2024-03-29, 13:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: "that class is so unfair" (Isn't that just irritating?)  (Read 12275 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2005-06-23, 09:26 »

To be honest i think we passed the "sprite" age. it's time to move on and use all that new tech! Slipgate - Smile
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #21 on: 2005-06-23, 14:48 »

Sprites stopped with Quake for some reason, and that was that technology provided the essential material and resources to evolve from an era to another. Sprites are over for good (in models) and I'm glad they're over.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-06-23, 14:54 »

That's odd, because last time I launched up Doom, I loved those sprites. And that will never be different. They're part of the nostalgia-element, Kruzader/Boots! :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2005-06-23, 16:08 »

I've tried playing Doom with the model packs for Doomsday, and I absolutely hated it.  The character that made Doom what it was is firmly meshed in with the sprites.  Who didn't love it the first time they blew up a barrel and turned a zombie inside-out?

I also hate to tell you that Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 Arena all use sprites, and Quake 3 uses them more heavily than either of the previous Quakes.  Some examples:

Quake 1:  Rocket and grenade explosions.
Quake 2:  BFG10K ball (actually it's the old BFG9000 sprite, you can tell in software mode)
Quake 3 Arena:  Plasma, rocket, and BFG impacts, plasma balls, BFG projectile (partial, has a model trail effect on it), shotgun smoke puffs, haste puffs, etc.

Generations Arena uses even more sprites since we have even more projectiles.  Oh, fancy particle effects, like in Doom 3?  Guess what, technically particles are sprites too.  You'll never fully be rid of them.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: