2024-03-28, 21:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandwith issues  (Read 3316 times)
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« on: 2006-05-13, 04:46 »

Ok so the past few days my connection speed has just sucked, it's like something on my comp's using my connection and sucking up the bandwith,
is there some way for me to see what's using my internet connection?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-13, 08:45 »

I think some firewalls let you do that. Also, regurarly check your dl limit, to see if something is indeed eating up your connection. And do a virus / spyware scan.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-13, 12:50 »

Wored or wireless? that could be the question. you might be being leeched. I use norton firewall, that lets me list all programs that contact the net. you can list them all.

let us know when you find out what it is.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-13, 17:49 »

Odds are it's the internet being stupid, but there are programs out there that let you monitor what's connecting to the internet.  I know CounterSpy lets you see that sort of thing.  If I happen upon any freeware applications I'll let you know what I find.

You might try resetting your cable/DSL modem, and rebooting your router as well.  Sometimes that works wonders.  I know occasionally cleaning your network cable contacts is a good idea too, especially if you're in a dusty environment and occasionally unplug the system for LAN's, etc.  Just make sure you completely unplug the cable first so you don't create any short conditions.  Just use a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, then let it air dry before reconnecting.

If you're on Wireless, God knows what might be messing it up.  Radio interference, leeching...  of course, if you're on Wireless and you have DHCP set up you should be able to go into your wireless router and see the MAC addresses of all the machines hooked to your network.  If you see anything you don't own, then you'll know what's going on.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-15, 21:03 »

Any one of those things... or it could be that someone forgot to pay the internet bill...   Slipgate - Exhausted
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: