2024-04-30, 04:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombings in London  (Read 13798 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2005-07-07, 16:31 »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07...tube/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Four explosions in London's transport system have killed at least 40 people and wounded dozens more in what UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said was an apparent terrorist attack.

A previously unknown group, calling itself the Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organization in Europe laid claim to the blasts, posting a statement on an Islamist web site a few hours after the explosions. The claim could not be independently verified.

I don't get this. How can this still happen? After all that has happened...
« Last Edit: 2005-07-07, 16:50 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-07, 16:51 »

Because there is still evil in the world, and people who are willing to kill anyone and everyone to try and have their way.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
t0ts

Imp

« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-07, 21:01 »

dont they have security? if so then did they just stand back and let it happen?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-07, 21:03 »

Turns out now there were 4 bombs, and one was on a bus.
a lot of people have been killed. I beleive that the final bomber couldn't get on a train as the underground system had been closed, so he/she got on a full bus, it being full because the trains were off.

We must never give in.

news: they think they have found another bomb. don't know what yet.
your man on the spot - shambler
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-07, 21:06 »

Quote from: t0ts
Don't be silly

sorry about the double post, not in a good mood.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-07, 21:46 »

Quote from: t0ts
I was at the "Make Poverty History" rally in Edinburgh on Saturday. As we got off the boat at Stranraer on Friday we were subjected to the most stringent checks on ourselves, our luggage and were made to fill out pink cards with our names, occupations, inside leg measurements, etc and also made to announce our names to a video camera, all as part of the Prevention of Terrorism Act. The police even used bomb dogs to sniff out the 3 coaches we were on for any sign of terrorist-related material. The passengers on the 3 coaches included women, children and OAPs.

They found a Palestinian flag.

The over-zealous police presence was all too evident in the centre of Edinburgh too, with cops all over the place (perhaps even as provocation, but I digress). Admittedly there was trouble on Monday and yesterday, but the Saturday march went off with few hitches.

So, with all of this (including half of Scotland Yard) in place to protect the G8 leaders from the masses, I can't help but see the irony that a terrorist attack planned for during the summit takes place in London, right under the government's nose.

Nonetheless, my condolences go out to those affected by the attacks. Not since the peak of the IRA bombings has London seen such carnage. It will be interesting to see how civil liberties will be further affected by today's events.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-07, 23:13 »

Lets hope the UK has more character as a nation than Spain.
NovAReapeR

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-07, 23:56 »

What do terrorists hope to accomplish by this? i mean, why do they do it? do they think they'll be hailed and feared throughout the world? "OH I JUST BLEW UP A BUS WITH A BOMB! NOW, ALL U PEONS BOW BEFORE ME-*gunfire*" Seriously. if you want to be a terrorist and bomb stuff go play CS.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-08, 01:37 »

One of the goals of terrorism is to get to the government (or whatever the real target is) through the people. If enough people are afraid and know some kind of fear in their daily lives, terrorism works. It feeds on brainwashed 'martyrs' and produces fear. Another goal is provocation, and there's more.
It's a coldly calculated but unpredictable strategy, but it's obvious that it accomplishes something for the offender(s).

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-08, 04:07 »

Everyone in London and all of the UK really has my condolences and my best wishes.  I am lucky to have never gone through such a tradgedy, and I am still very thankful to this day that my uncle wasn't working on the windows of the World Trade Center towers when the planes collided with them.  Like Scalliano said, I wonder how this event will affect civil liberties in England and probably the USA as well, but I think it's best to square away the damage and the injured first before worrying about that.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2005-07-08, 06:10 »

It only works when someone capitulates.  You can partially thank Spain for this.  Since Spain's election and subsequent change in policy, the terrorists figure "Well golly gee, if it worked there, it'll work elsewhere" and they stepped up their program for other spots in Europe.  What they've forgotten is that the UK has dealt with terrorist bombings for the last few decades courtesy of the IRA.  I don't think they're going to ge the results they expected.  England is a funny place, and Brits, historically, don't tend to take things on the chin and then go hide in a hole afterwards.  It just might strengthen the resolve of the Brits to go further on the offensive.  I'm expecting this whole thing to backfire.  They may have just set off a firecracker in a hornet's nest.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #11 on: 2005-07-08, 09:25 »

I doubt that Spain will continue in peace for much longer. I think that there is no way to accomplish peace with terrorists. They do anything to reach their objectives and since the ETA hasn't reached their objectives, they will one day or another continue their plans. About England : I agree with Phoenix - They didn't gave up in worser situations, so we can expect some kind of reaction from them.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2005-07-08, 22:59 »

Just keep watching the news.

We've taken on bigger bad men than these and had blacker days. This will make us stronger.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-07-09, 00:38 »

Well, Tony Blair is no Neville Chamberlain.  The questions is, what about the rest of the British government?  I don't know the political situation there.  Historically the British haven't ever backed down from a fight that involves the Isle itself.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2005-07-12, 21:56 »

Update:
we have found out who they were.  3 are dead in the blasts, and one more was arrested today,  for planning etc.

This all happened 2 miles from my house. they lived up the road from me! They were britsh born pakistanis i understand from the bbc.

weak minds that wanted to be important, or belong to something.  

I won't say anything more  on this subject, unless local news digs up anything.

live long and prosper.

late news for those you don't know.
We got them. 1 in birmingham, 2 in london and 1 in rome. all had run and hid. how brave. Over now until the next time............
« Last Edit: 2005-07-29, 23:51 by shambler » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #15 on: 2005-07-13, 10:04 »

Quote from: NovAReapeR
What do terrorists hope to accomplish by this?

Update.
I live 200 miles north of London. Yorkshire is a quiet county, with a mixed population. The water is good and clean from the hills and the air is the same. The people are plain speaking and honest and its the greenest city in europe, I seem to have read somewhere.

Its a bit like the shire from the lord of the rings, hence the name: 'shire and yorkshire'.

We don't get bombs up here much. But 2 at least of these men went to my school (where I teach) a few years ago. they were discribed as 'normal healthy young men' not religous or fanatical in any way. they were into sports and one of the lads familys reported him missing on the day of the attacks, cos he had gone missing.

What had been done to them to make them do this?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2005-07-13, 12:58 »

like nutbags and shitbirds  need a good reason to do wierd things.
« Last Edit: 2005-07-13, 12:58 by Woodsman » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2005-07-13, 13:24 »

Part of the key to this sort of thing is the ability for those involved to blend into society. We see it not only in connection to acts of terrorism, but also as an integral part of guerilla warfare, We saw it in places like Vietnam, and a current example would be the tactics employed by those still fighting with the Allied forces in Iraq.

Where coordinated acts of terrorism such as the one in London are concerned, I am in no doubt that a degree of training/brainwashing would be involved, but you really need to be a certain kind of person to willfully blow up yourself and potentially many other innocent bystanders because you're pissed off at something a government is doing. With the exception of Spain, all it's gonna do is piss them off even more. Just look at Israel.

My message to any would-be suicide bombers is this: Martyrdom is given, not acquired.
« Last Edit: 2005-07-13, 13:27 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-07-13, 15:03 »

Look at the BTK killer, he was "the perfect citizen" for years.  Nobody suspected anything, even police officers who had worked along side the man.  Certain people are capable of appearing completely normal on the outside, and being twisted, perverted, and psychotic on the inside.  Many serial killers appear to be upstanding citizens, but they're wired differently and have no reservations about killing.  When you look at people who are willing to blow themselves up to accomplish their goal, then the goal is all that matters to them.  They've been subject to conditioning, either self-induced or brought on by an outside entity, in this case whoever recruited them into the terror cell.  This isn't a case of a desperate enemy going kamikaze as a last resort, this is a methodical, planned move.  Brainwashing is exactly what these people have been through, only it is entirely voluntary.  They want to do this.

This leads me to my second point.  You mention the Israelis... People need to start looking at suicide bombers the way the IDF looks at them.  The IDF and Israeli Intelligence views suicide bombers as weapons, not humans with bombs strapped to them.  They are a slow-moving, cloaked guided missile, nothing else.  This kind of weapon is an explosive device with a human brain for the guidance system, and a human body for the delivery mechanism.  If that sounds cold, well it should.  These bombers sold their humanity when they decided to start down this path, so it's time the world stops questioning their motives and starts developing a defensive plan to counter them.  If you keep looking at them as people and trying to understand them you'll never be rid of them.  They don't need to be understood, they need to be stopped.  Nothing short of that is acceptible.
« Last Edit: 2005-07-13, 15:03 by Phoenix » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2005-07-14, 09:06 »

Quote from: Phoenix
<font color=#FFFF00>Look at the BTK killer, he was "the perfect citizen" for years.  Nobody suspected anything, even police officers who had worked along side the man.  Certain people are capable of appearing completely normal on the outside, and being twisted, perverted, and psychotic on the inside.
This is true, but were they always madmen, or does something just click inside them, and they become madmen? I think some are like that.

anyway...

It has come out that one of these men was a teaching assistant at a primary school that feeds to our secondary school. Thank God he didn't set off a bomb in an assembly of 500 children.

They are still looking for the 'mastermind' but rumour is that hes fled the country to pakistan. How brave..............................................

In about 1850 when the british caught muslims instaed of just hanging them, they beried them with bacon in thier mouths, so they would not go to muslim heaven. This must have put off a few. I'm not suggesting this today mind, But woodsman would.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: