2024-04-16, 19:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A must-read (For those into politics)  (Read 6317 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-05-30, 05:02 »

http://www.uwire.com/content/topops052505002.html

I won't quote anything, just read it.  This is about the most sensible viewpoint I've heard in a long time, and I applaud this fellow for having a brain and using it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-30, 07:46 »

"In all seriousness, I don't hate President Bush. I dislike a lot of his administration's choices, but I think he's a good man doing a difficult job. As a leader, you're always going to be hated. I am too often shocked by the vitriolic repulsion many people feel for our leader and America in general, especially because the loathing is often poorly informed."

That was the best quote of the article. The rest was mostly agreeable until he got the liberal hatred remarks at the end which make me feel like ranting. I hate that so much... liberal this, liberal that. You're a liberal!... they treat it as if they're calling you something worse than the worst evil imaginable. Well f|_|ck you, you piece of shit. All I have to say due to not feeling like arguing with someone who won't be able to respond (the author of the article).

Edit if you wish, I don't care. I'm not.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-30, 07:47 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-30, 10:45 »

So kill Cheney and all of Bush's men too. Sounds reasonable to me.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-30, 10:45 by McDeth » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-30, 14:24 »

Nah, just Cheney. What use is a president without his brains? *sarcasm

I totally agree that assassination is NOT the way to get rid of any political knob-ends for the very reasons given in this article. Martyrdom just helps their cause. Bush gets biffed and the next thing you know is more and more people start winding on about how great he was. That's the last thing that anyone on the anti-war side would want or need.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-31, 02:18 »

Liberalism has to be more than a college fad or a collection of loudmouths whose idiotic comments stir headlines. The rabid dislike some people feel for a man they've never even met makes me ashamed to be a Democrat.

Spawn:  What you're missing is the guy writing the article is a Democrat.  He is himself a liberal, what he's saying is that liberalism as currently defined has strayed from what it should be.  Your flying off the handle here is only illustrating his point about the degree of irrational reactionism that's infecting people opposed to the Bush administration.  Stop and think for a minute.  What's motivating your anger, the label or the stereotype that's been assigned to it?  And further, what have people been doing to earn that stereotype?  The term "liberal" is just a word representing a socio-political philosophy, but the current crop of people representing it is what's troubling this fellow.  Think about it, if you're a Democrat who would you prefer to have representing your party, someone with the stature of JFK, or some of the rabid screaming nutcases on the 11:00 news at the latest anti-Bush protest?

Ever hear the term fundamentalist?  What pops into your mind?  Yet the term really means someone who adheres to the basics of their system of beliefs, nothing more, nothing less.  A "extremist" and a "fundamentalist" are diametrically opposed by definition, but the terms are now used to mean the same thing.  Society transforms words from their original meaning, and chooses what words mean in order to alter perception and affect opinion.  The social philosophy of liberalism as defined by its founders is radically different from what it has become in practice today.  That's the crux of this guy's frustration and argument.  I fully understand and sympathize with this fellow, he just wants some sanity is all.  He's not attacking anyone.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-31, 12:54 »

Damn straight, Pho. Society needs to get itself a bloody dictionary. This harkens back to the thread about that daft law passed in New Jersey about the unlicensed guns. With people like that in positions of power it's no wonder that people see liberalism as a bad idea.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-31, 14:30 »

The problem ofcourse is that by defending sanity, you attack the insane. And since the definition of sanity is determined by the (very same) masses, this is unpractical. Sadly.

It's hard to keep the true (or, more falsifiable, the original) meaning of a word. A good example of that is 'argument' (as in 'having an argument'), which in popular use has come to have negative connotations and associations (a fight, a struggle, opposition, clash etc), whereas in scientific / original understanding it's a very positive thing; namely, the act of effective reasoning, reason-giving, seeking the assent of an audience and the analysis of claims in co-operation.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-31, 17:38 »

Quite clever, using my own analagy to unravel my absolute.  What's even better is you're right as well.  You've done in two sentences what a lot of conversational opponents of mine have failed to do with entire volumes.  Slipgate - Smile~

However, I think we can agree that irrational reactive responses based upon misinformed and/or uninformed prejudice are undesireable.  Would that be a more suitable assertion for this context?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-31, 18:27 »

Certainly, I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. If only everyone were unbiased and well-informed.. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-03, 00:31 »

The stereotype is all I ever think about any more when someone other than me says the word 'liberal'.. because it's the popular view.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: