experience helps. ive been working on creating my own game from scratch (code as well as art) for some time now, and its is unbeleivable how much i have learned. i had very little idea what i was doing when i started out, but just kept writting and re-writting, learning as i went. this type of experementation is just as important as your learning in college. anyway, im tired and i dont know how much sense this made but i hope it helps!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-06-16, 08:10 »

I only agree with Kenny slightly on the college rant, but for the rest of it, he hit the nail on the head;

(In summary)
 + Learn to use programs used in the industry
 + Learn some C++ (I know I will soon)
 + Network! Advertise/showcase your good stuff - make a portfolio for yourself

College is more or less a general guideline that'll help you learn what you need to know. Also, it's a good way to go about looking into various specializations without dedicating yourself to something specific before it's too late to change your mind (most people can change majors much easier than good jobs). In addition to that, getting good college grades gives you more credability for having good work ethics depending on the major - a 4.0 is near-impossible for CSE majors here at OSU, whereas something like being a major in humanities (one of the more mediocre paths of education) is fairly realistic.

You probably do not need college if:
 - You can motivate yourself (bust your own balls) to get a job skillfully done in a timely manner
 - You can educate yourself well with books
 - You can be consistently proficent in what you do when needed

I'd defintiely go for college, unless you are SURE (not merely confident) that you fit the description of a person who probably doesn't need college to get into a decent job.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: