2024-03-28, 21:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pet Names for Women (guy's opinions please)  (Read 6203 times)
Draco

Hell Knight

« on: 2006-06-08, 01:42 »

women could comment on this too, but since it directly deals with guys, i want to know something....

with MANY guys ive met over the net or in public or etc etc....ive been called chick, baby, babe, and so on.....but on particular name kind of confuses me...

sweetheart. isnt sweetheart something that you would call your girlfriend? sometimes i get the impression that they call me sweetheart because im way younger than them. i mean like today, someone i met on guid wars calls me sweetheart and i dont even know the guy. and only today did he find out im not 16. he had some idea i was 16 when in reality im almost 21.

any thoughts guys? i mean is the pet name "sweeatheart" just like any other pet name for women....or is it for other reasons?

just really curious here, cuz being called chick and baby is one thing, but for some reason it kind of bothers me when guys call me sweetheart cuz it feels like they're talking "down" to me or pretend im their girlfriend or something...

please...enlighten me

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-08, 02:11 »

"Sweetheart" is what I would call my aunt, or something like that. I wouldn't use that nick for my girlfriend (unless she was over fourty or under twelve). "Chick" and "babe" don't bother you, but "sweetheart" does? That's odd, the latter has less male chauvinist connotations for me.
Don't worry though, eight ouf of ten guys you meet on the net will pretend you're their girlfriend, one way or the other. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-08, 04:34 »

Quote from: Tabun
"Sweetheart" is what I would call my aunt, or something like that. I wouldn't use that nick for my girlfriend (unless she was over fourty or under twelve). "Chick" and "babe" don't bother you, but "sweetheart" does? That's odd, the latter has less male chauvinist connotations for me.
Don't worry though, eight ouf of ten guys you meet on the net will pretend you're their girlfriend, one way or the other. :]
well such things as chick babe and baby i find a compliment actually Slipgate - Wink cuz if they're willing to call me that they find me sexy....yeah i know its stupid. but hey, take compliments where you can get them.

but see your opinion has only proved how i felt abotu the nick "sweetheart". you would only call your aunt that huh? usually i use to term sweetheart to when im counseling kids way younger then me when they need advice on chirstian forums. thats why i feel kind of degraded when someone calls me that cuz it feels like they're me it out of respect of acting like im some sweet little innocent girl.....

which im not >_>

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-08, 05:03 »

I've never really fully understood "pet" names myself, but it is my experience that such names change and evolve over time.  Culturally you get different levels of acceptence, and different names used depending on where you hail from.  The internet changes all this since cultural lines get blurred, and the internet is a bit of a culture of its own (with an infinite number of subcultures I might add).  Different pet names historically have been used for different levels of familiarity, but again this is constantly changing.

Now regarding internet use of names...  that's a tough one because there's so many unknowns.  The age of the people you are dealing with may be unknown, as can be your age to them.  The intentions of the person in question also come to mind.  Are they just being friendly and using what is, to them, a common term for a friend of opposite gender, or are they trying to flirt, do they look up or down toward you, etc?  Unfortunately it's something you have to discern from context.

Personally I don't think pet names like "baby" and "sweetheart", et all should be directed toward people who are merely acquaintences.  They carry a weight of familiarity that may not be appropriate.  Again, culture blurs this though.  How many people talk along the lines of "Hey baby, wassup?" now, thanks to the record and movie industry?

well such things as chick babe and baby i find a compliment actually cuz if they're willing to call me that they find me sexy....yeah i know its stupid. but hey, take compliments where you can get them.

Just be careful that they're not being condescending or being womanizers.  There are a lot of males who find a lot of females sexy and will "sweet talk" but do not care one bit about the person.  There are a lot of dirtballs out there who will say just about anything.[/color]

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-08, 05:17 »

I tend to refer to most females as "chicks," but I don't mean it in a derogatory sense.  It's just a speech quirk I picked up from my sister.

Now as far as "sweetheart" goes, that's far too sappy for my taste.  However, I've seen several people refer to their friends as "sweetie" or "baby."  Personally, I'm not one for pet names.  The only one I could imagine myself using is the word "hon."  Still, I'd much rather just call you by your actual name or perhaps a nick-name.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-08, 07:32 »

I use 'hon', 'sweetie', and 'love'... and only towards my significant other... the rest are too derogatory for me. 'Baby' just astounds me, really. How anyone can like being called that, I dunno... guess it's something I'll never understand. I guess that's due to the modern world tho.. I can't imagine using 'baby' and having it sound even remotely respectful.

Now I've been called 'sweetheart' before.. but never by a random friend or aquiantance.

I just don't really understand pet names in public when meeting random people.. and also toward friends.. comes off as being completely disrespectful (in my eyes). Everyone just wants some, so they come off as trying to sound suave (women too). Again, I guess that's thanks to the modern world.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-08, 07:34 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-08, 08:22 »

ah okay that makes senes. just was wondering though cuz ive been called alot of names in my life including b!$#@ Slipgate - Wink

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-08, 15:38 »

i Called her  b!$#@ the other day at the movies  HeadBanging
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-08, 17:19 »

I avoid pet names like the plague for fear of a slap in the face / sexual harassment suit / both.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-08, 18:05 »

I agree that the whole "baby" thing doesn't make sense.  That would be like me calling my mate "hatchling".  That would be confusing, and certainly inaccurate.  I never understood why human females that are of specific body proportion are referred to as "babes" either, since it is also a term that means infant.  I realize people use these terms in this manner, but as to why, beyond the herd logic of perpetuating a thing without question, I am at a loss.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-08, 20:54 »

Erm.... no comment on that "hatchling" bit.....  Slipgate - Smirk

I personally think it's rude to call women babes or chicks, as if they are some object to handle incessantly. Women are people too. They have names you know, I don't know any woman named "baby" myself.
I hate it when some gangster loser with his 5 feet long shirt down to his legs calls his girl friend baby, incessantly. I assume that sooner or later that he will forget her name.

I also hate it when people call someone "Woman". As in.

"Watch out Woman!"

Damnit it drives me insane, I just want to impale them with their own spinal cord.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-08, 23:04 »

I often call Helen 'my woman' if I'm talking to someone else, e.g. 'My woman is meeting me at the cinema at 3.30' rather than partner, which sounds like cowboys to me. but we're old hippies, and we've done it most of our lives.

on the sweetheart thing,  it des not happen here, except as an insult, like 'sweetie' or other sexist type comments, meant to imply lack of intelligence in the woman. e.g a bimbo.

Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-09, 03:15 »

heh well thats odd. women do the same thing with their bf's. pretty much all my bf's ive called baby, but not in an infant sense....its just been taken up as another teenage slang i guess but i still use the term toward bf's since they also call me it Slipgate - Smile dont know.

however i can see how women would be against being called someones "woman" cuz techinically a being doesnt belong to anyone....however ive used women do the same thing calling their bf's "my man". i think its more of a personal sexual preference than an actual insult or a sexual bigist term.

think its just situational. id rather be called babe, or baby then pumpkin.....cuz again...like sweetheart, pumpkin is a nick i consider to use with little girls and sometimes little boys.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-09, 04:52 »

When I was called sweetheart it was because I did something nice for no real reason other than to do something nice. "You're such a sweetheart", etc. I never actually use it myself tho.. preferring a simple "You're so sweet" instead. Forgot to explain last time.

Altho that's a bit different than how it's used in gangster movies.. like.. "Hey, sweetheart"..
« Last Edit: 2006-06-09, 04:54 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: