2024-03-28, 21:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge Ass Signatures (Finally a place for off-topic)  (Read 5828 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2005-07-02, 17:34 »

Tabun -EDIT of the EDIT - The image, wich now is the only thing in my sig, has 150 pixels. Is it still THAT horrible?
« Last Edit: 2005-07-02, 17:53 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-02, 17:44 »

Let's just make this the signature discussion topic then, since continueing a closed topic is stupid.

And you know what we should do with HUGE-ASS signatures? ;]

Observe:

Figure 1: Huge-Ass-Signatures

Now, Let's do some interesting math here:

84 pixels is the message (that is, a message in HUGE lettering - making it twice the size in height of the same message in normal type -  so keep that in mind).
285 pixels is the signature.

First, the difference: 201 pixels. The signature is TWO-HUNDRED-AND-ONE pixels higher than the actual message.
Then, the ratio: 1:3.39. The actual message fits almost THREE AND A HALF times in the signature.

I propose we put a stop to this around now, and limit signature height to, say, ~100 pixels or so? perhaps ~120. Anything including text should not exceed 150 pixels. Come to think of it, I consider my signature to be ridiculously high, actually. Anything over that means that all that scrolling you will do, will be mostly because 3/4ths of any page is signature...
« Last Edit: 2005-07-02, 17:44 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-02, 17:51 »

Okay, so let's look at yours, Kruz:

Figure 2: Also Significantly Large Assed

153 vs 205 pixels. That makes your signature still a great deal larger than your (average) post. It is also quite bright and bold, and could easily convey the same message while being about 1/5th the size.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-02, 19:10 »

Here's some good baselines to work with:
My signature is 144 pixels, including text and graphics.
Tabun's signature is 175 pixels.
ConfusedUs's signature is 173 pixels.

I'm counting total area from the little dashed line to the bottom edge of the text box.  Really a signature should be no taller than what Tab's got, text and picture.  Here's a few more helpful guidelines:

A signature should tell us something about yourself, your likes, or your thoughts.
A signature should not be excessively visually distracting.  Remember the focus of a forum is on what people write.
A signature should not be a 500k flash animation that bogs down a website (we'll prune those without asking)
A signature should not be vulgar, crude, or involve language not approved for all audiences.
A signature should not be a political soap box or attack ad (we'll prune those without asking too).
A signature should not be an advertisement for a competing mod, product, or anything else that might really irk the forum admins.
Animations are generally a no-no.  Phoenix can have his animated because it's not excessively annoying and he's a Lord of the Arena.

We have nothing against signatures.  We like them, or we'd not permit them on the boards.  We just want to have a good balance so the actual meat isn't drowned by the sauce.
« Last Edit: 2005-07-02, 19:12 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-02, 20:02 »

Just to get something cleared up before we use my sig as a means to set a maximum height: It's 136 pixels high at the tallest I can make it.. I don't know how it can appear as 175 on your setup, but that's certainly not desireable... Can you make me a screenshot, so I can try and fix it?

It should look like this, btw:

I agree with everything stated in Phoenix's post. We don't want to 'ban' sigs, because they liven up the boards, but let's keep it a sane undertaking.
« Last Edit: 2005-07-02, 20:12 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-03, 01:25 »

I see what happened.  The spacing under the signature varies slightly in each page post.  I took my screenshot from this topic and this is how it ended up:
« Last Edit: 2005-07-03, 01:26 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-03, 03:43 »

I've reduced mine. Sorry for the trouble guys. Was testing it out at the time and seeing how it goes.
« Last Edit: 2005-07-03, 03:47 by Footman » Logged
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-03, 07:31 »

I limit myself to 150 pixels for my image. Then I also have 1 line of text under it, so whatever. If you don't like it, screw ya then... Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-03, 11:49 »

Is it good now? 315x100 + 1 line of text? Or should i remove the text line?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-03, 14:22 »

Remove the spacing and it's perfect, Kruz.

Btw, I don't know what is causing that random extra spacing Pho, but I'll see if I can prevent it from happening :]

edit: Never mind, I see what's causing that. If the content of the avatar-box is taller than the post itself, the latter gets stretched. Since not everyone is seeing IP-addresses like we are, I don't think that happens as often for everyone else Pho ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-07-03, 14:27 by Tabun » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: