2024-04-19, 01:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on getting a computer  (Read 5737 times)
Visimar

Archvile

« on: 2006-02-26, 15:17 »

Well, since I actually live with my mom (And I probably will for the next several years Slipgate - Exhausted) and I can't get a job as of yet, I have to rely on her to get me stuff. About a week or so ago she got her tax thingie filed, so it's only a short manner of time before I'm able to grab a system for me to use again. Slipgate - Laugh

I have the computer picked out, but right now I forgot most of the specs...XD I DO know it's a 2.2GHz comp which comes with 1 GB of RAM (Uppable to 4 GB), and along with it I'm going to get a video card to help run some games better. *cough* QUAKE IV *cough* I'm also buying the special DVD edition of Quake IV along with that, so I can finally play Quake 2 for the first time! Slipgate - Laugh

I'll let you know here when I actually get it and set it up...then again I might forget. XD
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-27, 09:42 »

Want an advise? More RAM! Right now the ammount of RAM that comes with resonable PCs is 1GB, so I'd advise you to get at least +1GB of RAM. Graphics Card, well, as long as it is over the GeForce 6600 &/or the ATI X700 / X1600 (because the X000 series are still quite good), you'll have a very good Framerate. AND blablabla... the rest is less important. Well have fun with your new PC.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-27, 15:25 »

Power supply, too.  You must have a good enough power supply to handle the demands of modern components.  I recommend either an Enermax or Antec if you can, and don't forget a good heatsink and fan!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-28, 10:08 »

Assuming you are building it:

450w-500w power supply (Antec with smartpower is my personal favorite).

1-2 gb dual channel pc3200 ram (Try for some DDR2 actually).

SATA to Raptor HDD.

AMD 64 mother board with a 16X pci-express lane (if you can afford it a dual 16x pci-express lane).

AMD 64 4000+ (X2 is nice to *say* you own, but there really isn't applications out that technically need a dual core chip as of yet).

I'm probably going to get arguement for this, but ATI Radeon 1600x 512mb card or better.

Audigy 4 soundcard.

Gigabig Ethernet Card.

Maybe a wireless card if applicable.

I'm tired as all hell, maybe I'll think of some more ideas in the morning.

Actually, look up the Emachines T6524. It is a pretty decent set for the price as well (I cite consumer reports on this claim).

Beer? I'm down.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-02-28, 21:42 »

Bah, better off getting a 3700+ with a 1MB cache.  The extra 200 MHz for the 4000+ isn't worth the extra $100.  You can easily do a minor OC on a 3700+ to get a 3700+ up to 2.4 GHz (yes I know the multipliers are locked, there are other ways to OC without having to pump the RAM speed up and I know how to do it) without any appreciable heat buildup, so long as you have a good heatsink and fan.  Of course, if blowing an extra $100 isn't a problem, well, no worries.  I try to be a bit budget conscious. Slipgate - Smile

The PSU I'd recommend an Enermax 530 watt or better if you're planning on SLI.  Antec is good too, either one is fine so long as they can crank out 18 amps on each 12 volt rail you should be good.  If you're not planning on SLI, McDeth's suggestion is quite adequate.

Some really good mainboards come with Gig-E built in.  Examples:  Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe/Premium models, etc.  No need for a separate add-in Gig-E if it's standard with the board.  Check your board specs before throwing an additional network card in.

No real nitpicks on the video card, just need to be aware that if you use an ATI card you'll want a system that is designed around Crossfire (ATI's equivalent of SLI) so your mainboard choices will be different from an nVidia-based system.  I prefer nVidia myself, but either vendor has it's ups and downs, and it really depends on what you're intending to run and what you prefer.  If you have no intentions of ever going dual video in the future, well, it's up to you. Slipgate - Smile

The only thing I cringe at is the sound card.  I've not been impressed with Creative Labs for some time now.  Why?  Oh yes, let's see... high system overhead on their drivers and software, several failed CD-Rom drive motors and, what else... Oh, I remember, something about me purchasing a multimedia kit a long while back that included an 8x CD-Rom drive (when 8x CD-Rom's were considered fast) that didn't work right that they refused to honor a warranty claim on because it was a "design flaw" that was creating a balancing issue with discs, which was in turn causing failed reads.  Right... I thought design flaws were considered a MANUFACTURER DEFECT.  I didn't have the kind of capital necessary to sue Creative into oblivion, so the drive got impaled shortly after and they lost my business forever.  The Audigy may or may not be a decent card, but buyer beware when it comes to Creative.

McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-01, 09:41 »

I like the Audigy 4, so sue me.

I'm always a bit weary about overclocking anything, that's why I mostly stick with ATI and that's why I went with the AMD 4000+.

Again, if you aren't building a computer, my original recommendation still stands. Google the Emachine T6524. It is actually built pretty well.

Beer? I'm down.
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-03, 08:15 »

Uhh, I think you were a bit late to say that...I couldn't get back on until today. Slipgate - Exhausted

My mom's really strict on what she can get me, plus she didn't get all that money in the first place (Only $1300 or so), so I had to work with a limited budget. But I have my computer now...I just need to get the specs for it to post here, but I'm a lazy dwaggie. XP

PS...when I tried using mIRC to enter the channel at the IRC server, it said this:

#wirehead unable to join channel (address is banned)

Think you could fix it so that I may enter the channel? I don't wanna use Chatzilla again... >_<

EDIT: Just noticed the typo... "Unlimited budget", lol. Riight...
« Last Edit: 2006-03-03, 17:56 by IceDragonVisy » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-03, 16:44 »

It looks like *dyn.sprint-hsd.net is banned, has been for a while, and unfortunately your hostmask is on this network.  I don't know exactly why this network is banned so I'll ask the other channel mods if they know why.

Edit:  I checked with Warden to see if he knew anything about why these hostmasks were blocked, and then removed the banned hostmasks.  You should be able to join the channel now.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-04, 07:01 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: