2024-04-19, 21:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Penalty Topic w/ smileys (WTF?)  (Read 7398 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2006-09-14, 09:03 »

I don't really know what to say about things like this. I mean, yeah, if someone murdered a member of my immediate family for no reasons except for personal gain, hell yes. Heck, I can bring the death penalty faster for them. =) OOH it makes me mad just to think about it.  o.o Everyone has their own views on this subject.. I guess we all almost think alike.
Are you bloody JOKING ME!?
This is a copy/paste of a post written by "an anonymous" person, in from a forum that will remain anonymous, from a topic named "Death Penalty", classified as "Serious Discussion". I think that the author missed the point here, since he's talking about death penalty with smileys! I seriously can't understand this kind of people: they talk about politics like they knew about it, they defend positions like they cared about them, and they do this all with smileys, since it's the only way these ignorants know how to talk. Jeez.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-14, 10:24 »

I can see politics being discussed here with people thinking they have knowledge proper on their side. No difference there. I'm sure they care about their positions and opinion, smileys or no. Lastly, I fail to see how the usage of smileys on a forum is indicative of ignorance.

In fact, whoever typed that did something very wise: he started the message with a sentence to give an outline of what is to follow in the post, much like a disclaimer. He doesn't really know (hence your first claim 'talking like they know about it' is drawn into question) and has the guts to say so.

I'm not saying the post makes a lot of sense otherwise, but I don't really see what you're getting worked up about, and what you base your claims on?

This is a serious post. :]
« Last Edit: 2006-09-14, 10:25 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-14, 11:57 »

The problem here is that he's talking about the killing of a human being with a friggin' smile on the face. That's sick IMO. It's like saying "you're grandmother died" while laughing. Seriously, what would you think of that person?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-14, 12:11 »

Now that's a gripe worthy of a rant. That's what it should have read in your first post.

I don't share the sentiment, but now it makes sense.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-09-14, 17:40 »

I can explain the smiley.  First, this part:

if someone murdered a member of my immediate family
explains this part:

I can bring the death penalty faster for them. =)
This is referring to making a revenge killing, hence the smiley.  The smiley is playing the role of a smirk in this case, not a happy "I wuv you" smiley.

As for killing people with a smile on your face, it happens all across the world every day.[/color]

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-14, 20:30 »

So what if it does? To me, it's still wrong to talk about it with smileys. Worse, he even joked with the topic! Death penalty sure is a comical subject, so why not make a joke or two to show the people that I'm a funny guy, better yet, let me express in smileys just how comical this subject is!

Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-15, 00:57 »

now im not one for political views.....and i dont rememebr exactly if california has the death penalty.........btu they better freaking keep it. im all for the death penalty. however a friend of mine made an ineteresting comment about death row.......and basically they said "if they're going to die anyway, whats the point of keeping their death prolonged?" and i brought that comment up with someone else i knew and they basically said "...because if they happened to be proven innocent, then we won't be killing an innocent person"

which i entirely agree with. but seriously, the death penalty needs to be reinitiated in some states, whomever they may be.

and as a side note, thank GOD for texas. Slipgate - Wink

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-09-15, 05:38 »

I understand what you're saying Kruz.  I will say this much.  Most people who joke about death have never seen it, or have never had it affect them personally.  Not all, but most.  There are also some people who make light of things that they, deep down, have difficulty dealing with so that's their answer to avoiding having to deal with difficult thoughts and feelings.  They can't take it head on so they laugh it off and hide their vulnerability from their so-called friends.  I'm offering this only to help describe why some people may react incongruently with the gravity of the subject matter.  I also don't know how you feel as a rule about this person overall, which I think may play an unspoken part in your rant.  In my observations of behavior, often times people will react one way toward someone they already dislike, while passing over an identical behavior in someone they do not.

Let's expand this thought and do a little experiment.  Draco, in her post above, discussed the death penalty in a serious manner, but also included a smiley in the end in her reference about Texas.  Now, how do you feel about this since I've drawn attention to it?

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2006-09-15, 08:40 »

Provoked, since the whole topic: 1) Isn't about agreeing (or not) with death penalty; 2) It's about people who use smileys while discussing the death penalty. I do not feel offended unlike the post I quoted, since Draco isn't joking with the matter, nor joking at all. Draco is reinforcing, with the smiley, thankfulness for the existance (or not, I don't know if the death penalty is applied in Texas) of death penalty in the state of Texas and is expressing an opinion.

Basically, the smiley, in this case, isn't completely misplaced, like in the post I quoted.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2006-09-15, 19:48 »

What you provided was clarification of what it was that was offending you, which is exactly what I hoped I would provoke you into doing.  My apoligies to Draco on doing that at her expense.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-15, 19:48 by Phoenix » Logged

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #10 on: 2006-09-18, 20:04 »

All this talk, over a freggin smiley, wow, just wow.

I understand what your getting at, but for once, I stand by Tabun.

Draco

Hell Knight

« Reply #11 on: 2006-09-20, 01:40 »

Quote from: Phoenix
What you provided was clarification of what it was that was offending you, which is exactly what I hoped I would provoke you into doing.  My apoligies to Draco on doing that at her expense.
lol xD i actually found that quiet interesting to read. and in reality, i dont know if the death penalty IS used in Texas, however Texas doesn't take murderers and rapists etc lightly. They do what needs to be done and they get it done QUICKLY.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-20, 01:41 by Draco » Logged

Rev 9:6 "And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: