2024-04-28, 22:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Education...  (Read 4551 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-02-22, 20:28 »

In his 1905 dissertation for Columbia Teachers College, Elwood Cubberly?the future Dean of Education at Stanford?wrote that schools should be factories "in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products...manufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."
http://www.thememoryhole.org/edu/school-mission.htm

Read the rest of the article.  It's a real eye opener for anyone who still thinks the old feudal aristocratic system is dead, along with slavery.  Ahh, but then the best slaves are those who think they're still free.  For the thinking person, it's there to accept or reject as you will.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-22, 21:31 »

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes:

"Here's 'Love Connection', watch this and get fat and stupid ..." - Bill Hicks

The whole process of learning is about asking questions, evaluation, re-evalution, looking at things from a number of perspectives, challenging them, etc. That's how our minds evolve. Without the ability to do these things, we might as well still have corporal punishment. Or public stonings.

Britain, on the other hand, has an easier solution: charge students an extra ?3,000 in top-up tuition fees so nobody can afford not to be stupid.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-23, 22:52 »

It's ridiculous. The number of students per class is irrational, making the teachers waste more than 15 mins on shutting up 25-30 students at the same time, which is obviously impossible, but at least we here have a different timing for classes. Classes are given in blocks of 45 minutes. After 2 blocks in a row, we have a 15 min recess. I believe that this way, classes are more rentable. I used to have 50 min of classes, then a 5 min recess in which the only thing a person could do is wait in the classroom.

Also, I agree that education has been somewhat industrialized for the past years. But it is only conditions our freedom. You could still choose not to be educated and even if you were on the process of being educated, you could still choose to stop being educated.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-22, 18:30 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] you could still choose to stop being educated.
This happens a lot in the UK. People choose to be ignorant. it's thier right.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-22, 20:26 »

And are they not happy?

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-22, 23:25 »

Phoenix: "Ahh, but then the best slaves are those who think they're still free."

I say that about everything. So... Amen, brother.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: